Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ultrasaber Powers Down During Duels.  (Read 710 times)
LavenderLight
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: September 16, 2019, 02:57:15 PM »

So ive had an ultrasaber for a while now. Maybe 2 years or more. This lightsaber though powers down upon contact and gives the usual "Obsidian" Message upon a medium hit. I have replaced, and Tapped up the batteries tightly. The badderies ever so slightly budge and the whole thing powers off but can be immediately turned back on. I have tapped tightly, Checked wire connections, Replaced batteries, and Tapped even more. The battery pack is warped below on battery from the pressure of holding batteries over the years. Ive even tightly tapped that to hold it in place. Overall. I cant figure out why it keeps Turning off. I have no Warenty and I have no issue repairing it myself. Can someone tell me what it might be and what I can do?
~FlowerDuelist (AKA LavenderLight)

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 03:21:22 PM »

take some pictures of the batteries to see this bulge

and of the battery case so folks can see if there's anything unusual.

what kind of battery and sound setup is this?

LavenderLight
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 03:56:06 PM »

take some pictures of the batteries to see this bulge

and of the battery case so folks can see if there's anything unusual.

what kind of battery and sound setup is this?

Not bulge, "Budge". The batteries are a 4x AAA with Lite Soundboard, Setup. Ill take one with my tape job and a couple without. I just cannot provide pictures at the momment.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 05:37:11 PM »

The two primary causes I've had with this issue were loose batteries and an overly sensitive momentary switch.

The switch issue was a switch that activated on a hard impact and shut the saber off.  That saber became a shelf queen and eventually went to a new home.   :-)

Mostly, though, its loose batteries.   I wrap electrical tape around my batteries to keep them tight every time I install new ones anymore.   Its a pain, but it keeps this from happening so I just do it.   Really makes me want to get a LiIon set up with recharge port next time around, though...   LOL

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 06:26:56 PM »

Ah, the AAA battery pack.

I don't have that, but I've heard of this from here and a few people who have those.

Something about the size, fit and battery holder makes it susceptible to shorting on impact.  The battery looses contact for a moment, powering down the system.

Taping it would have made sense as you've already tried.  that removes 1 axis of movement.

You might try wedging something on the end where the spring is, so the battery can't pull away from the + terminal in a bounce.  Note, I'm thinking of folder paper or something. Small, just to keep the battery from shifting down on the spring.

Otherwise, see what others say over the next few days as they see this thread.

LavenderLight
Force Sensitive

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 12:48:38 PM »

Ah, the AAA battery pack.

I don't have that, but I've heard of this from here and a few people who have those.

Something about the size, fit and battery holder makes it susceptible to shorting on impact.  The battery looses contact for a moment, powering down the system.

Taping it would have made sense as you've already tried.  that removes 1 axis of movement.

You might try wedging something on the end where the spring is, so the battery can't pull away from the + terminal in a bounce.  Note, I'm thinking of folder paper or something. Small, just to keep the battery from shifting down on the spring.

Otherwise, see what others say over the next few days as they see this thread.

How would I place the paper? I've wrapped my tape around 2 Axis. I even wrapped pushing the top of the battery back (opposite of the speaker side) And pulled the tape tight up to the speaker. That was to keep the batteries from pushing on the plastic at he top. They would push it up and cause it to bend it slightly, making it easier for them to slip. And they slip Ever so slightly. And i have it wrapped to the point where i cant even tell how they are slipping. and the Positive teminal is where they are slipping from before, So your dead on. 

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 01:29:16 PM »

I was hoping somebody with this setup would chime in, all I got is thinkies, but not experience.

You could order a new battery pack from US, since it sounds like the original is warped?

Or buy the stuff to switch to LI-ON.  I've not heard of anybody complaining about those (and it's what I got and spar with).

Sorry I'm not much more help

LavenderLight
Force Sensitive

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 05:46:13 PM »

I was hoping somebody with this setup would chime in, all I got is thinkies, but not experience.

You could order a new battery pack from US, since it sounds like the original is warped?

Or buy the stuff to switch to LI-ON.  I've not heard of anybody complaining about those (and it's what I got and spar with).

Sorry I'm not much more help

How would i rewire the lightsaber for the new li-ion battery pack? Also, while investigating the battery pack, the green LED in my saber. (single CS led) Stopped working. Now i have sound but no light.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 02:21:15 PM »

for that, I would search the Technical subgroup and start a new thread titles "How do I swap out AAA battery case for Li-On?"  Basically, you're making a saber from scratch, except half the work is done on yours.

I have NOT done this, so you're getting what I would do, not what I have done (that's why you've got to find those other posts)

After you've pulled out the sound/battery module and removed the batteries:
remove/peel back the eletrical tape leading inside the hilt (to the switch/LED) away from the module
take a picture
detach the wires from the module
detach the wires from the module to the speaker
Now separate the sound module from the battery case (might be glued or hot glue, be careful)
remove the speaker from the battery case housing (I assume this separates)
put the old battery case aside
put the speaker into the new battery case
connect the wires
put batteries into it, but don't slide back into the hilt or rewrap the wires yet.
turn on the saber.
debug any wiring or powerr issues (ex. same problem you have right now, LED's not on)
When that works, rewrap the wires and test power-on again (in case you shorted during the wrap)
Slide the pack into the hilt and put the pommel on
test power again

---
There's a good chance your power issues are at the module, and not up inside the hilt.  But again, all those posts about building your own saber will help advise on that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: