Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: DOLEMITE IS MY NAME Official Trailer  (Read 871 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« on: August 13, 2019, 03:20:57 PM »

Good lineup

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSJmD8N3jIk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSJmD8N3jIk</a>

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:49:08 PM »

I want this to be good. Eddie Murphy is a comedic legend. I think some people nowadays may have forgotten how funny he was in his heyday. But just go back and watch movies like The Golden Child, Boomerang, The Nutty Professor or Coming to America to remember how much a comedic force he was. And Dreamgirls showed he can do drama as well.

That being said, this movie doesn't look great. it's like a cross between Bowfinger and Black Dynamite. Both those movies are excellent. And the fact that this is on Netflix rather than being released theatrically doesn't bode well (most Netflix original movies suck).

However, I will give it a chance as I like (most of) the cast. And maybe this will kickstart an Eddie Murphy comeback. Looking forward much more to Coming to America 2 to be honest.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 01:15:39 AM »

Interesting. I saw Dolemite years ago but did not realize there was so much background to it.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Bob Loblaw
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 02:00:00 AM »

"Yes, I'm Dolemite. I'm the one that killed Monday, whupped Tuesday and put Wednesday in the hospital!
Called up Thursday to tell Friday not to bury Saturday on Sunday!" - Dolemite

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 02:40:28 PM »

Didn't realise this was a biopic. I thought it was supposed to be a comedy spoof. But thanks to google I've learned a bit about the character and the man behind the act. Might have to re-evaluate my earlier opinion of the trailer.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 03:43:37 PM »

Didn't realise this was a biopic. I thought it was supposed to be a comedy spoof. But thanks to google I've learned a bit about the character and the man behind the act. Might have to re-evaluate my earlier opinion of the trailer.

Yea, Dolemite is considered one of the quintessential "Blaxploitation" films of the 70s.  Apparently Snoop Dogg lists it as an inspiration and he's in the film as well.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 04:02:42 PM »

Yea, Dolemite is considered one of the quintessential "Blaxploitation" films of the 70s.  Apparently Snoop Dogg lists it as an inspiration and he's in the film as well.
I wasn't exposed to many blaxploitation films growing up. And I saw Snoop in the trailer, rocking the Stevie Wonder braids.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 03:01:59 AM »

I wasn't exposed to many blaxploitation films growing up. And I saw Snoop in the trailer, rocking the Stevie Wonder braids.

As a cinephile, I would recommend looking up their background.  It is a very interesting part of American Cinema history.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 06:08:11 AM »

As a cinephile, I would recommend looking up their background.  It is a very interesting part of American Cinema history.
I know about the blaxploitation genre. I just never watched many of the films that came out. I'm not sure how many were shown in the UK due to popularity.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: