Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Starting out with font creation !  (Read 2417 times)
BlackAgates
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -8

« on: September 24, 2019, 02:06:32 PM »

EDIT:        Ok, so im going to be putting some sound fonts together, specifically for my diamond DI v4, Can the community offer any helpful hints so i dont hit any snags?  Where to start?  I have done some browsing through the Obsidian Order and have read a few thingsd to try to remember, one user said that, to work on the hum first as it will be the backbone of the font, and then save the color mixing part for last.
Mind you, i already have Audacity but i am not familiar with using it for this purpose..
  .. also, i would prefer direction rather than tutorials, although links are very welcome!

Can an obsidian font be used on a Diamond boards?  
Im reluctant to download new fonts because i dont want to run into problems with the wrong setup or anything.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 02:10:16 PM »

As when working with ANY editor, save what you currently have BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANYTHING to a place and name you'll be able to find later... and then save early and save often during the editing session.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

BlackAgates
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 02:35:07 PM »

+++++

exactly well said, thx, i wouldnt want to erase my memory

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 02:49:51 PM »

+++++

exactly well said, thx, i wouldnt want to erase my memory

Can you tell I've had to learn this lesson the hard way?

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 87

Nerd for 3 decades plus and darn proud of it

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 02:09:14 AM »

I recommend using the Express wizard to create a "shell" font with the colors you want, saving that, then going into the Advanced wizard effect by effect to change the sounds and modify the light effects as you see fit.  That's the method I used when I made my hamfisted attempts at assembling Diamond fonts.  I highly recommend saving after each effect once you get it where you want so you can at least only lose the work on the current effect if you get way out of whack and need to start over.  All of that said, have fun and don't be afraid to try things.  I've had a lot of fun poking around the editor and discovering what it can and can't do.  There are very good threads in all of the Obsidian Order subforums that should give you ideas and let you blaze your own path.  Good luck and enjoy!

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 09:50:14 PM »

The hum is the sound you will hear the most. It is also a good idea to mix the hum sound into the background of your swings and clashes. This will make them flow together without a noticeable gap in the sounds. When done right you don't notice the transitions. When done wrong the sound gap is really annoying and noticeable.

Think about what you want to create. Listen to the sounds you want to use and try to pick something for each sound slot. Record more sound then you think you need.  Some sounds just won't work and you will need alternatives.
  Just because someone did it one way, does not mean you have to do it that way too! Cut your own path. It may be, your way of doing things is better and everyone else follows your example.

Dont over complicate things. Make a font for yourself. Something that you like. Everyone else will like it too.  Dont get discouraged.  Not everything makes a good font.
  I really want a South Park font. There are a million sound clips to use from the show, the movie and the games. I however, can not figure out a good hum sound. Until I do, no South Park font. I pounded my head against a wall trying to figure it out and nothing. I had to step away from it. The lack of progress was getting me down. I could use the music from the show opening but that would get super repetitive and annoying.  Maybe the new season will provide me the answer.

Download other people's fonts and look at how they achieved their color mixes. That is the best way to learn how to do blade effects. Look at it on the saber and if you like it, look at how they created it in the editing program.

Most important piece of advice I can give you, never be shy about asking for help here on the forum!

If you hit a road block, send me a P.M. and I'll help you out at any hour! I really like to see other people's fonts! So many creative people on this forum.

Just dont get discouraged, it takes time and there are a lot of steps. Once you have done it a couple times, it becomes very easy to do. The hardest part is coming up with an idea.

YES, you can use an obsidian font to create a diamond save. Obsidian is sound only. Diamond is obsidian sound and mixed colors for the blade.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 12:38:47 AM »

KaiserSosay, -1 point for the technical and emotional advice in the above post.  Well said.

BlackAgates
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 03:35:11 AM »

✅ +++ im sure ill find u r right about the hum ,  thx !

And i agree 100%.  Being as new as i am, im grateful for you,  Cheesy

.. i immediately thought of at least some of the themes from the N64 game🎮, and how much fun it was to be on windows 98 , aol, http://wwwcomedycentral.com to play shockwave games and then there was the soundboardsand wwf maker

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 05:16:24 AM »

.. i immediately thought of at least some of the themes from the N64 game🎮, and how much fun it was to be on windows 98 , aol, http://wwwcomedycentral.com to play shockwave games and then there was the soundboardsand wwf maker

I'll look up the N64 theme. I remember playing the racing game and the Turkey shooting game, but not the music from those games. Thanks for the tip!

I have found gathering sounds for video games to be really quick and helpful. Swings and clash sounds especially.  Editting sound clips for swings sucks. Using Audacity, you can't hear the half second sound clip of a swing. I have to load it on my saber and keep my fingers crossed it sounds ok. Then go back and delete the ones that sound off. That is another reason to make extra recordings.  You really won't know until you try it out on the saber.  It takes a while.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: