Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Fabric Dying Question  (Read 3823 times)
Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« on: July 08, 2019, 07:50:30 AM »

So I have a pair of dark blue jogging style pants, was wondering, could I dye those to say a dark brown or not really? I can't seem to find any straight up brown jogging style pants anywhere so. My size 9 boots fits me better with the thinner kind of pants rather than jean style pants even though I desperately need a size 10 pair of boots now days x.x So anyway, thanks for the info =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 08:39:15 AM »

So I have a pair of dark blue jogging style pants, was wondering, could I dye those to say a dark brown or not really? I can't seem to find any straight up brown jogging style pants anywhere so. My size 9 boots fits me better with the thinner kind of pants rather than jean style pants even though I desperately need a size 10 pair of boots now days x.x So anyway, thanks for the info =]

When it comes to dyeing fabric you can only dye a lighter color into a darker color. That being said, colors that are already dark can't be turned into another darker color, at least it shouldn't be anything close to what you are looking for. You'd be better off in finding a white or cream colored jogging pants and then just dyeing those brown, as you can probably surmise, the trick will be finding them. I had a fun experience dyeing my white cotton gauze into a nice brown color for my Jedi outfit, trust me the whole dyeing process is really not too difficult. You just have to be careful with splashes, where you're doing it, how long you leave it in, etc.

Oh and I recommend RIT dye, they're like #1 in dye.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 03:51:21 PM »

Yeah that's what I always hear. I think fruit of the loom pants has white colors so I'll check those out too. Though, would dark blue pants look good with say brown tunics/classic white tunics or not really? Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 07:06:23 PM »

Also depends on the material.  Nylon doesn't dye well, if at all.  Most synthetics don't, and some naturals are harder than others.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »

What kind of costume are you making?

As others have said, you can only dye lighter colours darker. You can't turn something from dark blue to brown.

Does it have to be jogging bottoms for this costume? Would linen trousers not work? If so, you could buy those in beige or cream and easily dye them brown.

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 08:07:32 PM »

Actually, you can go lighter.  Rit makes a dye remover that (on the right fabric) works surprisingly well.  In the early 00s, I took a brown shirt, used the dye remover, and re-dyed it green.  The only issue is that it did shrink just a bit.  The dye remover won't take it to white.  In this case it took it to off-white, but it worked.  Oh, and Rit makes dyes for synthetic fabrics now.  I don't know how well they work, I'm just offering the information. 

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 08:27:11 PM »

Yeah that's what I always hear. I think fruit of the loom pants has white colors so I'll check those out too. Though, would dark blue pants look good with say brown tunics/classic white tunics or not really? Tongue

Dark blue is definitely a Jedi color so it could work (I'm assuming you're going Jedi.) Difficult to say how well it fits without seeing the costume but typically you can balance colors but having multiple items of the same or similar colors. An all brown costume with blue pants could look a bit odd, same with an all white costume, but it really depends on what you are going for.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 09:29:01 PM »

What about something like this, with the upper body one color, and the pants being blue?

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 03:58:18 AM »

^^^ Beautiful example right there, even though the blue pants really stand out you can see the highlights of blue in the rest of the uniform to balance it out.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 04:33:35 PM »

a blue jedi…this is an interesting idea. With tan or gray uppers, might look nice. If you look around the Rebel Legion forums you can find a photoshop file where you can edit the outfit to se what it would look like.

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 08:50:35 AM »

Blue top and gray pants, I'm sure you could do it on reverse.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 01:42:26 AM »

Blue top and gray pants, I'm sure you could do it on reverse.

Nice look.

What about olive or khaki colored outer tunic, tabards and obi and blue inner tunic to match and bue pants?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 08:58:33 AM »

Nice look.

What about olive or khaki colored outer tunic, tabards and obi and blue inner tunic to match and bue pants?
I personally wouldn't do olive, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 04:13:00 PM »

I personally wouldn't do olive, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

just spitting ideas…The military uni had me thinking

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 02:05:56 AM »

I'll most likely get me a pair of already brown jeans style pants at hot topic at the end of the month if any are in my size so. But for a top, black main outer tunic, dark grey inner, maybe a dull grey color for the tabbards and obi and then dark blue pants for that color set =] I've been trying to go for an Anakin tunic color scheme so, like with dark brown pants

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: