Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Consular Review  (Read 20012 times)
Darth Slater
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -8

« on: December 12, 2011, 06:42:26 AM »

You ever write up a complete review, only to accidently hit the back button on your internet browser, and then subsqeuntly lose the entire review and have to start from scratch? Well, let’s just say I now know what that feels like. And it’s not fun. Nevertheless, here is my review of Ultrasabers’ Consular lightsaber.

For quick context, I’m not a fan of the saber designs outside of the Star Wars universe. For some reason, even though I appreciate the designs that Ultrasabers and other sabersmiths come up with, the movie hilts just catch my eye for some reason. That’s why the Consular got my attention. While I know Ultrasabers won’t call this saber Qui-Gon’s hilt, it’s pretty darn close in terms of design. And that’s the reason I picked it up.

The Hilt: When I first saw the pictures of the Consular, I was worried that the black portions of the hilt were a heavy plastic. After receiving the saber, I’m glad this concern was quickly erased. The hilt is solid metal (or more specifically, aircraft aluminum), which gives it a very sturdy felt to it. The hilt is about 1.5 in. wide and has a good weight to it, along with incredible balance. Simply put, this is an ultimate dueling saber with a great design. If you like Qui-Gon’s saber from Episode I, you can’t go wrong with this saber.

The Shroud: This is the piece that makes this saber for me. The shroud gives this saber a unique look and feel. No, you don’t have to worry about the shroud interfering with your grip on the saber. In fact, I barely notice that it’s there when I’m dueling. For those who are on the fence about getting the shroud nickel plated, don’t hesitate and order it with the nickel finish. While the regular finish still works, the nickel-plated version is something special. It truly stands out. And, as Ultrasabers has pointed out before, you can remove the shroud and give the saber a whole different appearance. Yes, it’s like having two different sabers.

Soundboard: I don’t think I need to explain how awesome the Obsidian soundboard is, but what the heck. This is my first Obsidian sound-based saber and it puts all my other sabers (Master Replicas and Hasbro models) to shame. The snap hiss startup sound is loud and crisp, as well as the idle hum. When you have the saber on, the soundboard responses appropriately with your movements, making it feel like an actual lightsaber. I remember trying to explain how cool the MR or Hasbro sabers were when I swung them around with friends, only to have them remark at how they were nice, but that the sound wasn’t very spot on in terms its responsiveness. Well, let’s just say with this new saber, they have nothing to complain about anymore. It’s a remarkable soundboard, and for $75 or slightly more (depending on the saber), you can’t go wrong. Remember, the old MR soundboards used to cost $150 back in the day. The difference between the two is like night and day.

Quick Disconnects: I have to say, I love the concept of quick disconnects. Simply put, you can’t go wrong ordering your saber with them if you indeed or want to change the color of your saber without changing the hilt. The QD are simple to remove and install. All you have to do is unscrew the emitter on your saber, shake the QD led loose, detach the module and attach another one and you’re set to go. There’s nothing tricky or difficult about it. I order my Consular with Guardian Blue (my favorite color of the offerings), and I also got QDs in Consular Green and VA. I also have plans to pick up Blazing Red, Arctic Blue and Bane’s Heart when I get the chance.

Misc.: This has nothing to do with the saber, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Ultrasabers customer service is second to none. When this saber arrived, the blade was damaged. I contacted Emory and he had a new blade to me within a week at no charge. I’ll say it again. Ultrasabers’ customer service is second to none. They have always been helpful and responsive in all circumstances.

And with that, enjoy some pictures and a brief review of the Consular hilt as well as the soundboard in comparison with the MR soundboard:

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63019255@N08/sets/72157628383474909/

Video: http://youtu.be/XyNmvMDl3ws

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:15:52 AM »

Good review, here is a point. Grin

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Mitth_Fisto
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -7

I'm Shade, and I'm not here to rescue you.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »

Very nice, I was curious whether an Obsidian really was worth it, now I know.  Point Wink

Cool Chaos, it's good for business.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:08:14 PM »

You ever write up a complete review, only to accidently hit the back button on your internet browser, and then subsqeuntly lose the entire review and have to start from scratch? Well, let’s just say I now know what that feels like. And it’s not fun. Nevertheless, here is my review of Ultrasabers’ Consular lightsaber.

I hate it when that happens!  Totally sends me up a wall... very frustrating indeed.  Glad you like your saber though!

Very nice, I was curious whether an Obsidian really was worth it, now I know.  Point Wink

It is... it really is.  When you get it in your hands and compare it to FX sound or whatever, you'll see Wink  The thing is loud, crisp, and you can change the sounds on it.  Fantastic deal for the money.

BlessedWrath
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 1

Whipmaker, maillesmith, writer, gamer.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 01:50:48 PM »

Exactly how responsive is the Obsidian? One of my worst fears about spending upwards of $400 on a lightsaber replica is that it won't catch my movements accurately enough. I saw in the video that not every movement caused the swing sound. I also want to avoid having it make a swing sound when I'm not doing anything with it (like most Hasbro toys I've seen).

Everything I've seen thus far points to a superior product. Just wondering how superior?

It is said that energy itself is derived from the interactions between positively and negatively charged particles. The Force, composed of energy and governed by it, is no different. Light or Dark, deny either side and argue against the nature of the whole. Your words cannot split the Universe.

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 01:52:03 PM »

Great review , and Great saber!!

dark side points please

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 01:53:20 PM »

Exactly how responsive is the Obsidian? One of my worst fears about spending upwards of $400 on a lightsaber replica is that it won't catch my movements accurately enough. I saw in the video that not every movement caused the swing sound. I also want to avoid having it make a swing sound when I'm not doing anything with it (like most Hasbro toys I've seen).

Everything I've seen thus far points to a superior product. Just wondering how superior?

First of all, great review.

To answer your question the Obsidian is designed so you can alter and manage the level of sensitivity for both swing and clash sounds.  If you want it to be hypersensitive you can actually MAKE it that way.  If you want it to be LESS sensitive you can do that too.

Enjoy your Consular, and keep this thread on topic.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 04:35:04 PM »

Nice saber choice. Is it a first Obsidian saber? I'm hoping to get one soon. How does the Consular saber feel in the hands?

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Darth Slater
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 04:43:50 PM »

Hey again everyone. The Obsidian board is worth every penny you can put into it. I know that it didn't respond every single time I flicked my wrist in the video, but I was also trying to balance holding the phone and putting the right amount of pressure on the saber. Had I shot it using my webcam, I could better demonstrate how well the saber responses. But like others have said, you can alter the sensitivity on the board any way you want. I personally, thus far, enjoy the default Obsidian board sound and sensitivity so much that I don't think I'll change it.

And yes, this is my first Obsidian-based saber. Had Ultrasabers not created this board, I likely would not have made another saber purchase (at least with sound). Now, I'm already on my second Obsidian saber and just might spring on The Guardian (because it's becoming uber difficult to resist it).

I could always post a video of the MR board and Obsidian board in comparison with me freely swinging them if you want to see them in action. But yeah, a great investment. You can't go wrong.

DJ

Darth Slater
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 08:37:05 PM »

@DarthCantus: Forgot to answer the other question you had. The Consular feels great to wield. It feels very sturdy and has a good weight to it (I tend to like my sabers to have a bit more weight in the hilt; my Archon v2 feels like I could toss it like a throwing knife because it is so light). But yeah, I like the feel of the Consular in my hands. It's definitely a two-handed saber (at least when dueling, you have better control with it that way). I tend to find that I grip it near the emitter for some reason. Don't know why, but my hands just feel more comfortable there.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 09:50:35 PM »

@Slater. Cool. What about the Raven saber? I'm going to try and go for that but in full SS edition and with the Starkiller font loaded.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Darth Slater
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 10:18:34 PM »

@DarthCantus: I don't think you can go wrong with a Raven, especially if you're going for The Force Unleashed Dark Side Ending look. That saber is the closest thing I've seen to it at Ultrasabers. I know some other sabersmiths have made it as well, but Ultra's has the best one for the price.

Personally, though, I have my sights set on the Guardian next. I thought I was done with buying any more Ultrasabers, and then that thing comes out. I tried to talk myself out of it, but I can't. It's too nice not to own. I just have to decide now if I get it with the blue AV switch or stick with the standard one. Anyone's take on that is appreciated.

taylorjaymz
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 01:54:09 AM »

@DarthCantus: I don't think you can go wrong with a Raven, especially if you're going for The Force Unleashed Dark Side Ending look. That saber is the closest thing I've seen to it at Ultrasabers. I know some other sabersmiths have made it as well, but Ultra's has the best one for the price.

Personally, though, I have my sights set on the Guardian next. I thought I was done with buying any more Ultrasabers, and then that thing comes out. I tried to talk myself out of it, but I can't. It's too nice not to own. I just have to decide now if I get it with the blue AV switch or stick with the standard one. Anyone's take on that is appreciated.
definetly blue av switch, personally i just spend 500 dollars on a sy phantasm with alll the goodies ncluding two diff colored av switches and i love them so so much for every saber i get from now on that can have av switches will. i only wish that i could have an rgb guardian with 4 diff colored av....

Hasbro Luke FX-STOCK
MR Vader FX-STOCK
MR Maul Half-STOCK
MR-Anakin-STOCK W/Damage
Aeon  v2-CG
CG Prophecy-GB
Phantom V2 custom staff-FO
Phantasm V3 LE STAFF W/OBSIDIAN AND AV SWITCHES(AV-one blue one green)- VA

Amanita
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 06:53:44 PM »

It's too bad you need sound to get the AV switch, if I could get those without needing sound, I would do so on every freaking saber I got!

Waxman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 114

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 10:39:55 PM »

This review helped me to remember a few things.

I keep on forgetting that my own Consular has a Quick-Disconnect.

Really, I could just purchase another LED like Fire Orange or even that Guardian Blue you have (which actually looks really good for not being much of a blue fan) instead of purchasing a new Ultrasaber altogether, that is to say, I totally can't wait to purchase a new one of course.

Actually, after reading this I went about to remove the shroud overlay and boy does it look different!

I kind of want to purchase another Consular now because I think it would look really unique as a Saber Staff without the shroud.

I keep on forgetting the versatile options Ultra gives us, it truly is fantastic.

Ultrasabers:
Bellicose-VA. Bane-BR. Consular-CG. x2 Initiate V3-SY. Aeon V3-GB. x4 Yari [Pike] Extensions.
Grab-Bag:
Aeon V3-GB. Dark Liberator V3-AB. Dominix V2-AB. Dominix V2-GB. Initiate V2-BR
Wishlist:
Manticore-PO. Dark Catalyst-Emerald. Shock LE-SY. Overlord-BR. Bellicose-VA. Archon-CG. Arbiter-AS.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: