Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: "Anonymous"  (Read 12283 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 05:17:31 AM »

Or maybe they are gungans! Hunt them down!!!

LOL.

In all seriousness if something gnarly happened as crappy as it would be, there is so much irony in it because there have been movies made about those such things.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Stingere
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -5

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 12:20:37 AM »

Anonymous are not a threat. They are not organized. Their only skills are virtual. Peel them away from their computer systems, and they are as helpless as a man without limbs. If they become organized and obtain funds to create a paramilitary-like group, everything changes, but the odds are against it.

Without darkness, there is no light. Everything is based on comparison.

Dark Side points appreciated.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 12:33:21 AM »

Anonymous are not a threat. They are not organized. Their only skills are virtual. Peel them away from their computer systems, and they are as helpless as a man without limbs. If they become organized and obtain funds to create a paramilitary-like group, everything changes, but the odds are against it.

Just because their skills are only computer-based does not rule them out as a threat.  Do you know how much of the world is run on computers nowadays?  Everything.  Your point about their organization is well taken, but I maintain that if they got organized they could indeed be a real threat.

Darth Stingere
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 12:52:15 AM »

Just because their skills are only computer-based does not rule them out as a threat.  Do you know how much of the world is run on computers nowadays?  Everything.  Your point about their organization is well taken, but I maintain that if they got organized they could indeed be a real threat.

I believe that any government could handle them effectively, whether or not they were organized. Granted, I do tend to downplay the significance of computers, so your point is very valid.

BlessedWrath
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 1

Whipmaker, maillesmith, writer, gamer.

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »

Live Free or Die Hard (Bruce Willis). We are living in the Cyberpunk age. As the power of legitimate, legal, individual voice grows weaker, and the power of currency to replace the vote grows stronger, we go toward these things. Everything that has been foretold by Post-Apocalyptic movies, science fiction books and games about the downfall of society in favor of roving cybergangs, and the power of technology to weaken our ability to survive is gradually coming to pass.

This group seems to be nothing more than another sign of the times. Global community systems are being pushed forward by the hour. As we approach that global community, it is inevitable that groups will find ways to form, organize, and utilize their manpower to achieve their ends. There are always drawbacks to consider, and I don't think that our new technology has been spun in such a way as the public sees those drawbacks. With global community, privacy is essentially ended. That's one of the things that has people scared about this group.

You can google anyone. You can find their addresses, phone numbers, even social security information. My family wonders why I'm off the grid as much as I am. It's because I know what's possible. Though I would never use that knowledge (and I'm sure I wouldn't know how to do so) against anyone else, I do use it to keep myself safe. I don't want anyone knowing where I am, or how to find me, simply because of things like this. They can call me paranoid all they want to, but I pointed out that this could happen by the time I hit my teens. I'm now past 30.

Safe is gone. What matters now is survival. The legal protections we are supposed to rely on are being steadily eroded on all sides, and I'm not sure there's any way to save them. For myself, and those I love, I'm staying off the grid, out of sight, and in the shadows. Hopefully I'll be a harder target that way.

It is said that energy itself is derived from the interactions between positively and negatively charged particles. The Force, composed of energy and governed by it, is no different. Light or Dark, deny either side and argue against the nature of the whole. Your words cannot split the Universe.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 01:05:38 AM »

I am inspired to muse.

The world demands you join Legion, and joining sacrifices your beliefs as an individual. Standing by your beliefs brands you Rebel, and slanders you destined to fall, but the more who stand, the firmer that stand. The firmer that stand, the harder they become to fell.

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -187

Founder of The Grey Sith Order

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 07:44:38 AM »

I am inspired to muse.

The world demands you join Legion, and joining sacrifices your beliefs as an individual. Standing by your beliefs brands you Rebel, and slanders you destined to fall, but the more who stand, the firmer that stand. The firmer that stand, the harder they become to fell.

My Brother Master Attoru Speaks Truly... The Internet Is The Key To The Gateway To So Much of Our World Today... Hospital ER's... Financial Records... Criminal Records... Etc...

Someone With The Power To Manipulate The Web At Will... Would Be A Individual Not To Be Taken Lightly...

and My Brother "Nemesis" Master Manroon Also Speaks Wisdom That All Would Be Wise To Take Heed Of, and Ponder Thoughtfully  Cool

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 08:29:09 AM »

Yes, it is certainly interesting just how integrated our world has become with technology. The internet and computers run EVERYTHING now! Someone remarked earlier about staying off the grid, and I must admit I've thought about the extreme of that in the past. About keeping my records low key and to a minimum. No trail and all that jazz. Still, I think it is imperative that we all make a point to not let fear of what horrors might come from Tech-Dependance rule us. Sure, see the possibilities, prepare for what you can, but remember the scale. Balance freedom and security. If we let anything strike enough fear into us to tip that scale too far towards security, then they've already won. If not by taking power themselves, by removing our freedoms and giving the power to someone else, and even then it becomes easier for them to take said power BECAUSE too much on the side of security puts power in a concentrated place, where it can more easily by seized and/or abused.

Man, it's amazing how deep I can get at 12:30 AM with what's left of a liter of Sprite and a working laptop! I haven't talked like that since Senior Government in HS! XD

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Darth Stingere
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 04:34:54 PM »

I will admit that Anonymous poses a threat. However- I strongly believe that, although they can cause some temporary issues, it's nothing that the FSB or any other counterintelligence/counterterror international powerhouse can't eliminate. Anonymous are good hackers, but the FSB (or CIA here in the US) are better hackers and assassins. I speak from personal experience.

SOTJ
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

Serenity, the way of the Jedi is serenity.

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 04:42:25 PM »

I will admit that Anonymous poses a threat. However- I strongly believe that, although they can cause some temporary issues, it's nothing that the FSB or any other counterintelligence/counterterror international powerhouse can't eliminate. Anonymous are good hackers, but the FSB (or CIA here in the US) are better hackers and assassins. I speak from personal experience.

I normally encourage debate, no matter the parties involved, but it's pretty hard to argue with her (considering her experience) on that Roll Eyes

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -187

Founder of The Grey Sith Order

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 02:40:30 AM »

I Am Not Attempting To Mock You, I Give You My Word.

But When You Mention Your "Experience"... What Do You Mean??? 

Did You Work For The CIA, or FBI (If You Say You Worked For The FSB, I'll Be Pretty Hesitant To Believe You, Unless Your A Little On the Older Side...)

@ To Master Manroon (My Most Honorable Nemesis Wink!!!)

Again, You Have Honored Us With The Greatest of Wisdom Wink!!!  Very Well Said Indeed My Brother  Cool

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

Darth Stingere
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 02:59:55 AM »

I Am Not Attempting To Mock You, I Give You My Word.

But When You Mention Your "Experience"... What Do You Mean??? 

Did You Work For The CIA, or FBI (If You Say You Worked For The FSB, I'll Be Pretty Hesitant To Believe You, Unless Your A Little On the Older Side...)

@ To Master Manroon (My Most Honorable Nemesis Wink!!!)

Again, You Have Honored Us With The Greatest of Wisdom Wink!!!  Very Well Said Indeed My Brother  Cool

I was referring to my experience in the Russian armed forces, so the assassination part is where my experience comes in, not the hacking. And I disagree with SOTJ, as my experience has very little to do with computers. Therefore I am as easy to argue with as any on this matter.

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -141

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 06:53:23 AM »

This isn't really a politcal issue since as a country we have been moving in this direction, during the last two (different party) presidencies. This is a basic civil rights/ personal freedom issue. Its a scary bill, and would move us ever closer to a police state. Is what I believe they are trying to say, but the V for Vendette mask and the grainy style to the video make them look like amatuerish hacks. I don't know if going to a graphic novel/ sci-fi look was supposed to get them respect or make it a satire but overall it was a very weird video.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:58:18 AM by Darth Severus » Logged

It is not the side of the force we chose, but our actions that define us.
Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2011, 04:59:26 AM »

This isn't really a politcal issue since as a country we have been moving in this direction, during the last two (different party) presidencies. This is a basic civil rights/ personal freedom issue. Its a scary bill, and would move us ever closer to a police state. Is what I believe they are trying to say, but the V for Vendette mask and the grainy style to the video make them look like amatuerish hacks. I don't know if going to a graphic novel/ sci-fi look was supposed to get them respect or make it a satire but overall it was a very weird video.

Yeah, I have to agree. The video creeped me out. *shudders*

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

BlessedWrath
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 1

Whipmaker, maillesmith, writer, gamer.

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2011, 07:02:47 AM »

My question (and it's really more of an observation) is this: If the group is out for the little guy, why use the very same tactics (Mystery, evasion, fear, hacking, etc, etc) as "the enemy"? Because...you know... that's the sort of hero I want in my corner: Somebody who will fit fully half the dictionary definitions of the word "Terrorist".

Breaking the law to uphold the law is the sort of paradoxical logic one can only expect from Hollywood. I know the cops do it every day, but they're cops. We've come to expect that sort of thing.

Eh...the whole deal just makes me worry a little more about who's coming to take away my progress. If that was their goal, then I guess they won. Trouble is, when logical people worry, they prepare. They plan, they build, they stock, and they strategize. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if their "freedom fighting" doesn't spark off its own set of problems.

It is said that energy itself is derived from the interactions between positively and negatively charged particles. The Force, composed of energy and governed by it, is no different. Light or Dark, deny either side and argue against the nature of the whole. Your words cannot split the Universe.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: