Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Concerned about colors staying true / updated battery information....  (Read 577 times)
S2mikey
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 14

« on: August 09, 2019, 12:15:05 PM »

Hi all - I currently have a Tri-Cree Orange blade on my AeonL4 and the Tri-Cree Guardian blue blade on my Archon 2.1 . I am using the standard AAA battery setup for both and am quite happy with the performance as far as brightness and color reproduction is concerned.  Battery life is decent - I just have basic sound in both.  I use Energizer Lithium-Ions in both.  I know there is some battery info out there and Ive searched but want to be clear on a few things as I look to make more purchases!

My quesrtions/concerns:
- Ive read some concerns over blade colors like Amethyst, which is a color Im very interested in for my next saber, being difficult as in after a brief period it starts to look too blue or red.  It appears that certain batteries might be better for certain colors due to voltage/output?  Whats the deal here?  Is it true that the purple only really stays purple for a short time while the batteries are fresh and then gets more and more red as the batteries weaken?

- Regarding batteries, Id like to know if rechargeables are really "good enough" long term versus disposables?  Do they perform as well as the Lithium ions I use?  Ive contemplated going with the buck-puck setup in my next saber even though standard sound is fine with me.  Is this a better overall way to power your saber versus Lithium-ions?  Maybe thats a dumb qquestion but I want to be clear.

Thanks!

AEON L4, Tri-Cree Fire orange
Archon 2.1, Tri-Cree Gaurdian Blue
Dark Sentinel L4 - Tri-Cree Consular Green, Green AV switch
Initiate V3, Catalyst Pommel, Violet, AV switch

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2774

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 02:00:24 PM »

Since Fire Orange (FO) is created from a single LED (or three same color LEDs when Tri-Cree), the color will only dim as your batteries lose power. Mixed LED colors are created by illuminating 2 LEDs with varied resistance, like the Violet Amethyst you mentioned is made by mixing Red and Blue. However, when the batteries start to lose power, the LED with the highest power requirements and highest resistance will fade first because the electricity is literally taking the path of least resistance. In the case of VA, the blue is both higher power and has a resistor, so as the batteries drain, VA will eventually just be Red.

A way to counter this is to get the Li-Ion setup with a Buckpuck. I'm not sure how it works, but from experience, it maintains a constant flow of power for maximum effect. When the batteries no longer how juice to maintain, the saber shuts off. The pro: your saber will look good for the duration. The con: you won't have power for as long. I have Li-Ion and sound in all my large sabers. When I go to cons, I prefer using sabers that have the V4 sound so I can mute the sound. This allows for nice and bright all day. Continuous use lasts about 1.5h (w/sound about .5h)

Hope this answers your question

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

S2mikey
Knight Officer

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 03:15:50 PM »

Since Fire Orange (FO) is created from a single LED (or three same color LEDs when Tri-Cree), the color will only dim as your batteries lose power. Mixed LED colors are created by illuminating 2 LEDs with varied resistance, like the Violet Amethyst you mentioned is made by mixing Red and Blue. However, when the batteries start to lose power, the LED with the highest power requirements and highest resistance will fade first because the electricity is literally taking the path of least resistance. In the case of VA, the blue is both higher power and has a resistor, so as the batteries drain, VA will eventually just be Red.

A way to counter this is to get the Li-Ion setup with a Buckpuck. I'm not sure how it works, but from experience, it maintains a constant flow of power for maximum effect. When the batteries no longer how juice to maintain, the saber shuts off. The pro: your saber will look good for the duration. The con: you won't have power for as long. I have Li-Ion and sound in all my large sabers. When I go to cons, I prefer using sabers that have the V4 sound so I can mute the sound. This allows for nice and bright all day. Continuous use lasts about 1.5h (w/sound about .5h)

Hope this answers your question

It sure does - I did understand prior that multiple-LED driven colors will feed the most power to the most power-hungry colors.  I appreciate the info.  I guess I didnt realize that with the V4 sound board that you could disable the sound which probably saves a lot of juice.  Hmmmm.  Guess Ill have to go with the V4/BuckPuck arrangement on my next saber!

THANKS. Smiley

BTW - thats quite an arsenal you have listed.  Nice collection!!!!

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 03:22:39 PM »

It sure does - I did understand prior that multiple-LED driven colors will feed the most power to the most power-hungry colors.  I appreciate the info.  I guess I didnt realize that with the V4 sound board that you could disable the sound which probably saves a lot of juice.  Hmmmm.  Guess Ill have to go with the V4/BuckPuck arrangement on my next saber!

THANKS. Smiley

BTW - thats quite an arsenal you have listed.  Nice collection!!!!
No prob. You won't regret getting sound, but if you are on a budget you can get the Li-ion setup without sound.

Thanks. This is a highly addictive hobby, so tread carefully.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

S2mikey
Knight Officer

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 04:55:52 PM »

No prob. You won't regret getting sound, but if you are on a budget you can get the Li-ion setup without sound.

Thanks. This is a highly addictive hobby, so tread carefully.

I do have the basic sound with each of my sabers but defintely going with the premium option this time. 

Yeah, hard not to order a Saber like once a week, lol.  One more will do me good for now.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 05:00:30 PM »

I do have the basic sound with each of my sabers but defintely going with the premium option this time. 

Yeah, hard not to order a Saber like once a week, lol.  One more will do me good for now.
I had 12 after the first 12 months of collecting. But not all were purchased.

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: