Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Some coupler fun....  (Read 1865 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« on: October 02, 2019, 05:23:40 PM »

Greetings saber fans!

So, I've had this itch to make my saber staff a "triple threat" hilt, with a unified look as a staff, as two separate hilts, but with the primary hilt also being useful for two-handed single-blade wield.   Unfortunately, the excellent quick-disconnect coupler works great for staff-to-jar kai but isn't really good at making either hilt balanced enough for two-handed, long-blade single-hilt work.

So I dug out my trusty adjustable flush coupler that's been sitting on my shelf for a while ... and acquired a little thing called a "Double Female Extension".   Its only .81 inches long, but it is threaded MHS compatible on the interior.  Kind of the opposite of the normal couplers.   With this I can use the coupler as an extension as well on one hilt.

And so the two hilts, side-by-side, are still obviously linked ... but now one is a primary hand and the other an off-hand shoto.

And removing the pommels allows for the saber staff configuration.   Not as neat as the quick-release coupler, but in all honesty I like the look of the flush-mounted vented adjustable coupler better with this hilt anyway.   And, in a pinch, you can still drop one blade and fight with the other with the double-hilt configuration.  :-)

And lit..

Most importantly, though, the primary hilt with the coupler "extension" and Dark War Glaive pommel is superbly balanced with either 36" blade, standard or HG.   :-)  This pair has become a true do-it-all pair of saber hilts!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 08:42:46 PM »

This really is a nice-looking setup.  I especially appreciate the combination of the Initiate and the Aeon to produce a pair of hilts that complement each other with their similarities and their differences.

Well done!!!!!

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 10:04:41 PM »

Greetings saber fans!

So, I've had this itch to make my saber staff a "triple threat" hilt, with a unified look as a staff, as two separate hilts, but with the primary hilt also being useful for two-handed single-blade wield.   Unfortunately, the excellent quick-disconnect coupler works great for staff-to-jar kai but isn't really good at making either hilt balanced enough for two-handed, long-blade single-hilt work.

So I dug out my trusty adjustable flush coupler that's been sitting on my shelf for a while ... and acquired a little thing called a "Double Female Extension".   Its only .81 inches long, but it is threaded MHS compatible on the interior.  Kind of the opposite of the normal couplers.   With this I can use the coupler as an extension as well on one hilt.

And so the two hilts, side-by-side, are still obviously linked ... but now one is a primary hand and the other an off-hand shoto.

And removing the pommels allows for the saber staff configuration.   Not as neat as the quick-release coupler, but in all honesty I like the look of the flush-mounted vented adjustable coupler better with this hilt anyway.   And, in a pinch, you can still drop one blade and fight with the other with the double-hilt configuration.  :-)

And lit..

Most importantly, though, the primary hilt with the coupler "extension" and Dark War Glaive pommel is superbly balanced with either 36" blade, standard or HG.   :-)  This pair has become a true do-it-all pair of saber hilts!
I love this saberstaff, from the color scheme to the clean lines to the beautiful dual AV sabers, Karm.

Alex has himself TWO beautiful "ladies"  Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 10:12:51 PM »

This really is a nice-looking setup.  I especially appreciate the combination of the Initiate and the Aeon to produce a pair of hilts that complement each other with their similarities and their differences.

Well done!!!!!

Actually, Cyclops, these are both Initiate V3s.  The only difference between the base sabers is that the "main" one is DVA, or what they call "Blue Violet Amethyst" now, and the other is straight VA.   I used the coupler and the small adapter to lengthen the main hilt and make it two-hand capable.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 11:10:23 PM »

Actually, Cyclops, these are both Initiate V3s.  The only difference between the base sabers is that the "main" one is DVA, or what they call "Blue Violet Amethyst" now, and the other is straight VA.   I used the coupler and the small adapter to lengthen the main hilt and make it two-hand capable.

Well... DANG, ain't you the creative one!  Thanks for setting me straight; these really do look great.

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 01:42:59 PM »

I'm a big fan of couplers and love your ideas on using them as extensions. They really add to the saber

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »

I've seen other coupler-as-extensions on other sabers.   It shows up on the Archon, for example, as the choke on that saber is male/male so you can replace it with a flush coupler and get a nice window section.  :-)   

Thanks all around!   I am still amazed what a little color can do to make a saber pop!

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 09:58:42 PM »

I've seen other coupler-as-extensions on other sabers.   It shows up on the Archon, for example, as the choke on that saber is male/male so you can replace it with a flush coupler and get a nice window section.  :-)   

Thanks all around!   I am still amazed what a little color can do to make a saber pop!

That extra bit of color is why I'm such a big fan of windowed emitters, and the bigger the total area of the windows, the better (with the designs I've seen so far, anyway), and the greater the extension along the major axis of the saber, the better.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 09:28:08 PM »

That extra bit of color is why I'm such a big fan of windowed emitters, and the bigger the total area of the windows, the better (with the designs I've seen so far, anyway), and the greater the extension along the major axis of the saber, the better.

I have to admit, I am VERY happy with my Initiate V4 with a 4.5" extension on it.   The grenade-grip looks great and it makes the hilt VERY functional for dueling.   :-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: