Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: My new Archon V3.1 ROTJ Luke Saber.  (Read 3264 times)
Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

« on: August 17, 2019, 10:39:25 PM »

Hey folks! I'm new to Ultrasabers and the community but thought I would kick things off with a review of my very first Ultrasaber. The Archon V3.1.

The first thing I want to do is give a shout out the various reviews that I watched because they were really helpful in weighing the pros and cons of this saber against my priorities and my budget. In particular I would want to site reviews from Prowl1701, RhylisArdhrn, and Sidious Sabers. I probably watched some of these like a million times as I weighed my options so thanks to those guys for making those vids.

Anyway, I purchased my Archon for an ROTJ Luke Skywalker costume that I am doing for DragonCon. I know the Archon isn't 100% screen accurate but IMO it is in all the ways that really matter to me. You got the thin neck with the gold/brass look, grenade handle etc. Honestly, even though the classic pommel was an option I kinda think the pommel with black is an improvement, as is the absence of the control box. That alone makes this saber much more fun to hold than any of the toy versions I have. I think the changes are pretty organic. I just mean that in the sense that these changes feel like a natural evolution of the same design if that makes sense.

Here are some unboxing pics. These were taken with my beat up Samsung G5 so they're not very slick:

I haven't had this saber for very long but I had some thoughts on some of the common things that seem to get brought up about it. The weight of the Archon V3.1 is something I actually find to be very nice and it feels good in hand. Though I do wonder if maybe a slightly smaller blade would help it balance a little more. Perhaps a 28 inch? As for the blade wobble, it's a little disconcerting but I find that as long as the retention screw is tightened it stays secure despite the fact that you can notice it. To anyone thinking of full scale dueling I'd say take the advice of others on this board an opt to equip your V3.1 with a V2 emitter. You loose that classy thin neck aesthetic but you're also less like to bend your hilt or put your opponents eye out with a flying heavy-grade. I do wonder if maybe a second retention screw on the opposite side would help with this issue.

On the subject of brightness I think the saber looks great! You'll notice in the pics above that when the blade is photographed it has that whiteish sheen to it that it does in the movies. If you can see the reflection of the blade you get a better idea of what it looks like IRL where it's much more green. The UltraEdge definitely brings the light all the way to tip and lets the blade have a nice consistent through out. 

I opted for the Obsidian Lite soundboard which was fine for my needs. The only real quibble I have with it so far is that sometimes the "woosh" sound effect can be a little unresponsive unless my swings are a little slower and very fluid.

Overall I am really pleased with the purchase. It's going to look great with my costume and it just a beautiful piece that is fun to wield. If any of you out there are considering buying this saber I would recommend it and I'll be happy to answer any questions people might have about it.

Here are the specs on the model I own:

Choose Your Configuration: Lite Sound]
[Choose the color of your blade!: TRI Consular Green for Archon v3.1]
[Flash on Clash: No Flash]
[Obsidian Lite Battery Configuration: Standard Setup]
[Archon v3 Blade Type: UltraEdge Heavy Grade for Archon v3]
[Blade Length: 32" Length]
[Obsidian Lite Sound: Obsidian Lite Soundboard]
[Pommel Version: Normal Version]
[Quick Disconnect: Nope.]
[Switch Type: Silver Non-Illuminated AV Switch]
[Choose Blade Tip Type: Round Tip]
[Blade Retention Screw Wrench: Sure!]
[Include Blade Plug: No Thanks]
[Include Saber Stand: No Thanks]
[Include Covertec Clip: No Thanks]
[Install Covertec Wheel: No Thanks]

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 12:00:11 AM »

Nice solid review. The Obsidian lite card can be annoying sometimes because there's no mute function. Note: In the thin neck, there is a thin tube of mirror film that can fall out if you take the lightsaber apart and wrinkles easily, so be careful if you take the saber apart. The LED Module actually is below the neck, so the film is in there to help concentrate the light to the emitter and blade.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 12:01:04 AM »

Hey folks! I'm new to Ultrasabers and the community but thought I would kick things off with a review of my very first Ultrasaber. The Archon V3.1.

The first thing I want to do is give a shout out the various reviews that I watched because they were really helpful in weighing the pros and cons of this saber against my priorities and my budget. In particular I would want to site reviews from Prowl1701, RhylisArdhrn, and Sidious Sabers. I probably watched some of these like a million times as I weighed my options so thanks to those guys for making those vids.

Anyway, I purchased my Archon for an ROTJ Luke Skywalker costume that I am doing for DragonCon. I know the Archon isn't 100% screen accurate but IMO it is in all the ways that really matter to me. You got the thin neck with the gold/brass look, grenade handle etc. Honestly, even though the classic pommel was an option I kinda think the pommel with black is an improvement, as is the absence of the control box. That alone makes this saber much more fun to hold than any of the toy versions I have. I think the changes are pretty organic. I just mean that in the sense that these changes feel like a natural evolution of the same design if that makes sense.

Here are some unboxing pics. These were taken with my beat up Samsung G5 so they're not very slick:

I haven't had this saber for very long but I had some thoughts on some of the common things that seem to get brought up about it. The weight of the Archon V3.1 is something I actually find to be very nice and it feels good in hand. Though I do wonder if maybe a slightly smaller blade would help it balance a little more. Perhaps a 28 inch? As for the blade wobble, it's a little disconcerting but I find that as long as the retention screw is tightened it stays secure despite the fact that you can notice it. To anyone thinking of full scale dueling I'd say take the advice of others on this board an opt to equip your V3.1 with a V2 emitter. You loose that classy thin neck aesthetic but you're also less like to bend your hilt or put your opponents eye out with a flying heavy-grade. I do wonder if maybe a second retention screw on the opposite side would help with this issue.

On the subject of brightness I think the saber looks great! You'll notice in the pics above that when the blade is photographed it has that whiteish sheen to it that it does in the movies. If you can see the reflection of the blade you get a better idea of what it looks like IRL where it's much more green. The UltraEdge definitely brings the light all the way to tip and lets the blade have a nice consistent through out. 

I opted for the Obsidian Lite soundboard which was fine for my needs. The only real quibble I have with it so far is that sometimes the "woosh" sound effect can be a little unresponsive unless my swings are a little slower and very fluid.

Overall I am really pleased with the purchase. It's going to look great with my costume and it just a beautiful piece that is fun to wield. If any of you out there are considering buying this saber I would recommend it and I'll be happy to answer any questions people might have about it.

Here are the specs on the model I own:

Choose Your Configuration: Lite Sound]
[Choose the color of your blade!: TRI Consular Green for Archon v3.1]
[Flash on Clash: No Flash]
[Obsidian Lite Battery Configuration: Standard Setup]
[Archon v3 Blade Type: UltraEdge Heavy Grade for Archon v3]
[Blade Length: 32" Length]
[Obsidian Lite Sound: Obsidian Lite Soundboard]
[Pommel Version: Normal Version]
[Quick Disconnect: Nope.]
[Switch Type: Silver Non-Illuminated AV Switch]
[Choose Blade Tip Type: Round Tip]
[Blade Retention Screw Wrench: Sure!]
[Include Blade Plug: No Thanks]
[Include Saber Stand: No Thanks]
[Include Covertec Clip: No Thanks]
[Install Covertec Wheel: No Thanks]
Welcome to the Forums KJ!

Like you, I love the Archon v3.1 (in fact this was the lightsaber that fueled my obsession  Wink).  Wonderful review!  Although just my opinion, I prefer the hilt with the activation box (which I achieved with an aftermarket Graflex clamp & circuit board)  Smiley

Point!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 12:23:30 AM »

Nice solid review. The Obsidian lite card can be annoying sometimes because there's no mute function. Note: In the thin neck, there is a thin tube of mirror film that can fall out if you take the lightsaber apart and wrinkles easily, so be careful if you take the saber apart. The LED Module actually is below the neck, so the film is in there to help concentrate the light to the emitter and blade.

Thanks Chalion! Yeah I think I've noticed the film sliding a little bit on mine. So far I've only taken the blade off once because I wanted to make sure the triangle ring would fit with the belt clip I have for my costume for when I want to walk around without the saber "on".  I'll actually revisit this review after the con to talk about things like how well the ring holds up.

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 12:30:50 AM »

Welcome to the Forums KJ!

Like you, I love the Archon v3.1 (in fact this was the lightsaber that fueled my obsession  Wink).  Wonderful review!  Although just my opinion, I prefer the hilt with the activation box (which I achieved with an aftermarket Graflex clamp & circuit board)  Smiley

Point!

Hey thanks for the welcome and the point Dutchman! I can understand preferring the box and it's cool that the Archon hilt is designed in such a way that you can add that if you want it. I've even seen some folks turn their Archon into the "stunt saber" complete with black neck and weathering. There are some amazing customizations out there.

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 01:42:08 AM »

Hello and welcome. I know just how you feel about this saber. Ok,so it isn't a perfect copy of Luke's saber, who cares! It's still FREAKING AWESOME TO OWN! I love my Archon v3.1.  Hope you enjoy yours as well. Nice pictures.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 02:08:55 AM »

This was also my first saber (in almost the exact configuration - I got the standard 36" blade).  That was back in February.  Six months later we have 13 Ultra Sabers in the house and two more on the way (hopefully more if I get lucky enough to get a raffle prize).  Welcome to the addiction! 

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 06:28:40 PM »

This was also my first saber (in almost the exact configuration - I got the standard 36" blade).  That was back in February.  Six months later we have 13 Ultra Sabers in the house and two more on the way (hopefully more if I get lucky enough to get a raffle prize).  Welcome to the addiction! 

Thanks Maestro! Wow, 13 just since February? That sounds like a hell of a collection in a short amount of time. I haven't even really thought about what my next one would be. Maybe a Graflex but I kinda wish there was like a slimmer variant of it. It's an awesome and iconic saber, I love it and have nothing but respect for it but at least based on the Hasbro model I have it's not that fun to hold. Granted I have slim wrists and small hands so maybe it bothers me more than it would others.

Speaking of that yeah I opted for the 32 inch blade over the 36. Even with that I'm debating whether or not to look into getting a custom blade maybe in 28 or 26 inch. I'd want to find a middle ground where it would balance better for me personally without it looking too stubby in proportion to the hilt.

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 87

Nerd for 3 decades plus and darn proud of it

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 04:14:10 AM »

Congratulations on the Archon, it's a wonderful saber and like you I think it's close enough to serve as a Luke replica in my collection.  The D-ring and that thin neck are so cool looking, the original trilogy vibes just roll off the thing in waves.  I paid for an extra retention screw opposite the standard single and it locks the blade in place very well in my experience.  I still temper my enthusiasm swinging the saber around due to the thin neck, but I don't worry about the blade flying off at least.  You could probably send your emitter back to UltraSabers to have an extra screw added for a nominal fee if you're interested.

Re: a thinner Graflex, if you're not worried about super cosmetic accuracy and just want the same general look and feel in a thinner and more usable hilt I would highly recommend the Prophecy.  I have both and while the Graflex is absolutely beautiful in its detail the Prophecy is one of the best handling sabers I own, definitely in my top three as far as spinning at least.  It's a bit small for me to use sparring two handed, but I have pretty big hands.  It's great one handed and if your hands are smaller it may be right up your alley for both.  Just a suggestion, YMMV.

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

S2mikey
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 14

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 11:00:03 AM »

Nice review and great saber!  I purchased the Archon 2.1 about a month ago and posted a review of it.  Our feelings are quite similar although yours is more "replica accurate" as far as Lukes ROTJ saber is concerned.  My options list was also very close to yours.  Its a great feeling saber in hand although Id say that for pure spinning I prefer my AEON L4.  The Archon can feel a little bottom heavy at times.  I did the 32" Ultra mid grade blade.  Its plenty bright like yours is.  I went with Guardian blue but the green you got will be the choice for my next saber.

I do wish the Lite board would let you mute the sound.   Other than that Im fine with the lite sound.

ENJOY!!!!! Smiley

AEON L4, Tri-Cree Fire orange
Archon 2.1, Tri-Cree Gaurdian Blue
Dark Sentinel L4 - Tri-Cree Consular Green, Green AV switch
Initiate V3, Catalyst Pommel, Violet, AV switch

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 12:43:58 PM »

Congratulations on the Archon, it's a wonderful saber and like you I think it's close enough to serve as a Luke replica in my collection.  The D-ring and that thin neck are so cool looking, the original trilogy vibes just roll off the thing in waves.  I paid for an extra retention screw opposite the standard single and it locks the blade in place very well in my experience.  I still temper my enthusiasm swinging the saber around due to the thin neck, but I don't worry about the blade flying off at least.  You could probably send your emitter back to UltraSabers to have an extra screw added for a nominal fee if you're interested.

Re: a thinner Graflex, if you're not worried about super cosmetic accuracy and just want the same general look and feel in a thinner and more usable hilt I would highly recommend the Prophecy.  I have both and while the Graflex is absolutely beautiful in its detail the Prophecy is one of the best handling sabers I own, definitely in my top three as far as spinning at least.  It's a bit small for me to use sparring two handed, but I have pretty big hands.  It's great one handed and if your hands are smaller it may be right up your alley for both.  Just a suggestion, YMMV.

Hey ktulu1347! I may take your advice on getting that second screw put in. It'd probably be worth it just to have that extra piece of mind. Also thanks for the Prophecy suggestion. I wonder if that's one that could be modded a bit to have more of a more Graflex look so I could maybe use it for a ESB Luke costume at some point.

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 12:56:42 PM »

Nice review and great saber!  I purchased the Archon 2.1 about a month ago and posted a review of it.  Our feelings are quite similar although yours is more "replica accurate" as far as Lukes ROTJ saber is concerned.  My options list was also very close to yours.  Its a great feeling saber in hand although Id say that for pure spinning I prefer my AEON L4.  The Archon can feel a little bottom heavy at times.  I did the 32" Ultra mid grade blade.  Its plenty bright like yours is.  I went with Guardian blue but the green you got will be the choice for my next saber.

I do wish the Lite board would let you mute the sound.   Other than that I'm fine with the lite sound.

ENJOY!!!!! Smiley

Thanks S2mikey! Yeah the Lite Sound board us just fine for me like I said in the review I've had some minor instances of unresponsiveness but the sound itself is great. It's got that awesome screech when you turn on.

But I agree a mute function would be nice. I bet that V2 looks good in the guardian blue. I've seen some V3's in the Arctic Blue and it looks awesome. I think Sunriders Destiny would look good with either emitter as well.

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 01:24:54 AM »

So update. Decided to test drive the d-ring/triangle ring and despite using a very slim belt clip it immediately started to bend and pull out when I tried walking around around with the hilt on the belt of my costume. The saber itself is fine, I realized it was happening before it could drop. Trying to figure out some sort of alternative d ring solution.

I really wish the triangle had been one piece rather than having a space in the middle. I guess the idea is to make it removable but then it sort of defeats the point for which it's supposed to function. So far that has been really the only major flaw in what is an awesome piece.

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 12:21:50 AM »

I've thought about replacing the D-ring with a key ring instead, but I don't wear mine at all, so for me it's just there for show.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »

So update. Decided to test drive the d-ring/triangle ring and despite using a very slim belt clip it immediately started to bend and pull out when I tried walking around around with the hilt on the belt of my costume. The saber itself is fine, I realized it was happening before it could drop. Trying to figure out some sort of alternative d ring solution.

I really wish the triangle had been one piece rather than having a space in the middle. I guess the idea is to make it removable but then it sort of defeats the point for which it's supposed to function. So far that has been really the only major flaw in what is an awesome piece.
You can get small split D-Rings on Amazon.  I don't know if it will go through the hole on the pommel the current D-ring is using, but it's work a try. 
Split D-Rings on Amazon

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: