Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Friends: Team Ross or Team Rachel?  (Read 653 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: June 14, 2019, 10:38:42 PM »

I know the show is a bit dated now, but it's still incredibly funny and at one time was the most popular show on the planet. Looking back on it now though, there is one issue that still divides fans, when Ross and Rachel broke up (the first time) were you on the side of Ross or Rachel.

If you want to put forth your opinion below, please do so, but remember that it is just your opinion. It's a subjective issue with no right or wrong answers, so be kind to anyone who may have a differing opinion to yours. Also, let's try and keep the focus on this show rather than others.

Let the comments begin!  Cool

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 10:45:34 PM »

THEY WERE ON A BREAK!!!

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 10:52:23 PM »

THEY WERE ON A BREAK!!!
LOL!

So I take it you're on Team Ross then.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 11:39:49 PM »

As I was 14 at the time and had no experience at all in relationships (first Girlfriend was at 17)..I really didn't have an opinion at the time.  As an adult, while I think they both acted a bit immature leading up to it, Rachel was more so the victim than Ross I feel.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 12:06:40 PM »

I just so happen to be rewatching the show on Netflix when the break-up episode came on.

Before I talk about the break-up itself, I want to focus on something Phoebe brings up later in the series. She says that Ross is particularly emotionally damaged from his split up with Carol (his first wife). Before that, he was very trusting and not at all jealous. However, once Carol left him for Susan then all his trusts issues were shattered. He even admits to Rachel that he thinks he loves her more than he did Carol.

So, focussing on his relationship with Rachel. From the moment Rachel meets Mark at her new job, Ross’s jealousy rears its ugly head. Yes, Mark may have been interested in Rachel (even though at this point Mark is in a relationship of his own) however, neither Mark nor Rachel exhibited any interest in the other.

Ross cannot help being jealous, but he should trust that Rachel would not do anything with Mark, even if Mark wanted something to happen.

What particularly enraged me about Ross was when he went with Rachel to the fashion lecture and fell asleep. An argument was made that it was boring (to him) or he was tired. But what cannot be excused it when he belittles the lecture in a conversation afterwards.

Everyone knows how passionate Ross is about dinosaurs and, while they may make fun of him for it (in a friendly way), they never belittle it. It’s clear to all that Ross doesn’t think of dinosaurs as “just as a job”. However, that is what he calls Rachel’s job; he basically doesn’t think she should take it seriously as it’s not something he himself is interested in. It's also long been established how important fashion is to Rachel. That is in no way being a supportive boyfriend. I

Now, on the subject of the break-up itself, yes Rachel said the words "maybe we need to a break......a break from us", but it was clearly out of frustration of having just had the same argument again over nothing. Ross’s jealousy has been going on for weeks, if not months, so it is understandable that she would say something like that out of frustration and exasperation. But what about Ross’s actions? Were they justified?

If Rachel was serious about them breaking up, regardless if it was in the heat of the moment, does that excuse Ross from going out and having sex with someone else mere hours later? No. That’s a d*ck move.

If Rachel was not serious about them breaking up, and she said something she shouldn’t in the heat of the moment, does that excuse Ross from going out and having sex with someone else mere hours later? No. That’s a d*ck move.

So let’s examine Ross’s actions the next day. He gets the voicemail from Rachel and realises the horrible mistake he has made. Rachel still wants him, but he has another woman in his flat. Obviously he needs to get her out, but should he tell Rachel? Maybe it’s wrong of me to say, but I can understand his reaction of trying to cover up the whole incident (I’m not saying it’s right, but I can understand it).

I think, even if he had confessed to Rachel rather than covering it up, she would have had the same reaction as when Gunther told her.

Taking all this into account, I would say that despite Rachel saying they should take a break out of frustration, Ross is in the wrong and was directly responsible for the entire situation in the first place due to his major trust issues. It’s one thing not to trust other men. That’s totally fine. But he should have trusted that Rachel would turn them down. Even Monica says as much to Ross a few episodes before when Ross was complaining about her working so much alongside Mark.

If he had trusted Rachel, there would have been no arguments or fights. Then the “hot girl with the belly button ring from the Xerox place” wouldn’t have been a factor. However, he didn’t trust Rachel (due to the situation with his ex-wife) and he is solely responsible for sleeping with someone else. Rachel had Mark over in that episode and she managed to keep her pants on.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 12:44:03 AM »

I'm team Ross all the way in that since High School, he has loved her and when they thought her date was standing her up, Ross who was never planning on going got dressed up just to have her date pick her up. 

Sure, he's not perfect but no one is and he's had a bad marriage previously with someone who left him for another woman while also raising his son.  Sure, both he and Rachel have a lot of history, some good and some bad.  No matter what, he's always loved her even after they broke up

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: