Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 4 AAA battery pack with Buckpuck stunt saber  (Read 1066 times)
LSUJedi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 8

Strive for the light. Accept the dark.

« on: July 25, 2019, 05:55:04 AM »

Hey guys, I'm on the tail end of a two-saber project. I have a GB single LED going into a bellicose hilt with the guarded latching switch, buckpuck, and the 4AAA battery pack. I've wired it up, but the brightness is noticeably down.

I did research before choosing this setup, and afterwards, and have not found a straight answer to the question is it advisable to run 4AAA batteries with a buckpuck? It is constantly recommended on here that people go with the four AAA setup and a resistor, or the two lithium ion and buckpuck, but I have never seen my question addressed explicitly.

Can somebody help me out here, keeping in mind that I currently have the buckpuck and 4 AAA wired up, and offer solutions to the diminished brightness problem?

Many thanks in advance.

Alekso Lor'ens <------ X ------> Darth Emrys

Dem Sabers:
DIY Archon v3.1 - Consular Green
Bellicose - Guardian Blue
Initiate v3 LE - Violet Amethyst
Double-bladed Apprentice v5 LE - Fire Orange
Dark Initiate - Consular Green
Dark Initiate - Blazing Red

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 09:26:58 PM »

I'm guessing from your Custom Archon Saber from Bellicose parts - thread that you repurposed most of the original parts, except the Obsidian v4 soundboard and the 2 x 14500 li-ion batteries. Note: The 2 x 14500 batteries put out 3.7volts x 2 batteries for 7.4 volts total. The 4 x 1.5 volt AAA batteries only put out 6 volts total. That 1.4 volt drop maybe what's causing the dimmer LED. The original buckpuck resistor for the below setup might also be part of the problem, but i'm not sure since I don't know the specs for the buckpucks.

Modular LED System- Guardian Blue
-Guarded Momentary Switch
-Buckpuck Resistor*
-2x 14500 Li-Ion Battery Holder/Speaker Combo*
-Obsidian v4 Soundboard*
-2 AA Li-Ion Batteries*

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

LSUJedi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 8

Strive for the light. Accept the dark.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 06:22:02 AM »

The buckpuck is new. The only holdover from the original saber is the single GB LED. Purchased buckpuck, 4AAA battery pack, and latching switch. I don't see how the 4AAA pack could be the issue, since there are many sabers, including 4 in my collection, that use the pack to power tri-cree LEDs with great brightness, much less a single LED like this project. It must be related to the buckpuck somehow right?

Alekso Lor'ens <------ X ------> Darth Emrys

Dem Sabers:
DIY Archon v3.1 - Consular Green
Bellicose - Guardian Blue
Initiate v3 LE - Violet Amethyst
Double-bladed Apprentice v5 LE - Fire Orange
Dark Initiate - Consular Green
Dark Initiate - Blazing Red

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 04:59:50 AM »

Are you using quick disconnects by chance?
 I put quick disconnects and a buckpack in my stunt saber. It gave me lots of problems. The light would flicker then go off like the batteries were dead. They were freshly charged, new batteries and then they were dead.  Had them in the saber five minutes and they needed recharging.  I took out the buckpack and I've had no light or battery problems since.  My problem was the buckpack. You might have a bad one!

You're hall way is awesome.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: