Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: New V5 Sabers - are they good for spinning? Does the LED window cause issues?  (Read 1902 times)
S2mikey
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 14

« on: July 12, 2019, 01:00:39 AM »

Greetings - Im a recent Aeon V4 buyer and love this saber for spinning.  It does NOT have the LED window or new included items that you get with the V5 series sabers.  My question is:  Is that window a concern for having sharp edges or possibly cause some finger scraping when you are spinning or doing freetsyle routines?  I have run into this before with other sabers(no brand names mentioned Smiley ) and want some feedback from V5 owners.  All V5's include this option now so thats why I ask.

Im very interested in a Dark Sentinel V5. 

Thanks!

AEON L4, Tri-Cree Fire orange
Archon 2.1, Tri-Cree Gaurdian Blue
Dark Sentinel L4 - Tri-Cree Consular Green, Green AV switch
Initiate V3, Catalyst Pommel, Violet, AV switch

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 01:51:22 AM »

I don't own a V5 myself, but I've heard that the claws can be a bit rough on the hands when spinning. Other forum members have suggested wearing a glove or flipping the claws. I have been debating whether or not to get a V5 myself. Anyway, I hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 03:58:55 AM »

Greetings S2mikey!

I have experience with V4s with and without windows, as well as a brand new V5, and honestly I never had any issues with the windows on any V4.  They can have a sharp edge on the windows, but you can file them down with a fine file, a nail file, or a dremel using a narrow sanding barrel, or any other fine file or sandpaper.  Just a light pass to round that edge and you're good.

The real problem with the V5s for spinning are the claws.   I knocked the edges off of mine and its not horrible, but honestly even without a sharp edge the claws get in the way.  Flipping them helps some.   I originally hoped to just remove them from mine, but the way the saber is made precludes that as there is a deep channel cut for the claws rather than shaping the claw to the contour of the saber emitter.  That makes sense but it means that without the claw installed you have an even harder grip due to the deep channel.

So that's a concern.   But windows on the V4?   No problem.   Another option is to get a Sentinel V5, as the emitter end is actually reshaped to be similar to the Aeon V4.   It also needs a bit of work with a sanding device to make it comfortable, but it is doable.   :-)

Best answer, though, is to get another V4 with windows.   The V4 is still, IMHO, the most agile and lively hilt US makes for spinning or dueling.   :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 05:41:25 AM »

How high up you holding that thing?

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 87

Nerd for 3 decades plus and darn proud of it

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 10:43:30 PM »

The Sentinel V4 is my favorite "using" hilt out of all my sabers, and I have a bunch.  I bought a Sentinel V5 stunt as a test case when they were released even though I feared the window cutout would ruin its usefulness.  Sadly, I was right.  In stock form the cutout's edges WILL slice your hand open in short order when spinning or at least irritate you immensely.  As Karmack said you could sand the edges of the window to soften them, but if you have to immediately modify something to make it useable I think it's a flawed design.  Also, the ersatz grenade grip section looks pretty, but even that is very slightly irritating due to the milled method of its creation.  I wrote a review you can find in the Reviews subforum if you want more details of my nitpicking.  In short, my opinion is that the Sentinel V5 is nice to look at once the window insert is flipped but if you want a Sentinel for actual use I suggest a V4.  Those are my two cents, your mileage may vary.  Happy sabering!

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

LSUJedi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 8

Strive for the light. Accept the dark.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 01:41:55 AM »

I own 2 Initiate v5's that I use individually and as a double-saber/staff. The windows are a bit sharp at the most interior corner point, BUT if you wear gloves of any sort- can be super thin- there is no problem at all. Without gloves, it will get a bit uncomfortable.

I've also heard of people using a dremmel tool to file down those sharp corners. Personally, I usually use gloves when sparring or doing choreography, so I probably won't, but it seems like another viable option.

Alekso Lor'ens <------ X ------> Darth Emrys

Dem Sabers:
DIY Archon v3.1 - Consular Green
Bellicose - Guardian Blue
Initiate v3 LE - Violet Amethyst
Double-bladed Apprentice v5 LE - Fire Orange
Dark Initiate - Consular Green
Dark Initiate - Blazing Red

S2mikey
Knight Officer

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 09:20:13 AM »

Gents - thanks a bunch for the replies and info! I’m glad I asked about this.  I like the look of the V5 but it appears for my uses that the V4 is probably the better choice.  As I said, one of my other NON US brand sabers has the same issue and I did dremmel it a bit but it still can be a problem.  To me, the best spinning hilts are ones with no edges and little if any change in the diameter throughout the hilts length. 

Ok then....time to build a V4 sentinel or dark apprentice then.  It’ll go nice on with my Aeon L4.  Then of course, I’ll buy another whatever.  It doesn’t stop, does it? Wink

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 11:25:57 AM »

From my experience of wielding some from friends, the Aeon/Dominix/Initiate V5s aren't as spin-friendly as their V4 counterparts. Now, the Sentinel/Apprentice V5s are quite spin-friendly. I've spun this saber for 30 minutes without any issue. 

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 09:33:18 PM »

How high up you holding that thing?

Illyiss, for whatever reason I tend to grip any Aeon/Dominix V4 or V5 at the forward choke point, where the vents are cut.  It tends to be the natural balance point on the larger sabers, and on my Initiate V4 I have an extension that also puts the balance point there.  On my V5 I actually grip it around the claws, over the vents.   :-)  Ironically, the claws are ALSO curved, forming a secondary choke point, and it works quite well, especially when I am wearing gloves.

On the V3s, I grip them around the "bulb" where the switch is, but the spin point is in the forward choke. Same on my Initiate V3s.

Here's a picture of my modified Initiate V4, giving an idea of how long the extension is:

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 11:11:28 PM »

I own 4 V5's - all without the claws - and have to agree that they are not comfortable to spin without gloves, or modification. In fact, all of them are sitting in storage. My V4's get much more use in comparison.

Nice modded lightsaber there Karmack. Point to you.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

S2mikey
Knight Officer

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 04:27:39 AM »

I own 4 V5's - all without the claws - and have to agree that they are not comfortable to spin without gloves, or modification. In fact, all of them are sitting in storage. My V4's get much more use in comparison.

Nice modded lightsaber there Karmack. Point to you.

So it appears that even without claws the "window" cut out area does cause some issues.  I don’t care to wear gloves so this reinforces my idea of going with a series 4 saber again.  I like the look of the V5 for sure but for my use case the 4 is the right call.  Perhaps they’ll eventually tweak the design and soften the edges of the window somehow? Maybe pre sand them down for you?

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 12:19:47 AM »

So it appears that even without claws the "window" cut out area does cause some issues.  I don’t care to wear gloves so this reinforces my idea of going with a series 4 saber again.  I like the look of the V5 for sure but for my use case the 4 is the right call.  Perhaps they’ll eventually tweak the design and soften the edges of the window somehow? Maybe pre sand them down for you?

Its not just the windows.    I haven't got a good photo of mine while I had the claws off, but the claws sit in deep channels cut through the texturing of the forward grenade grip.   When you remove them, that channel is hard on the hands, far harder than the windows.

I've never had an issue with the windows on a saber.   The Sentinel V5 I purchased did require a few minutes with a dremel to soften the edges, but all of my V4s over the years never needed anything more than a few swipes with a nail file to take the sharp edge off.

S2mikey
Knight Officer

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 09:16:13 AM »

I ended up ordering an Archon 2.1 at the excellent sale price.  Went with the guardian blue TRI Cree LED and basic sound.  Can’t wait to get it! Smiley

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 02:49:43 PM »

Grats on the Archon v2.1. It's a nice lightsaber to wield and the electronics are easy to change because the switch is close to the emitter neck connection. Standard covertech wheel too.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: