Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Cosplay is Not Consent  (Read 8293 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 07:43:50 PM »

Hey I cleaned it up. I have a severe aversion to metal in my skin. You should see me freaking out over a vaccine needle.
I call any man who has an aversion to that piercing a chicken.  Grin

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 07:44:52 PM »

Time to work on my Melvyn cosplay.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 07:45:41 PM »

Time to work on my Melvyn cosplay.
Jedi Melvyn or Sith Melvyn?

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 08:55:23 PM »

I call any man who has an aversion to that piercing a chicken.  Grin
METAL DOESN'T TOUCH THAT! EVER!!!!!!!

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 09:06:29 PM »

Like I said. Chicken! LOL

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 09:35:19 PM »

I'm kinda nervous sometimes about the costume I'm working on... it shows just enough skin to be considered an invitation to touch by jerkoffs.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 09:46:35 PM »

I'm kinda nervous sometimes about the costume I'm working on... it shows just enough skin to be considered an invitation to touch by jerkoffs.
I know some cosplayers have a spotter; a friend who is in normal clothes who stands nearby to spot when some asshat is about to do something they shouldn't be doing, whether they be touching or grabbing a cosplayer or prop. Maybe that's something you could look into?

Alternatively, depending on where the Con is and if it's possible, you could wander around in normal clothes first, soak up the atmosphere, buy stuff etc. Then, go back to your room, change into costume and come back to just pose for photos. At London Excel, where one of the big Cons is held, a lot of people stay in hotels or B&Bs nearby and do this. There tend to be certain times of the day when most photographers will be looking to take photos (basically avoiding midday as the overhead light is too harsh).

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2019, 11:01:39 PM »

I know some cosplayers have a spotter; a friend who is in normal clothes who stands nearby to spot when some asshat is about to do something they shouldn't be doing, whether they be touching or grabbing a cosplayer or prop. Maybe that's something you could look into?

Thanks Knox. Some of my friends will appreciate this.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 03:04:39 AM »

Agreed.  I was cosplaying as Captain America a few years ago and some dude slapped a woman on her behind since she played a sexy Spider Gwen and when she hit him, he called her a word that rhymes with itch and starts with a "b" and threw his arm back as if he was going to slap her. So I walked up to him, grabbed his arm and turned him around when he started with "What the **** do you want, you st...." when I knocked him out. I got applaud with that but I raised my voice and said "Anyone who wants to sexually assault someone, you send them to me"

I'm not asking for any applaud or anything, when we're talking about things like this, no one should touch another without consent in a sexual or anyway

I don't take harassment towards anyone lightly, let alone sexual assault. 
I'll gladly assist on things like that, Cap Infinit

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 06:32:51 AM »

The spotter idea is a good one. Thanks Knox.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2019, 12:52:05 PM »

I've never had that issue. Of course it helps that I'm a 6'1" figure generally clad in black with armor. I've been told I'm quite imposing. However, I'm usually very keen to check out props, but am always sure to ask permission first.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2019, 02:43:37 AM »

I've never had that issue. Of course it helps that I'm a 6'1" figure generally clad in black with armor. I've been told I'm quite imposing. However, I'm usually very keen to check out props, but am always sure to ask permission first.
And that last part is the key.
I get asked about the Wrath by people at cons a good amount of the time.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2019, 02:35:08 PM »

And that last part is the key.
I get asked about the Wrath by people at cons a good amount of the time.
The biggest reason I love carrying Project:BOOYA! at cons is for photo ops with people that don't have costume/saber. I'm able to split it and offer them 1/3 colors, and they're like "No @#$%ing way." More out of they can't believe someone is willing to let them hold a treasured prop. It's a great feeling.

The girl that took this found someone to take her pic with us.

I did this very thing. She said I made her year. She couldn't believe it.

Sig by For Tyeth

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 02:39:07 PM »

Alternatively, depending on where the Con is and if it's possible, you could wander around in normal clothes first, soak up the atmosphere, buy stuff etc. Then, go back to your room, change into costume and come back to just pose for photos. At London Excel, where one of the big Cons is held, a lot of people stay in hotels or B&Bs nearby and do this. There tend to be certain times of the day when most photographers will be looking to take photos (basically avoiding midday as the overhead light is too harsh).

Yup. We do that to our female cosplayers when we all go to cons.  It's sad when you have to do this to keep women safe

Asuan
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 39

Gray Jedi

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2019, 04:39:39 PM »

While I've never been sexually assaulted while in cosplay, I have been assaulted.  Back when glomping was a thing I'd been glomped to the point of getting knocked down, even had an over zealous fan  run at me full speed and jump on my back while hugging me around the neck so tight that I couldn't breathe... I'd been off crutches for all of a week.

Now that I am older and stuff I spot for other cosplayers to prevent unwanted advances of any kind.

Sage Master and Form 1 Instructor
Affiliated with: Kyber Odyssey Saber Academy
Jedi Council of Florida( https://www.facebook.com/groups/1969827806616014/ )
Dark Apprentice V4 VA
Scorpion FO
Dark Initiate V2 SRD
Dark Initiate V2 AB
Dark Sentinel v4 R

----Wish List---
2x Yari Pike W/ Couplers (Black/Silver) {Saving $ to buy. 28/94}
Dark Sentinel v4 Staff in Violet Amethyst {Saving $ to buy for Yule}

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: