Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: The Centurion, my Aeon LE complete Do Over  (Read 2869 times)
RadeFox
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 31

« on: August 21, 2019, 03:04:44 AM »

So yea... not even two weeks since I posted my new saber here http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=42414.0.

And so it goes, I still wasn't happy with the over all blandness of new look, so out came the paint stripper, and out came the wallet. Funny now, when I look back to having paid extra for the LE, then within a month its all painted over. Doh!  Tongue

I thought about it and wanted to go for something older looking, like a saber left over from Era just past the Fall of the Old Republic. A saber that was probably built during the waning golden years of the Jedi of that time, and then lost to the annals of time, and then found in a duracrate full of spare parts bought from some Bothan trader on a distant backwater of a planet.

What resulted after many layers of paint, washing, and highlighting ended up looking well, rather like a piece of Roman centurions gear so I decided to name it 'Centurion'.

I painted it all with Black Dupli-Color Wheel paint- that stuff is supposed to be heat, chemical, and chip resistant... so I am thinking it should hold up to some use and wear. A little dusting here and there with some Krylon to add some aged metal highlights (I used Oiled Bronze for some rings and Hammered Pewter as a dust.)

Here is the Emitter section, showing some heat marring and its age; and hinting at its former golden glory.

Some texturing I gave to the body really gives it a good feel and look.

And of course, the weathered hilt, with fresh grips added by the new owner. The O-Rings are VERY tight (7/8" stretched) providing amazing grip...AND they elevate your hold just off the paint, to help protect it. Double bonus!

Then the pommel, with the sweet little mesh trick I came up with.

And lastly the obligatory pretty light show!

I think it turned out pretty good. To me looks like something you might see in a Knights of the Old Republic comic style of lightsaber. The coloring really looks nice, and from arms length all the little "imperfections" of the paint blend into a suitable artifact effect. I feel it also has a nice 'warm and earthy' feel to it, a weapon an old nature protector Jedi might have wielded.

Hope you all enjoy it, and thanks for taking the time to look it over. May the Force be with you!

My Ulttasabers: Centurion- an Aeon LE v5
                             -Black Combat Ready Fallen

ScificommodoreJones
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 29

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »

Looks Great, thanks for sharing keep us informed how well it holds up

Sabers owned for my granddaughter is The Dark Sentinel   LE V4 Fire orange stunt saber, while I got the Dark Apprentice v5 with light sound and tri Fire orange, the fallen V4, artic blue foc
Wife got Dominix Le V2 blazing red ,Guardian  tri  Adegan Silver
Dark Arbiter FO FOC silver V4 sound

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 12:08:38 PM »

Very nice work. Point for creativity.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 02:49:49 AM »

Some excellent results there.
Very nice work

RadeFox
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 01:49:55 PM »

Some excellent results there.
Very nice work

Thanks!  As I look over my other sabers,  I just see a lot of silver , black,  and shiny.  This one will really look nice in comparison,  and make the others look good too.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 07:06:24 PM »

Wow... this looks FANTASTIC!  I am so hesitant to modify anything, it's not funny.  My vehicle is over a decade old (I bought it brand new), and I still have "new-car-itis," and am unwilling to customize it by adding anything that will damage the paint or pierce the metal.  All my emergency lights are magnet-mount, and I have refused to install the 100W horn/PA that I had on my previous vehicle.

I should take heart from your results, and worry less about "perfection" and more about "suitability," I think.  What you have shown here is not "machine-shop perfect" in appearance, but it is completely suitable for its purpose, and the imperfections, whether they were actually deliberate or accidental, all look as if they belong.

Well done!  I've given you a point for this.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 05:29:24 PM »

Radefox, that's a great looking saber mod!   Far more ambitious than the one I did and it looks absolutely fabulous!   Nicely done!

Do you have more detail on the mesh install?  I'd love to see how you did that.   My main beef with all of the lower-end sound pommels is a lack of any kind of grid.

Thanks!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 05:53:43 PM »

Radefox, that's a great looking saber mod!   Far more ambitious than the one I did and it looks absolutely fabulous!   Nicely done!

Do you have more detail on the mesh install?  I'd love to see how you did that.   My main beef with all of the lower-end sound pommels is a lack of any kind of grid.

Thanks!
+1 on the request for details regarding the mesh install.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

TR-77477
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -361

Join The Darkside ( We have cookies)

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 08:10:03 PM »

Point for grabbing the reigns and customizing your saber.

"The Jedi and Sith wield the Ashla and the Bogan, the light and the dark. I'm the one in the middle, the Bendu."

Wish list---Consular--Flamberge V2--Omen

Make-A-Wish Donations

Dark apprentice v4 with FOC and basic sound GB -- Dark Apprentice LE v4 (Grab Bag) GB
Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR -- Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR

Gifted

Dominix V4--- Initiate V4---Graflex SE SD---Dark Apprentice v4 GB
Dark Standard issue CG at Dcon 2018---Six Mystery Boxes at dcon 2019

RadeFox
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 03:42:50 AM »

The mesh was crazy easy.  I took a 1/2" ring of heavy blade material I had just cut from a blade plug so it would fit this emitter.  I then sanded it,  and painted one side black.

Next I took about a 1.75" circle of Pet Screen,  this is a nylon coated and reinforced screen for windows you can get at most hardware stores. The ring was just a bit larger then the diameter of the pommel.  Then using an extra blade plug (though any tool of 1" diameter will work),  I forced the ring into the screen and down into the pommel from the scew top down towards the base. I did trim any excess screen from around the ring once it was flush with the top of the ppmmel. Then I kept on tapping,  eventually stopping about 1/8" from the end.  It took some banging with a mallet to get it going in initially,  but then it was just tapping it down till it was where I wanted it.

A bonus for Pet Screen is it does come various colors too,  so you could get green,  blue,  white,  etc.  But you would likely have to order those online.

Hope this was helpful!

RadeFox
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 05:22:34 PM »

Oh yea, forgot to add you want to sand down the outer bottom edge of the plug ring,  so it's a bit rounded and won't bite through the pet screen as it's being forced into the pommel.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 02:28:25 PM »

The mesh was crazy easy.  I took a 1/2" ring of heavy blade material I had just cut from a blade plug so it would fit this emitter.  I then sanded it,  and painted one side black.

Next I took about a 1.75" circle of Pet Screen,  this is a nylon coated and reinforced screen for windows you can get at most hardware stores. The ring was just a bit larger then the diameter of the pommel.  Then using an extra blade plug (though any tool of 1" diameter will work),  I forced the ring into the screen and down into the pommel from the scew top down towards the base. I did trim any excess screen from around the ring once it was flush with the top of the ppmmel. Then I kept on tapping,  eventually stopping about 1/8" from the end.  It took some banging with a mallet to get it going in initially,  but then it was just tapping it down till it was where I wanted it.

A bonus for Pet Screen is it does come various colors too,  so you could get green,  blue,  white,  etc.  But you would likely have to order those online.

Hope this was helpful!

Very!  Point incoming!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

StarWars_and_Guitars
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 11

Action figure and prop collector

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 03:38:00 PM »

Fantastic. I'm getting ready to paint Nerf and Rubies blasters and this is very inspiring.

Archon v3
Graflex se
Consular
MR Yoda

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »

So yea... not even two weeks since I posted my new saber here http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=42414.0.

And so it goes, I still wasn't happy with the over all blandness of new look, so out came the paint stripper, and out came the wallet. Funny now, when I look back to having paid extra for the LE, then within a month its all painted over. Doh!  Tongue

I thought about it and wanted to go for something older looking, like a saber left over from Era just past the Fall of the Old Republic. A saber that was probably built during the waning golden years of the Jedi of that time, and then lost to the annals of time, and then found in a duracrate full of spare parts bought from some Bothan trader on a distant backwater of a planet.

What resulted after many layers of paint, washing, and highlighting ended up looking well, rather like a piece of Roman centurions gear so I decided to name it 'Centurion'.

I painted it all with Black Dupli-Color Wheel paint- that stuff is supposed to be heat, chemical, and chip resistant... so I am thinking it should hold up to some use and wear. A little dusting here and there with some Krylon to add some aged metal highlights (I used Oiled Bronze for some rings and Hammered Pewter as a dust.)

Here is the Emitter section, showing some heat marring and its age; and hinting at its former golden glory.

Some texturing I gave to the body really gives it a good feel and look.

And of course, the weathered hilt, with fresh grips added by the new owner. The O-Rings are VERY tight (7/8" stretched) providing amazing grip...AND they elevate your hold just off the paint, to help protect it. Double bonus!

Then the pommel, with the sweet little mesh trick I came up with.

And lastly the obligatory pretty light show!

I think it turned out pretty good. To me looks like something you might see in a Knights of the Old Republic comic style of lightsaber. The coloring really looks nice, and from arms length all the little "imperfections" of the paint blend into a suitable artifact effect. I feel it also has a nice 'warm and earthy' feel to it, a weapon an old nature protector Jedi might have wielded.

Hope you all enjoy it, and thanks for taking the time to look it over. May the Force be with you!

Love the look, love the name! Point!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: