Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Archon v2 Review  (Read 7185 times)
Darth Slater
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -8

« on: December 12, 2011, 06:38:52 AM »

When it comes to lightsaber hilts, the Star Wars movie hilts seem to be the ones that catch my eye the best. I’m not sure if it’s the nostalgia factor at work or if I just like the way they are built. Regardless, I’m a fan of the Star Wars movie prop hilts, and when I saw the Archon v2, I knew I had to get it.

A quick round of context. I bought a Luke ROTJ Ultra FX saber from Ultrasabers in January of this year. While I liked the hilt and such, the soundboard was very quiet and left more to be desired. Fast forward to now, and a lot has changed on at Ultrasabers. They have several new high quality hilt designs  and the best soundboard on the planet. After seeing the Archon v2 and visualizing it with the Obsidian soundboard, I knew I had to have it, especially with its similarities to the Luke ROTJ saber (minus the neck color and control box).

The Hilt: As I’ve already mentioned, the hilt has a striking resemblance to Luke’s ROTJ hilt, which is what I love about it. Basically, Ultrasabers took that design and made it better. With the box absent, your hands can hold this hilt in a variety of positions, though I tend to find myself holding it near the neck of the saber. One big surprise with this hilt is the fact that its feels virtually weightless; it’s almost as light as the Ultraedge mid-grade blade that I got with it. This makes it great for a single-handed dueling or spins. The hilt also measures about 11.75 in., so it’s got a good length to it as well.

AV Switch: I have to say that I’m thoroughly impressed with the illuminated AV switch. I got this one in green to match the saber color. Besides the switch having the cool accent light effect, I like that the switch is on level with the saber. I don’t know why, but it just seems like a cleaner way to include a switch on the saber. I still appreciate the standard switch, but this version just had a better look and feel to it.

Soundboard: As I said in my Consular review, the Obsidian soundboard puts all my other sabers (Master Replicas and Hasbro models) to shame. The snap hiss startup sound is loud and crisp, as well as the idle hum. When you have the saber on, the soundboard responses appropriately with your movements, making it feel like an actual lightsaber. I remember trying to explain how cool the MR or Hasbro sabers were when I swung them around with friends, only to have them remark at how they were nice, but that the sound wasn’t very spot on in terms its responsiveness. Well, let’s just say with this new saber, they have nothing to complain about anymore. It’s a remarkable soundboard, and for $75 or slightly more (depending on the saber), you can’t go wrong. Remember, the old MR soundboards used to cost $150 back in the day. The difference between the two is like night and day.

All in all, this is a great saber and one that is worth adding to your collection. I know mine is already better off with it. And now my friends, enjoy some pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63019255@N08/sets/72157628383521787/

Darth Slater

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »

Great review!  Glad you like the Archon, I'm a fellow Luke ROTJ fan and I gotta say that it's pretty spot on.  I think the reason for the neck color is to give it a "Luke V2" look, which references one of several hilts to be used in various shots of ROTJ:

IMO, the lack of a control box is a plus - you're basically giving up some screen accuracy for combat practicality which is fine with me.  After all, combat sabers are what Ultrasabers is all about!

Great looking saber man, enjoy it!

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:52:48 PM »

And another good saber you bought. Lucky. xp

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Mordhel
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 03:36:29 AM »

I just got my archon v2 today and I think it's thirsty for blood! Was messing around taking it apart and putting it together and I ended up slicing open my thumb somehow. Then I got a cut on the middle finger of my other hand while I was swing and spinning it around.

I'm very happy with the saber but should it be this vicious towards it's owner? Maybe I should wrap most of the hilt in something.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 06:44:07 AM »

Nice pics. What blade are you using for your Archon V2? Mid Grade? Looks like it to me. The blade looks ubber bright.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO

Darth Slater
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 03:22:03 PM »

@Mordhel: Ouch! It sounds like your Archon is possessed or something! I think a full hilt wrap might be in order there. lol

@DarthCantus: Actually, the opposite. I typically use regular UltraEdge blades. I may be in the minority, but I like the fuller look better. The mid-grades seem underwhelming to me (the whole light in a tube look and all). But again, just my humble opinion.

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 04:36:06 PM »

Now I'm stuck between the  Archon v2 or the Guardian for my next save with Obsidian....…great review !

dark side points please

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »

Now I'm stuck between the  Archon v2 or the Guardian for my next save with Obsidian....…great review !

Well......

Do you want a smaller hilt or a bigger hilt?

The Guardian is 13' in.

The Archon V2 is 11' in.

The Archon V2 rules, it handles really well.

I can't speak for the Guardian but I do have a bigger pommel on my Bellicose which makes it longer than 13.5' in. and it handles really better than the Archon V2.

Though that's just me because I prefer larger hilts.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 04:14:18 AM »

Great review!  Glad you like the Archon, I'm a fellow Luke ROTJ fan and I gotta say that it's pretty spot on.  I think the reason for the neck color is to give it a "Luke V2" look, which references one of several hilts to be used in various shots of ROTJ:

IMO, the lack of a control box is a plus - you're basically giving up some screen accuracy for combat practicality which is fine with me.  After all, combat sabers are what Ultrasabers is all about!

Great looking saber man, enjoy it!

The neck could also be black to make it look thinner. That's what I noticed on mine (just came today  Grin).

Darth Slater
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 03:59:49 PM »

Just an update for all us saber enthusiasts. I have a brother-in-law who has an knack for mechanical work and painting when it comes to cars. Now, since I'm a fan of the Luke ROTJ saber and wanted to replicate that look as close as possible. Well, I gave him the neck piece and this is what he came back with:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63019255@N08/6766010327/in/photostream

I wasn't sure if this was too gold of a color at first, but once he finished up with all the clear coating, the piece looks magnificent. I'm not at home right now, but when I get back there later tonight, I plan on posting some more pics of this saber with the new neck piece.

Simply put, I'm beyond pleased with this piece. Funny how a little color can change a saber's look. Now, all I need is for Ultra to add the control box for me one of these days (I know, the dreaded control box), and I'll have my own custom made Luke ROTJ with the Obsidian soundboard, which was the plan all along Smiley

P.S. I'm not sure if the picture will show up or not. As of right now, it uploaded in flickr with no problems, but I can't see it on the screen. Maybe you guys will have better luck than I'm having at the moment. We'll see.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 04:02:16 PM »

Just an update for all us saber enthusiasts. I have a brother-in-law who has an knack for mechanical work and painting when it comes to cars. Now, since I'm a fan of the Luke ROTJ saber and wanted to replicate that look as close as possible. Well, I gave him the neck piece and this is what he came back with:

I wasn't sure if this was too gold of a color at first, but once he finished up with all the clear coating, the piece looks magnificent. I'm not at home right now, but when I get back there later tonight, I plan on posting some more pics of this saber with the new neck piece.

Simply put, I'm beyond pleased with this piece. Funny how a little color can change a saber's look. Now, all I need is for Ultra to add the control box for me one of these days (I know, the dreaded control box), and I'll have my own custom made Luke ROTJ with the Obsidian soundboard, which was the plan all along Smiley

P.S. I'm not sure if the picture will show up or not. As of right now, it uploaded in flickr with no problems, but I can't see it on the screen. Maybe you guys will have better luck than I'm having at the moment. We'll see.

I gotta see this.

M.J. and I did the same thing but I'm going to have to redo it.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 07:26:29 PM »

I seriously CAN NOT wait to see those new pics!! That neck looks incredible!

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 09:38:32 PM »

Hoping to get an Archon V2 with my tax money later in the week. Cheesy We can finally do them so hopefully I get a huge amount so I can do a saber.

Darth Slater
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 05:23:59 AM »

At last, the moment many of you have been waiting for. Here's the great reveal:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63019255@N08/6769276175/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63019255@N08/6769278059/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63019255@N08/6769280367/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63019255@N08/6769282745/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63019255@N08/6769284533/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63019255@N08/6769286551/in/photostream/

Simply put, I love this saber so much more now Smiley

Darth Gekido
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -75

Ronin Sith Marauder

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 06:09:18 AM »

That is a very cool saber. Your modification makes it look very much like Luke's saber from ROTJ. Nicely done!

"Honor is a fool's prize... and glory is of no use to the dead."
      "Mizz'ri"-FO Bellicose, Obsidian, Long Grooves
      "Excrucio"-DVA Prophecy V3, Obsidian, Silver FoC
      "BMF"-Hasbro Force FX Mace Windu
      "Pain"-Anakin ROTS US FX, VA 
Dark Side points, please

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: