Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Sith + Monster Hunter mashup?  (Read 2223 times)
Mangoat
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« on: September 10, 2019, 07:03:32 AM »

First off, I've never cosplayed before. Have no skill in creating my own things, so I'm likely buying pieces here and there to create something. Hopefully something original. Posting here, it'll obviously be Star Wars related.

My lightsaber is a Dark Apprentice V5 with violet blade. Picked violet since it's my favorite color, but also because... well, how well do mashup cosplays tend to go over with communities? I ask because I'd love to mashup Star Wars with a video game series, Monster Hunter. In that game, you do as the title suggests. Hunt monsters. Once done, you carve it for parts, go back to town, and use those parts for making new gear. A monster in that game is all black and purple, hence part of the reason I went violet blade. Not likely to get any big fancy armor, but I want to show inspiration from both fandoms.

Currently own only the lightsaber and a black cloak. The cloak I got years ago, at a renaissance faire. I plan to use this in the cosplay. Looking at other Star Wars cosplays, I tend to see mostly robes and an occasional cape. Are cloaks fine for it?

For future parts of the cosplay, I'm unsure if I want to go with a leather (obviously will aim for fake leather) or metal (what appears to be metal anyway, since I'm unsure if actual metal armor would do well at cons) look. The leather look would be more fitting, I think, but both Star Wars and Monster Hunter have metal armors/accessories. I don't plan to go all out on armor. More so traditional Sith look, but black and purple, mixing in cloth and a few armor pieces.

No sketches or anything yet for what my goal look will be, but I have somewhat of an idea.

So right now, after all that ranting... Star Wars mashup with Monster Hunter or any other fandom ok to do?

Sabers:
• Dark Apprentice LE V5 - violet

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 05:46:23 PM »

From what I have seen at DragonCon I don't think there's any real limits on mash-ups. Heck, people mash Deadpool with freakin everything.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 07:44:18 PM »

First off, I've never cosplayed before. Have no skill in creating my own things, so I'm likely buying pieces here and there to create something. Hopefully something original. Posting here, it'll obviously be Star Wars related.

My lightsaber is a Dark Apprentice V5 with violet blade. Picked violet since it's my favorite color, but also because... well, how well do mashup cosplays tend to go over with communities? I ask because I'd love to mashup Star Wars with a video game series, Monster Hunter. In that game, you do as the title suggests. Hunt monsters. Once done, you carve it for parts, go back to town, and use those parts for making new gear. A monster in that game is all black and purple, hence part of the reason I went violet blade. Not likely to get any big fancy armor, but I want to show inspiration from both fandoms.

Currently own only the lightsaber and a black cloak. The cloak I got years ago, at a renaissance faire. I plan to use this in the cosplay. Looking at other Star Wars cosplays, I tend to see mostly robes and an occasional cape. Are cloaks fine for it?

For future parts of the cosplay, I'm unsure if I want to go with a leather (obviously will aim for fake leather) or metal (what appears to be metal anyway, since I'm unsure if actual metal armor would do well at cons) look. The leather look would be more fitting, I think, but both Star Wars and Monster Hunter have metal armors/accessories. I don't plan to go all out on armor. More so traditional Sith look, but black and purple, mixing in cloth and a few armor pieces.

No sketches or anything yet for what my goal look will be, but I have somewhat of an idea.

So right now, after all that ranting... Star Wars mashup with Monster Hunter or any other fandom ok to do?

Got me right in the middle of my Iceborne hype with this post  Grin

I'd personally love to see this.

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 12:27:17 AM »

I don't know much of anything about monster hunter, but it seems like you have a pretty decent idea set out.

also, most people like mashups, and almost nobody will give you grief for it. Main rule of cosplay is you do you and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I look forward to seeing what you make!

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Mangoat
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 12:51:48 AM »

Glad to know mash-ups are fine. Might be a bit before I complete it, but I'll be attending a renaissance faire this month, so might pick up a few pieces.

Deadpool is... special. That character gets away with so much. lol

Got me right in the middle of my Iceborne hype with this post  Grin

I'd personally love to see this.

I've actually never played MHW (Monster Hunter World, for those wondering). The monster I'm thinking of is Gore Magala, which isn't in that game. It's my favorite monster.

Sabers:

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 03:18:30 AM »

What matters most on a costume is how YOU feel about it.
My poor "Therion Jinn" cosplay has been through two full sets of armor pieces and I keep tweaking on the second one as I find flaws and/or better ways to do things

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 01:19:33 PM »

Glad to know mash-ups are fine. Might be a bit before I complete it, but I'll be attending a renaissance faire this month, so might pick up a few pieces.

Deadpool is... special. That character gets away with so much. lol

I've actually never played MHW (Monster Hunter World, for those wondering). The monster I'm thinking of is Gore Magala, which isn't in that game. It's my favorite monster.

Gore is a good one, to be sure. Highly recommend picking up World/Iceborne

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 04:19:36 PM »

What matters most on a costume is how YOU feel about it.
My poor "Therion Jinn" cosplay has been through two full sets of armor pieces and I keep tweaking on the second one as I find flaws and/or better ways to do things
QFT^^

I canNOT agree with TJ more; cosplay is COMPLETELY subjective and, as such, should be whatever gives you the best time (sober, clothed, et al.  Wink).

TJ's own ensemble is a fantastic example.  He's come up with an entirely original cosplay that enriches the SW Sith mythos, looks outstanding, and is entirely home-made^^   I wish that I had that kind of creativity!  And even though my own Gray Jedi robes&tunics are more "standard" I appreciate all manner of cosplay  Smiley  Really, your only limit is your imagination^^

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Mangoat
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 04:37:18 PM »

Thanks for all the support!

I know one major piece for this will be a mask, which I'm unsure which one specifically yet, but know what I want to do to it to make it fit the theme I'm going with.

Gore is a good one, to be sure. Highly recommend picking up World/Iceborne

Honestly, I rather not. MHW is an easier title than MH3U, MH4U, & MHGU, from my understanding of long time MH players I know. Only a few of which got into MHW, but aren't thrilled with it. I'll keep waiting for MH5 as well as the next MH title coming to the Switch.

Sabers:

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 04:56:25 PM »

Thanks for all the support!

I know one major piece for this will be a mask, which I'm unsure which one specifically yet, but know what I want to do to it to make it fit the theme I'm going with.

Honestly, I rather not. MHW is an easier title than MH3U, MH4U, & MHGU, from my understanding of long time MH players I know. Only a few of which got into MHW, but aren't thrilled with it. I'll keep waiting for MH5 as well as the next MH title coming to the Switch.

Heres the thing, Ive played XX i know what the difficulty is normally like. 90% of the changes are Quality of Life so you dont have to take a break to go look something up on wikipedia. Especially with the new DLC, ive played with a lot of veterans that have gotten stonewalkked in a few encounters. Arch-tempered beasts are brutally difficult as well. I really would suggest at least trying it out. If nothing else its damn good having a monster hunter title thats advanced past psp graphics.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: