Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Star Wars Retcon: New Canon Sith Logo Replaces Legends  (Read 4396 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« on: September 05, 2019, 01:25:37 PM »

The Sith have a new symbol in Star Wars canon, which seems to replace the one previously used in Legends. While Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine were the two Sith Lords in the original Star Wars trilogy, it wasn't until the prequels released that Lucasfilm dove deep into the history of the Sith in canon. Up until then, practically everything Star Wars fans knew about the Sith came from the Expanded Universe (later Legends). But that's slowly starting to change.

It seems the Sith are returning to play a part in J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, which is why, leading up to the sequel's release in December 2019, Lucasfilm is making a big push with more Sith-related content. They began with Palpatine's return being confirmed at Star Wars Celebration, and then continued with an announcement shortly before San Diego Comic-Con that Sith troopers will appear in The Rise of Skywalker. And now, it looks like another bit of Sith lore has found its way online.

Gearing up for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker's big Force Friday event, the merchandising team at Lucasfilm unveiled a batch of clothing and other Star Wars-related goods on the official Star Wars website, including a phone case that featured a new symbol with the word "Sith" under it (which has since been removed, but there are other Sith-related items with the same symbol still up). It would be fair to link the two together by association, but this particular symbol previously appeared alongside Darth Vader in Star Wars: Who's Who in the Galaxy: Character Storybook.

In that July 2019 book by Ella Patrick, there's a section that lists the Jedi and Sith in Star Wars canon, and to identify their allegiance, there's a symbol to represent both orders of the Force. While the Jedi symbol is one that's been around for several years, the Sith symbol was new - and it wasn't until now that it could be confirmed, without a doubt, that it's the new symbol to represent the dark side Force users in canon (at least ones that follow the Sith Order).

What's interesting is that there already was a Sith symbol before this one, but it was primarily (and possibly only) used in Star Wars Legends. While the Lucasfilm Story Group has been slowly but surely reintroducing various story and character elements from Legends back into canon, they've also been making sweeping changes (some at the behest of George Lucas himself). One of them was the Sith's homeworld - which changed from Korriban to Moraband - and now the next step, ahead of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker's release, is the official symbol of the Sith Order.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 03:57:08 PM »

Its not a bad sigil, and you can certainly see the influence from the old design. Though it will take some getting used to. (Moraband still sounds wrong to me whenever i hear it)

Bob Loblaw
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 04:46:39 PM »

...the Sith's homeworld - which changed from Korriban to Moraband...

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 07:20:44 PM »

Thanks for summing up my feelings. +1

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 07:50:00 PM »

All because he though it sounded to much like Courscant

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 08:25:51 PM »

All because he though it sounded to much like Courscant
Kinda like how everyone confused Jedi Nox and Darth Knox?

Filoni's an idiot.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 08:36:32 PM »

Kinda like how everyone confused Jedi Nox and Darth Knox?

Filoni's an idiot.

The Moraband thing was Lucas' call. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 08:44:21 PM »

The Moraband thing was Lucas' call. 
Even phonetically it sounds inferior.

Sig by For Tyeth

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 09:00:16 PM »

Even phonetically it sounds inferior.
So, SO true...

Thanks for the laugh, Bob  Smiley

Points!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Bob Loblaw
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 09:21:22 PM »

So, SO true...

Thanks for the laugh, Bob  Smiley

Points!

Back at ya, Dutch!

We haven't even talked about the new symbol. I'm so pissed about changing KORRIBAN'S name that I forgot all about it.

For the record I do NOT like the new symbol. Just as Moraband sounds weak, the new symbol lacks any of the power that the original evoked.

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 09:59:18 PM »

Well, those Sith Troopers will be easy kills. No elbow/knee joint armor, no armpit protection and the overlapping shoulder pauldrons will hinder melee weapon use.

Sith logo: I can live with it. Korriban replaced with Moraband..................well, I finished with playing SWTOR, but I played that for almost 7 years and Korriban was home for my Marauders & Sorcerers.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 01:00:13 PM »

Back at ya, Dutch!

We haven't even talked about the new symbol. I'm so pissed about changing KORRIBAN'S name that I forgot all about it.

For the record I do NOT like the new symbol. Just as Moraband sounds weak, the new symbol lacks any of the power that the original evoked.

Sig by For Tyeth

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 01:17:38 PM »

Back at ya, Dutch!

I do think it would be better without the circle. I kinda get the imagery they were after but with the whole sigil dominated by a soft round shape it loses a little bit of its aggression. I feel like instead of the circle if you extended the two "prongs" it would look a touch meaner

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 03:06:49 PM »

I do think it would be better without the circle. I kinda get the imagery they were after but with the whole sigil dominated by a soft round shape it loses a little bit of its aggression. I feel like instead of the circle if you extended the two "prongs" it would look a touch meaner
YES. They need more than just a simple geometry with symmetric cut out notches.

Sonnuva....

Considering the popularity of this mask. Look at the negative space of the emblem and the mesh of the mask. It might be a stretch, but I think they may be working towards a ripoff.

Sig by For Tyeth

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 05:12:45 PM »

YES. They need more than just a simple geometry with symmetric cut out notches.

Sonnuva....

Considering the popularity of this mask. Look at the negative space of the emblem and the mesh of the mask. It might be a stretch, but I think they may be working towards a ripoff.

Whats the mask from?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: