Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Where should I start when making fonts?  (Read 3326 times)
JasmineGTea
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -20

An Extremely Calm Sith Lady

« on: September 28, 2019, 02:28:58 PM »

Hello everyone! Jasmine here.
I'm starting this small topic because I do not know where to start actually looking for small noises to turn into Diamond Controller soundfonts. Sometimes I find little effects on YouTube but they are either too long or they are too low quality of a sound. Can anyone help me? I'll take all the help I can get. Hehe.

Sincerely~
JasmineGTea

Lightsabers: Prophecy v3(Diamond Controller) Archon v3.1(Diamond Controller)
Wishlist: Chosen One CE(Diamond), Graflex CE(Diamond)
"Know that there was once a Darth Traya. And that she cast aside that role, was exiled, and found a new purpose. But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."
―Kreia (Darth Traya)

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 03:04:54 PM »

I know there's quite a few sound wizards on the forums, hopefully they'll see this thread and pop some comments or questions to see if they can help you out. You may want to link some of the sounds you found so when/if they contact you, they have some idea of what you're looking to do. Snipping sounds down or stretching can be done with many free sound altering programs. The Obsidian forums can give you some ideas.

I never went into sound tinkering, so I can't help you out.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

ScificommodoreJones
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 29

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 07:26:53 PM »

I'd start with a free program called Audacity the free, open source, cross-platform software for recording and editing sounds. 48000 Hz 16 wav files in mono
so take your sound load and covert to the aforementioned  specs. I'm new at this too so just relaying the information but it'll get you going till one of the more experienced font makers replies I get sound from video clips  online etc so let your imagination fly and good luck

Sabers owned for my granddaughter is The Dark Sentinel   LE V4 Fire orange stunt saber, while I got the Dark Apprentice v5 with light sound and tri Fire orange, the fallen V4, artic blue foc
Wife got Dominix Le V2 blazing red ,Guardian  tri  Adegan Silver
Dark Arbiter FO FOC silver V4 sound

JasmineGTea
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 11:37:00 PM »

I see. Thank you guys. XD I'll try to see if I can find other sounds and stuff.

"Know that there was once a Darth Traya. And that she cast aside that role, was exiled, and found a new purpose. But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."
―Kreia (Darth Traya)

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 01:58:24 AM »

Here is some info.
  Sorry,  I'm too lazy to type it twice! Basically,  you can get sounds from anywhere.  I use a voice recording app on my iPhone to record sounds. Video games, movies, tv shows and even music!
As long as I run everything through Audacity to get it in the right format, it works and sounds fine.
 Just figure out exactly what you want to create.  Then start looking for sounds, everywhere.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=42666.0

JasmineGTea
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 02:08:54 AM »

Yes. I think what I'm looking for though is like. Everything sounds really clear and nice with the normal fonts that come on the board. Then I tried to make my own sounds. I made a few sounds with the correct format and everything but they don't sound clear. I mean they sound clear from where I got them. For example, this sound right here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgyitSlMtMY
(Vader's activation to be exact)

But it doesn't sound as good as the other sith font on the board. I'm trying to, I guess, make a more clear version of the sith font. Make it sound good even in slow motion. Like even when listening to that sound at 0.25x speed. It sounds beautiful. Sorry if I'm being confusing. >.<

―Kreia (Darth Traya)

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 02:45:37 AM »

I watched the video and see what you mean. On that topic all I can suggest is record the saber ignition.  Then with Audacity try to enhance the sound. Highlight the sound clip and click on the effects tab. That is where fade in and fade out are. As well as a bunch of other effects, including enhance if I remember correctly.

I would also suggest downloading all the Vader sound files on the forum. You might find that saber ignition sound has already been made.

Wish I could help more then that!
To be honest, my hearing sucks. I use to operate heavy equipment and I was in the military.  My hearing is wrecked.  I don't really notice the differences between most saber sounds. They mostly sound the same to me. That's probably why I make other types of fonts all the time.

You know what! I'm going to record it. Edit it and post it for you. Then you will have two to compare.  If they sound the same to you,  then it is not something  that you personally are doing wrong. It is just the source audio.

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 03:24:37 AM »

JasmineGTea, you have a file with your name on it,  in the link in my signature bar. 
 One Vader ignition sound ripped directly from the video you linked.  Compare it to the one you made. I have a feeling they will be the same. 
 The problem I see is, in that scene Luke has his saber ignited when Vader ignites his saber. The hum of Luke's saber is playing during Vader's ignition.  They blend together and sound weird.  It would sound better if it was quite when Vader ignites his saber.  I use the Vader saber ignition from the end of Rogue one myself.

JasmineGTea
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 04:26:48 AM »

Now that you mention it. Yes the Rogue One version would be better. XD

―Kreia (Darth Traya)

JasmineGTea
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 04:30:20 AM »

I think I like how the idle sound is deeper on Vader's saber compared to the Sith font. I think that's what I'm trying to make. Also I'm trying to make sure the clashes make a sound but the idle sound doesn't stop. I fount that when I clash, the idle sound has like a half second delay then comes on again. I want it to be like a smooth transition in between everything. I like when I hear that "Kaaahhhhhhhwwww" sound with the Sith Font then the Vader saber idle(without breathing) comes in smoothly as well.

―Kreia (Darth Traya)

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 05:00:51 AM »

So in that situation I would take the Vaber idle (without breathing)  and mix it into the background of the sith clashes.
 Import one of the sith clashes into Audacity. Then you import the idle sound. Clip the idle sound so it is the same length as the clash sound. Then export. When you export the program will ask if it is ok and export the two sounds as one. I have it turned off so it does not ask, it just does it.

If you notice the idle sound is overpowering the clash sound, there is a way to fix that too. You can adjust the level each sound plays at. Turn the clash sound up +1 and the idle down -1.

When you do this, the hum is always playing and you will not notice a gap in sound. I hate the split second of silence.  Once I notice it, that is all I pay attention to. I find it so annoying.

Do the same thing with swings, stabs, spins, force and gestures. Add the idle sound and turn it down -1. Then turn the other sounds up +1.
Everything flows together with no gaps in the idle sound just the hum dipping slightly.

JasmineGTea
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 06:22:11 AM »

Alright I'll do that tomorrow. Thank you so much!!  Smiley

―Kreia (Darth Traya)

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 09:48:51 PM »

Gave both JasmineGTea and KaiserSosay each a -1 point for trying to flesh out these sounds.

Great thinking both of you.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

JasmineGTea
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 05:30:48 AM »

So it's the next day and I actually achieved what I wanted. Took a little digging around and cutting a bunch of audio clips and converting them but it was so worth it. XD Completely re-did the Sith Font into my personal font. It has a Sith holocron from Kotor 2 yelling with lightning. Dark hum and a more clear Sith activation noise that isn't super overpowering over everything.

―Kreia (Darth Traya)

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 09:22:51 PM »

Gave both JasmineGTea and KaiserSosay each a -1 point for trying to flesh out these sounds.

Great thinking both of you.

This was such a great idea, I copied it!

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: