Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Cosplay is Not Consent  (Read 8222 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2019, 04:57:24 PM »

While I've never been sexually assaulted while in cosplay, I have been assaulted.  Back when glomping was a thing I'd been glomped to the point of getting knocked down, even had an over zealous fan  run at me full speed and jump on my back while hugging me around the neck so tight that I couldn't breathe... I'd been off crutches for all of a week.

Now that I am older and stuff I spot for other cosplayers to prevent unwanted advances of any kind.
After researching, it sounds like the infamous "attack hug."

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 464

We are what they grow beyond

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2019, 07:22:58 AM »

I've never really seen problems amounting to sexual assault at cons so far beyond a couple of comments (that usually were quickly answered either by the person targeted or any bystander).

None of the female cosplayers I've gone to cons with ever really had issues like that. It may be partly due to Swiss people having a certain restrain pre-programmed by culture or because our cons are somewhat small. It could also be because the women I accompanied usually didn't go for cosplays involving little skin coverage, or the fact that they looked battle-ready or that they were surrounded by other battle-ready intimidating sword-wielding stunt performers. I don't know.

Anyway, I agree that cosplaying in a costume showing a little more than your usual daily clothing would NEVER means automatic consent for being touched or having pictures taken from all angles. Witnessing such behaviour would probably have me drawing my saber (aware that many others around would be doing the same). I may not send them to a hospital, but they sure would feel threatened enough to know not to do it again.

Never witnessed any "attack hugs" either (other than surprise over-enthusiastic hugs from a best friend that is).

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, AB with windows
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, SRD with windows
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Dominix V4, Stunt, BR with windows
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2019, 08:20:13 PM »

I wouldn't mess with Logos in his armor either. Cheesy

I actually would wear the Nomi Sunrider outfit, or something similar, as an everyday outfit. I'm not shy about showing a little skin, I just don't because the area I live in is very conservative, so wearing a shirt like that to the grocery store can cause problems. I had a friend kicked out because she stopped on her way from the gym, because a sports bra "doesn't count as a shirt."

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2019, 08:31:44 PM »

Never witnessed any "attack hugs" either (other than surprise over-enthusiastic hugs from a best friend that is).
It is something to behold.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 464

We are what they grow beyond

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2019, 05:16:02 AM »

It is something to behold.

LOL  Grin
Point for this visual example

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, AB with windows
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, SRD with windows
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Dominix V4, Stunt, BR with windows
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2019, 09:35:08 PM »

I call any man who has an aversion to that piercing a chicken.  Grin
For me, piercing is allowed only for medicinal purposes.  I've donated blood (both whole blood donation and platelet pheresis) many times, but I like my skin to stay intact as much as possible.  Call me a chicken if you like, but when you consider that when I was matched with a patient for the platelet pheresis, I was sitting for two hours at a stretch with a relatively large-bore needle in each arm, twice a week, for three to six months, I think you'd have to admit that I'm a committed chicken.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Darth_Malignan
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -14

Dark Side -- Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2020, 02:29:46 PM »

Agreed.  I was cosplaying as Captain America a few years ago and some dude slapped a woman on her behind since she played a sexy Spider Gwen and when she hit him, he called her a word that rhymes with itch and starts with a "b" and threw his arm back as if he was going to slap her. So I walked up to him, grabbed his arm and turned him around when he started with "What the **** do you want, you st...." when I knocked him out. I got applaud with that but I raised my voice and said "Anyone who wants to sexually assault someone, you send them to me"

I'm not asking for any applaud or anything, when we're talking about things like this, no one should touch another without consent in a sexual or anyway

I don't take harassment towards anyone lightly, let alone sexual assault.  

<REDACTED>
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:36:50 AM by Infinit01 » Logged

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2020, 02:46:22 PM »

<REDACTED>
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:35:16 AM by Infinit01 » Logged

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth_Malignan
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2020, 04:15:04 PM »

<REDACTED>
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:35:23 AM by Infinit01 » Logged

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2020, 11:39:02 AM »

There are people who are sensitive to these topics and have lived through said events so let's not discuss this further as to respect them

Darth_Malignan
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2020, 12:31:33 PM »

There are people who are sensitive to these topics and have lived through said events so let's not discuss this further as to respect them

Understood. My apologies.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: