Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Thoughts on TLJ  (Read 10357 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 06:14:56 PM »

It's because so little has been said that I think they would still have room to work in. Unless Episode 9 just confirms Luke didn't do much after ROTJ which would be a waste IMO.

Yea it looks as if he didn't even pick up any Students until 10 years or so before TFA.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 07:03:02 PM »

Yea it looks as if he didn't even pick up any Students until 10 years or so before TFA.

Well, my thought (and if there's some dialog or something I'm forgetting about feel free to correct me) was that he wouldn't have started taking on students right away since his own experience would still be fairly limited and both his teachers are gone (still around as Force ghosts I know..). But there could be a time period after ROTJ where he'd be acting as basically the only Jedi around and he would hone his skills through his adventures and learning how to teach through his experience with helping Leia understand her powers, eventually reaching the point later in life when he felt he was ready to start the Temple.

StupidSexyFlanders
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -34

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 05:26:46 AM »

My problems with the movie were less about the movie itself, but how Disney and the director handled criticism and lashed out at fans. If you criticize the film now you're just a nerd with nostalgia goggles on who is living in the past. What a lazy dismissal of the flaws with your movies.
There were many things I didn't like about the film though. Comedic timing seemed off and they couldn't pick what mood they wanted for the film. Rose made me cringe. Space flying Leia made me cringe.
While the part with Hodo hyper spacing through the fleet looked stunning from a visual standpoint, it kind of rendered every space battle in every other Star Wars film kind of pointless.  Why weren't they autopiloting ships through the death star or at the very least capital ships in the other movies?

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2019, 01:32:33 PM »

Well, my thought (and if there's some dialog or something I'm forgetting about feel free to correct me) was that he wouldn't have started taking on students right away since his own experience would still be fairly limited and both his teachers are gone (still around as Force ghosts I know..). But there could be a time period after ROTJ where he'd be acting as basically the only Jedi around and he would hone his skills through his adventures and learning how to teach through his experience with helping Leia understand her powers, eventually reaching the point later in life when he felt he was ready to start the Temple.

There is very little of what Luke did after ROTJ in new canon.   There is a comic that takes place a week or so after ROTJ where Luke and Shara Bey (Poe Dameron's Mother) go on a mission to retrieve an artifact from one of Palpatine's labs.  It was the tree that stood in the Jedi Temple and Palps was growing another one from a clipping.  Luke gave the sapling to Shara and Poe grew up playing under that tree.  Then Battlefront II (the new one) had a Level where you play as Luke retrieving a compass from one of Palpatine's vaults.  Inidently, if anyone hasn't played it or seen it on youtube I urge those like me, who were not happy with Luke in TLJ, to watch it.  It gives us the Luke we wanted to see.  Kind, Fair, powerful.  He decimated a group of soldiers and then saved their leader who was trapped.  Later when the Leader says something about it Luke apologizes for it.  When asked by the imperial why he spared him luke responds "They gave me no choice, you did."  
      Rambling, sorry.  Next is the book "The Legends of Luke Skywalker"  basically a bunch of stories from other people across the universe about Luke popping up post ROTJ.  No training anyone mostly retrieving artifacts and or learning the different ways of the Force.   While I don't mind Luke taking time before training Students, it does seem like he took more than 10 years.  Going by dialogue both in books and the film Ben burned the temple 4 or 5 years before TFA.  Luke says he took his nephew and some students and began the temple.  So lets give it 2 years of training...if right Luke only began training students at least 27-28 ABY.   In the EU he began taking students in 11 ABY.   Also going by the books, including Bloodline (the book in which the galaxy finds out Luke and Leia are Darth Vader's children) Luke seems to have retreated from the galaxy already.  No one knows where he is or what he is doing.  While in the EU Luke is acting like a Jedi.  Letting the Galaxy know he's there...of course not in a arrogant way of course.  But he was also still learning as well.

My problems with the movie were less about the movie itself, but how Disney and the director handled criticism and lashed out at fans. If you criticize the film now you're just a nerd with nostalgia goggles on who is living in the past. What a lazy dismissal of the flaws with your movies.
There were many things I didn't like about the film though. Comedic timing seemed off and they couldn't pick what mood they wanted for the film. Rose made me cringe. Space flying Leia made me cringe.
While the part with Hodo hyper spacing through the fleet looked stunning from a visual standpoint, it kind of rendered every space battle in every other Star Wars film kind of pointless.  Why weren't they autopiloting ships through the death star or at the very least capital ships in the other movies?
That is a really big issue as well.  It is truly what has made many, including myself, so angry.  To be labeled a sexist, misogynist or a racist simply because you have criticism.  Now I know there were trolls who did spout that crap...but to immediately shut down any criticism because of those few comments is becoming all too common.

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2019, 01:48:45 PM »

I did see the comic with Shara Bey, awesome art on that one! Also had the pleasure of seeing the Battlefront 2 scenes and really enjoyed those as well.  That’s the kind of thing I was thinking of, basically using those years before the temple to showcase him on adventures like that and with the original cast of characters. An animated series would seem to be the best way to go because I’m not sure who you could get to be a worthy successor to Mark Hamill in live action. Though it would be fun to have Mark himself do the voice.

Also I’ll confess, we’ve had a ton of Star Wars cartoons but it always bothered me we never got one featuring the original full cast of characters.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 01:52:06 PM »

I did see the comic with Shara Bey, awesome art on that one! Also had the pleasure of seeing the Battlefront 2 scenes and really enjoyed those as well.  That’s the kind of thing I was thinking of, basically using those years before the temple to showcase him on adventures like that and with the original cast of characters. An animated series would seem to be the best way to go because I’m not sure who you could get to be a worthy successor to Mark Hamill in live action. Though it would be fun to have Mark himself do the voice.

Also I’ll confess, we’ve had a ton of Star Wars cartoons but it always bothered me we never got one featuring the original full cast of characters.

Same

Ilowarith
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -16

Dark leaning, but will allow the Force to choose.

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 01:36:57 AM »

Rose made me cringe.

Yup.
Space flying Leia made me cringe.

Yup.

I always think of capital ships as a limited resource, especially for the Rebellion. They wouldn't or couldn't really be able to just waste an aircraft carrier size fleet equivalent of corvettes, frigates etc, on a kamikaze style attack. My understanding was they massed most of thier fleet at Yavin IV for the DS1 engagement, so any ship is valued. Of course it seems like the Resistance had even fewer ships at thier disposal in TLJ, but it was some cool cinematography.

Good is a point of view.

My sabers : Aeon v4 - CG - OBS LITE  - Green-silver AV - catalyst pommel - |w| ~ $75 MB upgraded
Electrum Wind - Diamond - VA - SY FoC
Sentinel v4 - Stunt - BR - Silver AV  ~ $75 MB
Dark Apprentice v4 - Stunt - BR
Aeon v4 - Stunt - AB - Silver AV ~ 2020 Spring raffle 4th place
Aeon v3 - Stunt - CG - Silver AV ~ $75 MB

Wishlist : Raven SS, Crimson Butcher, Crimson Savior, Emperor's Hand, Menace SE staff, Crimson Scorpion, Manticore, Flamberge v2, Dark Graflex, Lost Grey, Guardian, Dark Standard Issue v3, & Dark Apprentice LE v5

StupidSexyFlanders
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -34

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2019, 05:49:34 AM »

Yup.
Yup.

I always think of capital ships as a limited resource, especially for the Rebellion. They wouldn't or couldn't really be able to just waste an aircraft carrier size fleet equivalent of corvettes, frigates etc, on a kamikaze style attack. My understanding was they massed most of thier fleet at Yavin IV for the DS1 engagement, so any ship is valued. Of course it seems like the Resistance had even fewer ships at thier disposal in TLJ, but it was some cool cinematography.

But aren't X-Wings capable of slipspace jumps? If a capital ship could take out a whole fleet surely an xwing could split at least one capital ship in half. Set a handful up with autopilot droids and wipe out all their big ships. You lose more fighters than that trying to take them out conventionally anyway

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2019, 03:43:02 AM »

But aren't X-Wings capable of slipspace jumps? If a capital ship could take out a whole fleet surely an xwing could split at least one capital ship in half. Set a handful up with autopilot droids and wipe out all their big ships. You lose more fighters than that trying to take them out conventionally anyway

You get a well-earned point for substituting "slipspace" for hyperspace, just brilliant. You are correct, X-wings do have the capability as do a massive plethora of ships big and small in the Star Wars universe. I bring this major plot hole up to my friend all the time who happens to really like TLJ and his response is usually a weak "well, probably nobody thought to do this before Holdo had the bright idea." Personally I think it's ridiculous. Forget using ships at all, why not hyperspace-enabled warheads? Maybe it wouldn't have destroyed the entire Death Star but an aimed shot right down the laser array would have turned the station into a massive yet harmless piece of space junk. This is really a major issue with the movie in that Rian Johnson seemed content with making his own movie like it was a standalone film and not part of a greater universe. In that sense, I don't think he really cared in how it affected the rest of the franchise, and that is something I find impossible to tolerate.

I do agree overall with Darth Tepes in that a lot of fans hated not necessarily what happened in the movie but the way it happened. The plot points just fall apart under even superficial examination. Why doesn't the First Order just use a few other ships to blink out of hyperspace to stop the Rebels? Because: plot. How can Rey become Jedi Master-level with the Force despite TLJ happening literally a day after TFA? Because: plot. Why does Rose prevent Finn from sacrificing himself so they can all die together instead of having a shot at surviving (she has no idea Luke is going to show up and save the day). Because (you guessed it): plot.

But it's really sad that even with JJ coming back to direct 9, his hands are tied in many ways by the crazy plot decisions that were made in TLJ. There is no possible way to scale back Rey's powers now, Kylo doesn't stand a snowball's chance on Mustafar. There is, however, an old character involved that would seem to be a match for Rey, we'll see...

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2019, 01:56:21 PM »

You get a well-earned point for substituting "slipspace" for hyperspace, just brilliant. You are correct, X-wings do have the capability as do a massive plethora of ships big and small in the Star Wars universe. I bring this major plot hole up to my friend all the time who happens to really like TLJ and his response is usually a weak "well, probably nobody thought to do this before Holdo had the bright idea." Personally I think it's ridiculous. Forget using ships at all, why not hyperspace-enabled warheads? Maybe it wouldn't have destroyed the entire Death Star but an aimed shot right down the laser array would have turned the station into a massive yet harmless piece of space junk. This is really a major issue with the movie in that Rian Johnson seemed content with making his own movie like it was a standalone film and not part of a greater universe. In that sense, I don't think he really cared in how it affected the rest of the franchise, and that is something I find impossible to tolerate.

I do agree overall with Darth Tepes in that a lot of fans hated not necessarily what happened in the movie but the way it happened. The plot points just fall apart under even superficial examination. Why doesn't the First Order just use a few other ships to blink out of hyperspace to stop the Rebels? Because: plot. How can Rey become Jedi Master-level with the Force despite TLJ happening literally a day after TFA? Because: plot. Why does Rose prevent Finn from sacrificing himself so they can all die together instead of having a shot at surviving (she has no idea Luke is going to show up and save the day). Because (you guessed it): plot.

But it's really sad that even with JJ coming back to direct 9, his hands are tied in many ways by the crazy plot decisions that were made in TLJ. There is no possible way to scale back Rey's powers now, Kylo doesn't stand a snowball's chance on Mustafar. There is, however, an old character involved that would seem to be a match for Rey, we'll see...

I'd defend a few of these.

The hyperspace ram has a few explanations, the most "canon" is from the novelization where its mentioned the Raddus had high-strength experimental shielding, allowing it to survive the collision for just long enough into the impact to cause NLS shrapnel, personally I also think with the EU's explanation for how weird hyperspace gets, my headcanon is if a person tried this theyd have just a big of a chance hitting the ship as being tunneled into an alternate dimension with a rapid unplanned jump such as that. We've even heard Han say how much prep needs to go in a single jump, so even weaponizing it via "point and shoot" is probably not terribly reliable.

As for Rey, I still maintain we dont really know what she is. Hopefully RoS can clear up her deal because its shown from the getgo she is unnaturally strong in the force, even being so significant for Snoke to refer to her abilities as "an awakening".

As for Rose, an emotional character in a dire situation with the only character she made an emotional connection with about to kill himself, I reall dont think that logic and reason was at the forefront of her mind at that moment. People make weird/bad decisions when emotional.

ElvenSkywalker83
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 14

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 03:26:15 PM »

Interesting outlook! I'm one of those fans who's a 'hater' of TLJ, but I thought this forum could get me looking at other people's differing opinions, and yours is definitely valid, probably the best opinion I've seen from someone who actually likes TLJ. I especially agree with you about Hux. My mother and I were impressed by him when he stood up to Kylo Ren in TFA. That guy has guts! I dunno who the guy in TLJ was, but he sure wasn't the Hux from TFA. Probably a warped clone... and Phasma, I wish she had more character building. I think the problem with the sequels is character arcs, and barely any character has an arc besides Kylo Ren, and pardon me for saying so, but his arc hasn't really intrigued me yet, maybe TROS will change my mind, but I think things would've been cooler if Rey took Kylo's hand in the end and joined him.

I think the only thing I can really disagree with you on is Luke's portrayal. I admire EU Luke because, honestly, he's as human as it gets even with powers such as his own. Not to mention, he still needs help fighting evil, he couldn't even defeat his Dark Side tendency til the Diamala outright rejected him and Mara Jade so bluntly pointed out everything Luke was doing wrong in his life all because of the Darkness ruling his path since The Dark Empire fiasco. But Luke has grown into a Jedi Master, often he is well equipped to actually take on higher threats. Though even then he needs help destroying an evil doer like Abeloth. That monster even Jedi Master Skywalker could not take out without his Jedi order, and even recruited the help of a Sith if I remember correctly. Anyways, point is EU Luke definitely had his struggles and flaws, defeats and victories.

But I digress, reading your thoughts was insightful and I'm glad to have gotten to read them! Much love and may the Force be with you!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 01:08:34 PM »

Interesting outlook! I'm one of those fans who's a 'hater' of TLJ, but I thought this forum could get me looking at other people's differing opinions, and yours is definitely valid, probably the best opinion I've seen from someone who actually likes TLJ. I especially agree with you about Hux. My mother and I were impressed by him when he stood up to Kylo Ren in TFA. That guy has guts! I dunno who the guy in TLJ was, but he sure wasn't the Hux from TFA. Probably a warped clone... and Phasma, I wish she had more character building. I think the problem with the sequels is character arcs, and barely any character has an arc besides Kylo Ren, and pardon me for saying so, but his arc hasn't really intrigued me yet, maybe TROS will change my mind, but I think things would've been cooler if Rey took Kylo's hand in the end and joined him.

I think the only thing I can really disagree with you on is Luke's portrayal. I admire EU Luke because, honestly, he's as human as it gets even with powers such as his own. Not to mention, he still needs help fighting evil, he couldn't even defeat his Dark Side tendency til the Diamala outright rejected him and Mara Jade so bluntly pointed out everything Luke was doing wrong in his life all because of the Darkness ruling his path since The Dark Empire fiasco. But Luke has grown into a Jedi Master, often he is well equipped to actually take on higher threats. Though even then he needs help destroying an evil doer like Abeloth. That monster even Jedi Master Skywalker could not take out without his Jedi order, and even recruited the help of a Sith if I remember correctly. Anyways, point is EU Luke definitely had his struggles and flaws, defeats and victories.

But I digress, reading your thoughts was insightful and I'm glad to have gotten to read them! Much love and may the Force be with you!

Appreciate the thoughts!

My whole thing with EU Luke is where he had high's and low's it always felt very obvious he would overcome them. How couldnt he? He's LUKE SKYWALKER, DEFENDER OF THE GALAXY >insert Ginyu Force pose<. Abeloth I love as a lovecraft fan, but the fact they had to pull out something one step away from godhood to one-up Luke kinda shows my irritation with the power scaling.

My whole opinion on EU Luke was summed up by TLJ Luke funnily enough (quote might not be exact here but its darn close;

"What do you expect me to do? Face down the whole First Order with a lightsaber?"

Does sound kinda silly when he puts it like that.

Point for discussion!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2019, 02:04:31 PM »

Appreciate the thoughts!

My whole thing with EU Luke is where he had high's and low's it always felt very obvious he would overcome them. How couldnt he? He's LUKE SKYWALKER, DEFENDER OF THE GALAXY >insert Ginyu Force pose<. Abeloth I love as a lovecraft fan, but the fact they had to pull out something one step away from godhood to one-up Luke kinda shows my irritation with the power scaling.

My whole opinion on EU Luke was summed up by TLJ Luke funnily enough (quote might not be exact here but its darn close;

"What do you expect me to do? Face down the whole First Order with a lightsaber?"

Does sound kinda silly when he puts it like that.

Point for discussion!

That's where many of us differ.  To you it sounds silly...for me it is exactly what I was hoping for.  Like we've discussed before its the way characters like that will always be.  If every Superman story was him stopping bank robbers and petty criminals it would get boring.  But break out Doomsday or Darkseid and you got a story.  Same with Luke.  He was the son of the chosen one, he fulfilled a Destiny 1000's of years coming. He was connected to the Force like no other.  NOT having his power grow would be a disservice.  There are threats that the average Jedi can take on...then there are the Luke Level Threats.  But just like Superman...the interest comes from this Powerful character with an insane amount of responsibility trying to live a normal life.  Both Luke and Superman would love nothing more than to spend their time with their families. 

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 02:15:46 PM »

That's where many of us differ.  To you it sounds silly...for me it is exactly what I was hoping for.  Like we've discussed before its the way characters like that will always be.  If every Superman story was him stopping bank robbers and petty criminals it would get boring.  But break out Doomsday or Darkseid and you got a story.  Same with Luke.  He was the son of the chosen one, he fulfilled a Destiny 1000's of years coming. He was connected to the Force like no other.  NOT having his power grow would be a disservice.  There are threats that the average Jedi can take on...then there are the Luke Level Threats.  But just like Superman...the interest comes from this Powerful character with an insane amount of responsibility trying to live a normal life.  Both Luke and Superman would love nothing more than to spend their time with their families. 

And thats perfectly understandable. Something i often forget to mention once i get rolling is I really do understand why this version of Luke failed to resonate with so many fans. It was a different character entirely not the culmination or exemplification of any EU material. I know many people put Luke in that bracket of superheroes, and he deserves to be included in it. My "moment" i guess that won me over was indeed that line, but not because my brain said "YES! That IS what I'd expect you to do!" But because that line brought me out of the movie in a good, yet unexpected way. It grounded the movie in this kind of emotional realism for me. It all at once hit me like this is Luke admitting he's not strong enough. It's that moment where I began to really take Kylo and the FO seriously. All of a sudden I realized that Luke's traditional plot armor wasnt valid. In that moment to me he felt like a real person with real consequences to his heroics. It wasn't about a superhero anymore. It wasnt about Batman, it was about the damaged and scared Bruce Wayne having to face his actual demons not just punching the bad guys. It was about Clark Kent and his struggle not to hurt those around him.

In that moment for me, Luke transcended being just a movie character. He became a real person. With his flaws, and regrets, and guilt. He wasnt going to swing a light sword and save the day battling evil doers to a trumpeting symphony; he was a man who at his very core felt afraid, who felt anger, who even felt hate, but most of all.

He felt suffering.

ElvenSkywalker83
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 14

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2019, 02:29:42 PM »

And thats perfectly understandable. Something i often forget to mention once i get rolling is I really do understand why this version of Luke failed to resonate with so many fans. It was a different character entirely not the culmination or exemplification of any EU material. I know many people put Luke in that bracket of superheroes, and he deserves to be included in it. My "moment" i guess that won me over was indeed that line, but not because my brain said "YES! That IS what I'd expect you to do!" But because that line brought me out of the movie in a good, yet unexpected way. It grounded the movie in this kind of emotional realism for me. It all at once hit me like this is Luke admitting he's not strong enough. It's that moment where I began to really take Kylo and the FO seriously. All of a sudden I realized that Luke's traditional plot armor wasnt valid. In that moment to me he felt like a real person with real consequences to his heroics. It wasn't about a superhero anymore. It wasnt about Batman, it was about the damaged and scared Bruce Wayne having to face his actual demons not just punching the bad guys. It was about Clark Kent and his struggle not to hurt those around him.

In that moment for me, Luke transcended being just a movie character. He became a real person. With his flaws, and regrets, and guilt. He wasnt going to swing a light sword and save the day battling evil doers to a trumpeting symphony; he was a man who at his very core felt afraid, who felt anger, who even felt hate, but most of all.

He felt suffering.

Oh Force, love that. Doesn't convince me it's the real Luke but that's truly a nicer thought than what others have said. For me Luke's real, humanizing moment was hanging from Cloud City, his hand cut off, his father revealed to be a monster, and he is all alone, frightened and begging for help. The other would have to be Luke writhing under Sidious and his Force Lightning. Those two moments have always reminded Luke isn't all powerful even half the time. But your thoughts are well thought out and not condescending or deflections. Sorry I'm just so happy there's sane people who don't bash EU Luke just for the sake of bashing him. I think they could've done better with a 'given up' Luke though. I've written a few fanfics where Luke does give up at some point, but I think why people like myself really don't like Luke's portrayal in TLJ is because of him attempting to kill Ben in his SLEEP! That really broke everything for lots of people, and the main reason I reject him as being my Luke Skywalker. There's a huge difference between Luke attacking Darth Vader for threatening his sister, and Luke freaking out because his nephew just might be a bit evil or is being manipulated by Goll- I mean Snoke.
I think that's the main and probably only reason for a lot of people that this portrayal is just downright hurtful and disrespectful to what Luke went through with other Dark Siders, especially when Luke was able to redeem a man like Vader, but had no thought of hope to save his nephew from the same evil.

I'm so sorry for the ramble!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: