Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Luke Skywalker fighting/spinning style?  (Read 1344 times)
Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

« on: August 18, 2019, 12:57:01 PM »

Hey folks!

Since I am going to be doing a Luke Skywalker ROTJ costume I've been trying to get ideas for poses for pictures and/or doing some minor choreography with other folks in costume. Luke in the OT isn't particularly flashy or twirly and he kinda swings it like a broadsword or claymore I guess but I was wondering if there was any resources for how his personal fighting form in meant to look? (Besides just rewatching scenes from the movies I mean.)

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 06:43:51 PM »

His style mostly founds on the former Lightsaber Form V, also called Shien/Djem So (check the various Lightsaber Forms to get better insight - Craig Page wrote a quite interesting and informative essay about them). It's more or less the "signature form" for many of the Skywalker bloodline according to Legends. However, since Luke didn't receive any actual lightsaber training like the younglings did, he didn't know much about the different forms. I think he used it without really knowing its basics, acting more instinctively.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 07:21:25 PM »

His style mostly founds on the former Lightsaber Form V, also called Shien/Djem So (check the various Lightsaber Forms to get better insight - Craig Page wrote a quite interesting and informative essay about them). It's more or less the "signature form" for many of the Skywalker bloodline according to Legends. However, since Luke didn't receive any actual lightsaber training like the younglings did, he didn't know much about the different forms. I think he used it without really knowing its basics, acting more instinctively.

Hey thanks for the reply Racona Nova! I'll look into Form V.

Good point about him never being trained like a youngling. In that sense he'd be like a self-taught artist with a very natural aptitude vs. someone with years of formal training. The movies seem to imply that Ben/Obi-Wan taught him some basic moves but was really focused on getting Luke to learn how to stretch out and feel the living Force in the first place. Yoda later expanded on that and breaking down Luke's perceptions about what is and isn't possible while also teaching him the differences between the Light and Dark sides. Though not on camera I would imagine that some saber training was done ( think there might even be a deleted scene) but still very informal.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 01:01:10 PM »

Obi-Wan left some information about the Forms in his home at Tatooine, and when Luke returned to build his new saber, he also learned about the Forms taught during the time of the Old Republic and the Jedi Council. So yes, he is a self-taught Jedi in almost any way - Obi-Wan and Yoda could teach him some of the basics, but not the more complex and advanced techniques and ways of the Force they had access to.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2784

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 02:07:56 PM »

Once again, Racona Nova got it

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: