Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: LED Swap between Two Sabers?  (Read 1338 times)
spectre19
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: July 15, 2019, 06:37:52 PM »

Hi everyone!

I just ordered 8 mystery boxes as part of my Groomsmen gifts for my wedding coming up. Overall VERY happy with the set of sabers I received!
I absolutely  love all of them, but think that two of them would be better by swapping their LEDs/colors. I have a manticore hilt I think would look better with the Green that came with the initiate and I think the initiate would look better with the blue that came with the manticore. My question is if its possible to easily swap these. It looks like I can just cut the wire below the LED cap (where the blue tape is on the wire in the picture) and swap those by twisting the wires together and wrapping it in electrical tape.

Is there voltage differences in the LEDs with different colors? Should this work?  Thank you!!!

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 08:26:20 PM »

I don't know about the voltage question, but if you actually LIKE your groomsmen, don't use electrical tape and nothing else.  If you can, solder the wires together, but whether you can do that or not, in the interests of both longevity and safety, please, please PLEASE use heat-shrink tubing instead of electrical tape!

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

spectre19
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 08:49:05 PM »

Thanks Cyclops! I can solder as well, and if I did change them, I probably would end up doing just that. Was just thinking it super simply, if even to test it. Just didnt know if my thought was correct about it being super simple. Im guessing, in terms of the complete circuit, that it would be identical to using the quick disconnects?

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:21:24 PM »

I'm REALLY not the right guy to answer that question.  My command of the physics equations involved in determining the voltage and amperage required for each component is limited to knowing how to spell amps, volts, and watts, or nearly so.  Just let this question set out here for a few more hours, and you'll likely get some knowledgeable, experienced folks to give you some real help.

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 09:28:55 PM »

In pretty sure under the blue shrink tube us the resistors.

I would cut below the blue shri9 tube so that stays with the LED. Then solder to the saber you want. And yes use shrink tubes over the solder.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 02:31:12 PM »

All things being equal.................if both the lightsabers you are looking to switch LED modules between, are both configured the same (basic stunt sabers with latching switches and 4-AAA battery setup), you should be able to cut and swap them.

Note: Each should have a resistor on the black (negative) wire, so you'd have to cut the wire below the resistors for them to work correctly.

2nd Note: Doing this yourself voids the 1 year warranty on both lightsabers, so if there's a problem down the road, its' not covered.

Edit: tx_tuff beat me to it.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 09:33:09 PM »

All things being equal.................if both the lightsabers you are looking to switch LED modules between, are both configured the same (basic stunt sabers with latching switches and 4-AAA battery setup), you should be able to cut and swap them.

Note: Each should have a resistor on the black (negative) wire, so you'd have to cut the wire below the resistors for them to work correctly.

2nd Note: Doing this yourself voids the 1 year warranty on both lightsabers, so if there's a problem down the road, its' not covered.

But you are right, make sure they both have the same battery set up.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 09:48:10 PM »

And DEFINITELY note that this will void the one-year warranty!  For me, this would make the whole operation a no-go until a year from now, but that's me.

spectre19
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 01:05:20 PM »

Thanks everyone for your responses!!!

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 08:26:33 PM »

The green and blue can be swapped with the same resistor that is in there. The blue is not tape it is heat shrink that covers only the solder connections where the wiring joined. If you had gotten quick disconnects they would be on there those blue covers are. The resistors are larger and will be found down more inside the hilt.
Even if you have a different power setup you can safely change the LEDs on Ultrasabers. The only time you need more to it is when switching from a single diode to multiple as in single to tri-cree or mixed/multiple colors.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff