Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Help pick my next hilt  (Read 1845 times)
Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« on: August 13, 2019, 02:37:48 AM »

I'm torn on what to get next.  I plan on placing an order this week but can't decide between hilts.  My main qualifications are:

- Solid silver
- Emitter needs to hold the blade securely (more Menance, less Archon 3.1)
- Comfortable in hand with very little "extra bits" (screws, boxes, etc).  My slimmest sabers are my Dark Sentinel LE v4 and Dominix v3, with the thickest being probably the Guardian or the Archon 3.1 (maybe my Bane based Frankensaber).  All feel fine in my hand.  Even my wife's Fulcrum and Lost Grey feel fine in my hand.

It would be nice to have windows in the emitter, but it is not necessary. 

Here are my contenders (in alpha order):

Catalyst
Sentinel v5
Manticore CE (in high polish silver)
The Monarch (in high polish silver)

I plan on ordering Friday around noon CST, so just put your vote in a reply.  This will be my saber for the school's "Star Wars" club I am planning to start, so I want to pick a good one that goes along with our school mascot and color (Knights and purple and silver).  I think all of these would fit the bill, but I can't decide.  Damn you, Ultra Sabers!  Why do you have to make so many great hilts?

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:19:54 AM »

There is a thread about the Catalyst you should check out if you really consider that saber. The emitter houses the led, so you can not remove the emitter without heavy modifications.  The emitter only grips about an inch of the blade, causing longer blades to wobble.

The Manticore is a great saber! One of my favorites. It is tied for first with my war glaive.

Not on your list but, the war glaive without claws is also a great duelling saber. It is nice and slim with no boxes or extra ornamentation.  It has a great choke point, that is a little thicker the the Catalyst. I can not recommend it enough.

From your list, I say the Manticore.  The two I didn't mention, I have no experience with.

Good luck with your decision.

That thread is titled,  "Catalyst emitter compatibility" .

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 03:28:33 AM »

Arbiter.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 03:58:30 AM »

The Manticore is a great saber. Can't go wrong there. I however am a big fan of the Monarch. The silver version will stand out from the rest of your collection and in your group. I will be getting my nickel plated Monarch Wednesday. So I will be better able to speak about it  then.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 02:44:44 AM »

Arbiter.
The Arbiter is a little longer than I like.  I know the Sentinel v5 is only a little shorter, but I also plan to put a shorter pommel on it.

There is a thread about the Catalyst you should check out if you really consider that saber. The emitter houses the led, so you can not remove the emitter without heavy modifications.  The emitter only grips about an inch of the blade, causing longer blades to wobble.

The Manticore is a great saber! One of my favorites. It is tied for first with my war glaive.

Not on your list but, the war glaive without claws is also a great duelling saber. It is nice and slim with no boxes or extra ornamentation.  It has a great choke point, that is a little thicker the the Catalyst. I can not recommend it enough.

From your list, I say the Manticore.  The two I didn't mention, I have no experience with.

Good luck with your decision.

That thread is titled,  "Catalyst emitter compatibility" .
The War Glaive without the claws is tempting, but I'm not a fan of the holes left by the missing claws. 

Thanks for the tip on the "Catalyst emitter compatibility" thread.

My wife likes the Manticore, but then again she likes them all.  She's no help at all in this matter.  I've wanted a Monarch for a while as it is a unique shape.  I also like the detail and styling on the Sentinel v5.  I think I'd be happy with any, but since I can't decide I will leave it up to the Collective (wrong franchise, but you get the idea).

Household US Arsenal:
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 06:09:31 AM »

My Monarch arrives Wednesday! I will take pictures and shamelessly plug the Monarch. My setup, with the magnificent nickel plating,  may convince you to join the Monarch brotherhood!.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 09:48:15 PM »

I'm torn on what to get next.  I plan on placing an order this week but can't decide between hilts.  My main qualifications are:

- Solid silver
- Comfortable in hand with very little "extra bits" (screws, boxes, etc).  My slimmest sabers are my Dark Sentinel LE v4 and Dominix v3, with the thickest being probably the Guardian or the Archon 3.1 (maybe my Bane based Frankensaber).  All feel fine in my hand.  Even my wife's Fulcrum and Lost Grey feel fine in my hand.

Catalyst
Sentinel v5

I plan on ordering Friday around noon CST, so just put your vote in a reply.  This will be my saber for the school's "Star Wars" club I am planning to start, so I want to pick a good one that goes along with our school mascot and color (Knights and purple and silver).  I think all of these would fit the bill, but I can't decide.  Damn you, Ultra Sabers!  Why do you have to make so many great hilts?

I have a Dark Catalyst, its amazingly comfortable and with the 32" standard blade it is secure, but with HG or longer 36" blade it can be a little wobbly.  I also have a dark Sentinel V5, I love it, but honestly it only feels balanced when I have the War Glaive pommel attached to add some weight.

In all honestly, if you're looking for a great match I'd think hard about an Aeon V4 with windows.  Its extremely comfortable, looks great in silver, and it has windows.   :-)   Its far more comfortable as a dueler than a Sentinel, the Sentinel's windows are rather severe on the hands.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 10:22:17 PM »

- Solid silver

Catalyst
Sentinel v5

Of your choices, I have the Sentinel (LE) v5, The Manticore (not CE version) and The (Dark) Monarch. Of the 3, The Monarch is the most comfortable for me to weild. It lends itself to one or 2 hand use and you can "choke up" to the emitter since it has just a slight lip that lends your hand somewhere to stop against before falling further up the emitter. The Sentinel v5 has the windows that if not altered, can cause minor injury because the edges of the windows are a bit sharp. A file can be used to smooth them, but out of the box they are rough on the hands. The Monarch is bigger than it looks, and wider - wider than The Guardian is. The emitter is also shallower than it looks, about 1 inch deep, so a longer blade may wobble a bit during use.

I do not own a Catalyst. When I found out about the emitter construction in conjunction with the LED module I took that one off my wish list. I would have immediately switched that emitter IF I purchased one, but the way it's built denies that option.

suggestion. One lightsaber not on your list is one I was surprised when I got one on a mystery box: A Reaper.  I know the claws give it a distinctive look, but if you lose the emitter, pommel & neck shroud, or just removed the claws, it's really slim. If I still had mine, I would show you how it looks compared to the others.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

S2mikey
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 14

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 04:46:05 PM »

I have a Dark Catalyst, its amazingly comfortable and with the 32" standard blade it is secure, but with HG or longer 36" blade it can be a little wobbly.  I also have a dark Sentinel V5, I love it, but honestly it only feels balanced when I have the War Glaive pommel attached to add some weight.

In all honestly, if you're looking for a great match I'd think hard about an Aeon V4 with windows.  Its extremely comfortable, looks great in silver, and it has windows.   :-)   Its far more comfortable as a dueler than a Sentinel, the Sentinel's windows are rather severe on the hands.

I have the AEON L4(NO windows) and it is a fabulous saber for spinning .  I started a thread a while back about the windows in the hilts and how they effect spinning.  Most replies claimed that it can be an issue so I went with the L4 instead and tend to avoid windows in my hilts.  But if works for ya then great!

AEON L4, Tri-Cree Fire orange
Archon 2.1, Tri-Cree Gaurdian Blue
Dark Sentinel L4 - Tri-Cree Consular Green, Green AV switch
Initiate V3, Catalyst Pommel, Violet, AV switch

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 05:09:57 PM »

Manticore SE

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 01:56:15 PM »

Here's a quick look at my raffle entries. The nickel plated Monarch stands out. I really like it's color, weight and the comfort factor. I can easily use it with one hand.

http://imgur.com/gallery/ffTyCUP

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 12:52:49 AM »

Archon V2.1 also makes a great dueling saber, nothing really getting in the way, I love mine =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Noganator
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 11

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 01:07:15 AM »

Of my 6 sabers, Manticore is by far my favorite - great feel, size, and look. Definitely worth getting with the Emerald driver.

Sound sabers: Manticore - Emerald w/ V4; Electrum Wind- DVA w/ V4; Graflex SE - GB w/ V4; Dark Shock- Tri-BR w/ V4.
Stunt sabers: Aeon v4 - SRD; Aron v3- GB; Dominix v4 - GB; Dark Apprentice v4 - FO.
Ordered Sabers: Emporer's Hand - Emerald w/ V4; Princess - Emerald w/ V4.

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 01:21:13 AM »

So, I picked my hilt, placed the order, won a raffle prize with the entry, and received it today.  Presenting...
THE MONARCH - a hilt truly worthy of a knight (that's our school's mascot.  I'm still working on getting approval for a Star Wars club.  My band students want it so we may just do it without approval).

Polished Aluminum
Diamond Board
The current setup is as follows:
VA with the values at B=128 and R=40, shimmering to BVA with values at B=128 and R=25, and a pulse time of 1.  These values (except for the pulse time) were like this when I plugged the saber into the US Launcher.  These are not the standard VA and BVA values.  These are the values I posted in a different thread regarding VA and BVA colors.  Either US changed their values or someone saw this thread and preset the values for me.
FOC is AS.

I appreciate everyone's advice and takes on the different hilts I was looking at.  I like all of the hilts and will probably add all of them to my arsenal at some time.  

Household US Arsenal:
Mine:

Wife’s:

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 01:40:03 AM »

Great choice. Congratulations.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: