Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: One hand dueler Opinions ?  (Read 6440 times)
GreyAngel
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: August 15, 2019, 11:49:31 AM »

Anyone have a suggestion for a one handed dueling saber? I also would like to know if the 32 inch blade gives enough speed / recovery advantage to offset the loss of reach.
Any knowledgeable replies appreciated!  

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 01:13:47 PM »

So, this is a very subjective thing, with many factors affecting it.  How big are your hands, how strong are your hands/wrists/forearms, what is comfortable for you, what is your preferred style of fighting, and more. 

Overall, I prefer the 32 inch blades, I hit the ground far less, and I like getting a little closer.  My style of fighting works with that though.  I also have large hands, wrists, forearms (okay, pretty much everything), so strength to generate speed and powerful blocks is not an issue.  I find the Sentinel V4s and the Aeon/Dominix V3 and V4s to be very comfortable.  The shorter versions of these can be as well, though to me 32 almost feels too long in them, I would prefer about a 28 inch blade on them.  I also find the Standard Issue/Dark Standard Issue to be very comfortable as well.

All that said, many people go with the initiate and apprentice hilts for one handed use, so there is probably something to that.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 08:19:33 PM »

Anyone have a suggestion for a one handed dueling saber? I also would like to know if the 32 inch blade gives enough speed / recovery advantage to offset the loss of reach.
Any knowledgeable replies appreciated!  
I just recently experimented with modding my Mantis. I swapped emitters with a Shock and put in a 32. It was perfectly balanced and very fast.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

GreyAngel
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 03:56:00 PM »

Thanks for thoughts, my background is in Filipino martial arts, single and double blade. They are typically 28 to 32 inches in length. The goal there is to deflect rather than engage (clash) against a longer heavier blade, and use your footwork to close the distance. I think I'm going to go with a 32 inch heavy ultra edge...

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 01:59:53 AM »

The best hilt I've ever had for a 32" HG blade is an Aeon V4 without windows.   The V3 is also very good, but the V4 edges it slightly.   The forward choke without windows is the perfect grip point.  Very fast and well balanced.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 01:49:16 PM »

Dunno. I just received a Bellicose and once I got my hands on it and actually felt how comfortable and balanced it was, it may just become the to-hand lightsaber I'll use. With 32" blade. It may lose the covertech wheel though.

Before this my preference was for Initiate v4. Slim, solid and short (11 inches in length). But I have smaller hands - palm to middle fingertip is less than 6 inches.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

GreyAngel
Force Sensitive

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 05:10:26 PM »

Thanks for mentioning the covertech wheel. I believe I will pass on that. It looks like it might get in the way. I have a couple of round leather hatchet sheaths that you run a belt through. It should be secure and a good look...

MercuryKungFu
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 110

Let It All Go. Fear, Doubt, And Disbelief

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 12:40:08 AM »

If you go with Ultra Edge or plain MidGrade blades. The v5 Apprentice LE is an excellent desicion. I just got two with 36” blades. One is in violet amethyst, the other in red. They’re great with premium sound. They’re very hand and a half or two handed if your hands are close together. No problem dueling with one hand.
Also for additional flare I switched pommels with my two Fallen sabers. They all look great. Maybe Ultrasabers should sell the Fallen pommel by it’s self.

Oh you know theMenace is very light if you like to style yourself as a sith. I have 3 of them.

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 01:05:47 AM »

If you go with Ultra Edge or plain MidGrade blades. The v5 Apprentice LE is an excellent desicion. I just got two with 36” blades. One is in violet amethyst, the other in red. They’re great with premium sound. They’re very hand and a half or two handed if your hands are close together. No problem dueling with one hand.
Also for additional flare I switched pommels with my two Fallen sabers. They all look great. Maybe Ultrasabers should sell the Fallen pommel by it’s self.

UltraSabers plans to sell the Fallen emitters and pommels separately, in the parts section. They just haven't put them in there yet.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 02:59:10 AM »

I would personally choose an Apprentice or Initiate hilt for one handed use. 32" blades do just fine in them. Smiley

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 03:19:42 PM »

Can't believe I haven't chimed in on the Ini V3 yet. IMO, the Ini V3 is the best dueling saber on the US menu. The chokes are perfectly spaced and cut. Its simple ergonomic design feels good in the hand both with a single and two handed grip.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 09:03:52 PM »

I prefer longer handles, even for one handed use. Sentinel and Dominix V3 both work well, as does the Dark Liberator. However, my favorite remains the Dark Standard Issue (yes, the Dark version duels better than the regular version, that's just the way it is). Apprentices work ok too, when used with a short enough blade.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 03:11:56 PM »

However, my favorite remains the Dark Standard Issue (yes, the Dark version duels better than the regular version, that's just the way it is).

Assuming I’m not missing a joke or “inside baseball” reference here, why is that? To me, they look the same except for the anodizing, and I would think that the black anodizing would make an imperceptible change in the diameter of the hilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 03:21:43 PM »

Assuming I’m not missing a joke or “inside baseball” reference here, why is that? To me, they look the same except for the anodizing, and I would think that the black anodizing would make an imperceptible change in the diameter of the hilt.
He's Dark Side oriented -> dark sabers = better

(Did you not get enough sleep?)

Sig by For Tyeth

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 04:18:16 PM »

To my touch, there is an actual difference in the texture of the surface of an anodized hilt versus a non-anodized one. I'm not sure I can exactly put it into words. The anodized hilts have more texture to them, and at the same time are smoother than the non-anodized hilts. It's the difference between a piece of wood that's been sanded perfectly smooth, and a lacquered piece of wood that's perfectly smooth. They're both smooth, but they feel different. I notice it the most comparing my Liberator and Dark Liberator hilts since it's a one to one comparison.

He's Dark Side oriented -> dark sabers = better

This too is true, although not an absolute. I like my Sentinel LE quite a bit, definitely more than my (plain) Sentinel (as far as aesthetics go). I actually like the "Light" LE's silver/gold more than the "Dark" LE's black/silver. I really wish they would do a black/gold version.

I've also noticed my non-anodized sabers tend to leave my hands dirty after prolonged use. I used to know why, but I don't remember anymore.

Can't believe I haven't chimed in on the Ini V3 yet. IMO, the Ini V3 is the best dueling saber on the US menu. The chokes are perfectly spaced and cut. Its simple ergonomic design feels good in the hand both with a single and two handed grip.

I can agree that I prefer the Initiate v3 over the v4 (same for the Aeon/Dominix, I haven't tried out the v5's yet, but I really don't like the way they look), but I prefer the longer Dominix over the Initiate. I completely agree about the choke points, I just prefer longer hilts, even for one handed use (and the Initiate is way too short for me to use two handed). I'm surprised no one has chimed in with the Prophecy yet. It used to be the "go to" saber for a lot of people for one handed dueling. I don't care for it, but I know a lot of people did.

My Apprentices and Initiate use 32" blades, all the rest of mine are 36". All are Heavy Grade.

Last thought, since the OP mentioned his background is in Filipino martial arts, just the blades, especially 32" or 28" Heavy Grade, with no hilt, are very similar to the Kali and Eskrima sticks.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: