Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Sabers run out of battery quickly when not in use  (Read 2405 times)
emerge555
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: July 29, 2019, 09:01:25 PM »

I have 3 sabers; an Emperor's Hand with the Emerald controller, and a Spectre and Scorpion with the Diamond controller. I got all three in January of this year, so they're fairly new, and all three are mounted on the wall on display (turned off) and do not get any use otherwise. They are completely undamaged. The Emerald controller saber stays charged for months when not in use, and I can pull it off the wall and turn it on. The two with the Diamond controllers will lose charge after less than a week, even though they are mounted on a wall completely turned off. Is this normal? Why is the battery draining in less than a week despite it not being in use, but it lasts months on the other saber (which is identical other than the controller). It's pretty frustrating having to take the batteries out to recharge the sabers every single time I want to take them off the wall and turn them on, since they will lose all of their charge every time.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 09:14:33 PM »

Does the Emerald controlled lightsaber also have a sound card with a speaker? Diamond controlled lightsabers in my own findings go thru batteries fairly quickly. I take the batteries out, charge them and then store them in a battery case and every week or so I put them in a charger to top them off.

My stunt lightsabers I have stored for months with batteries installed and they still have charge: the latching switch disconnects the batteries from anything so they have a low discharge rate.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 180

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 09:17:24 PM »

This is normal.  There is a "trickle drain" for the Diamond (don't know about the Emerald as I don't have one of those).  My wife and I have three Diamonds between us and all of them slowly drain over time.  I think I read someplace where the boards use a little bit of power even when powered down.  Luckily for us, we have recharge ports on ours so we don't need to take our the batteries.  With the fast recharge ports, they also recharge pretty quickly.  Now, if they are draining in less than a week, that might be an issue.  Ours drain over the course of about 3-4 weeks.  I've had my Menace for just a few weeks and the only time it has drain was when I was programming it, and that was July 5th.  Since then I have not had to charge it and it still powers up.

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 10:17:59 PM »

My emerald saber with sound goes dead in under 4 days. My diamond sabers last about a week before the batteries are drained. 
 Take the batteries out of your saber when not using it. You can only charge your batteries so many times before they need to be replaced.  I know they are not that expensive to replace, but why do that to yourself?
 There is nothing worse then wanting to use your saber and having to wait an hour while the batteries recharge. Just remove them and charge them. It takes no time to pop in fresh batteries.  Removing them from the saber will help them last longer.

Great responses and info from the other posts as well!

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 08:33:19 PM »

Every saber with sound (no matter if it's Obsidian or Diamond) needs standby power to be ready for activation. The momentary switch doesn't disconnect the board from the battery pack, only latching switches in stunt sabers do.

As such, a standby time of a week for sabers with sound is absolutely normal. That's why I recommend Recharge Ports. They help a lot, and you put less stress on the internals (wires, joints, battery pack) compared to sabers without the Ports.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 02:48:40 AM »

Racona's right on the head here.
I can get a couple of weeks out of a set in my Emerald saber, maybe a month to six weeks out of the Obs V4 sets

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: