Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Destruction of the Death Star  (Read 1387 times)
ElvenSkywalker83
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 14

« on: November 06, 2019, 12:30:38 PM »

Recently I've been exposed to the mindset of people actually calling Luke Skywalker a chaotic and psychopathic murderer for destroying the Death Star and over a million lives on it. Granted, there were some good people who didn't deserve to die. A madman named Rezi Soresh had his wife and adult son imprisoned on the Death Star when they tried to escape to the Rebellion, and no doubt there were more people like that. But to call Luke such things when the Death Star just blew up an entire planet and nearly wiped out a culture is way worse than blowing up a Death Star that's holding the galaxy hostage. Not to mention that remaining Alderaanian people who were off world would later be oppressed and sent underground by the Empire so they wouldn't be able to speak out against the Imperial rule.

Luke was not the psycho badguy. He, Han Solo and Ben Kenobi's ghost stopped a superweapon that would've ruled the galaxy with the threat upon every single planet the Empire came in contact with and no one would be able to stop it. It is regrettable that people had to die, but just think about all the children, mothers, fathers and siblings that died on Alderaan. The Death Star HAD to be destroyed.

So what do you think? Do you think Luke is a psychopath for killing over a million people, or do you think the Rebellions' actions are justifiable?

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 02:27:47 PM »

This type of mindset has popped up in the last few years and is showing in the new canon.  Newer stories are showing that many in the Empire were from planets seemingly ignored by the Republic and the Empire was a beacon for them.  A rotten apple is mana from heaven to a starving man so to speak.   While this can lead to interesting stories it does lead to thought such as Luke being a "bad guy".  But is does mirror real world..everyone thinks they are the good guys.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 09:04:45 PM »

In the context of the movies absolutely not - the Death Star was a weapon wielded by a tyrannical, fascistic gov't that blew up planets while the Evil Emperor cackled about his dark plan.

In real-world context this is some real muddy water. We have to consider then the really big weird question: did every every stormtrooper, officer, analyst, technician, food court worker, janitor, personnel manager, cargo pilot, and civilian contractor deserve to die? Obviously probably got some innocents. But then you have to ask did it serve the greater good and does this all fall under "acceptable losses" even though its a staggering level of collateral damage? This of course, will fall under your personal purview of philosophy and ethics.

Most times I have seen that meme however, it is has been that: a meme. Something to have an ironic laugh at, because from the perspective of say your average imperial citizen, Luke is a terrorist indoctrinated into a cult that carried out a large attack on government property with hundreds of thousands of deaths. Because frankly thats what is was....

from a certain point of view.

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 01:43:28 AM »

Someone just really likes to force push the hornet's nest. Wink

Chaotic and psychopathic killer? That's a bit out there for even me. Mass murderer maybe. Because I'm going to say that the average non-military people on the Death Star didn't deserve to die. They were just trying to make a living, support themselves and their families, and generally be on the "not being oppressed by the Empire" end of things. I can't blame them. These people aren't going to sign up for the Stormtrooper Corps or Imperial Navy, but they'll make a living doing their dry cleaning.

Here's the thing, we're really asking two separate questions, "Did the Death Star need to be destroyed?" and "Did everyone on the Death Star need to be killed?"

In war, is the killing of an enemy soldier murder? (My opinion is no, given that both sides signed up to fight for/defend their side, and since the other guy is trying to kill you right back, one could argue for self-defense.) What about innocent civilians? Are there such things? I cannot think of a single non-military occupation that I could not argue would contribute in some way to a war effort. If someone else can, let me know, I'm not saying there aren't any (but I don't think there are), just that I cannot think of one.

Did the Death Star need to be destroyed? Well, if you were on the Rebellion's side, very much yes. If you were on the side, fighting or not, that didn't like the Empire, then yes. If you believed in the law, order, and stability that the Empire represented (and there were places where the Empire's presence made things better, at least until the rebels showed up and started blowing things up), then having a giant super-weapon battle station the size of a moon was a great thing. Ain't nobody gonna make any trouble with that around. At least until it became a target.

Is Luke a psychopath? In my opinion, no. A mass murdering terrorist who hears voices, talks to ghosts and little green men, and subscribes to an ancient mystical quasi-religious order whose motto appears to be "We're the good guys even though every few hundred years or so some of our order splits off and turns evil and eventually seriously messes up the galaxy." (I imagine a sign somewhere in the main Jedi temple: "182 3 0 years since last fallen Jedi" (because Dooku and then Anakin) (<-note: I just made up the 182 number for amusement. I have no idea how long it was before Dooku left that a Jedi saw the Dark and turned).

Did the Death Star need to be destroyed? Depends on which side you were on. But I'm going to say probably, but only because of how blowing up planets can muck up hyperspace lanes.

Were the Rebellion's actions justified? Well, from their point of view, yes. But I think the average worker on the Death Star would have at least liked to have had some warning and a chance to evacuate. Heck, I think most Stormtroopers would have preferred the option of being allowed to leave the Death Star before it was destroyed, even if it meant they became prisoners of the Rebels.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 05:26:07 AM »

Without straying too far into the "no politics" side of things (I'll try and stay withing SW), I think that (like the others have said) it depends on your POV. I definitely don't think Luke is a psychopath, I could understand someone saying he's a mass murderer, but then again, is it murder if it is in war? Like PS said, very muddy water here. I will add this though, one of my favorite lines from the SW movies is when the Empire is formed and Padmé says to Bail, "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause".

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Anakin Generation
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

I and the Father are One.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 12:07:54 AM »

Neither Death Star was destroyed, and there are Death Stars cloaked around many populated Earth planets protecting them.

Do not underestimate the power of the Force. Remember the Cave on Deggobah, as well as the one in the Island Luke was on in the recent movies? Do you remember the crazy visions Rey had when she first touched Luke's Lightsaber?

The fickle fascination with the ephemeral senses is insignificant next to the power of the Force, and the world is a product of the Soul, of which the mind is an attribute of. You must Spiritualize your material senses with the power of the Soul, with the Force.

There are Death Star ruins in Rise of Skywalker, but that is another story.

May the Force be with you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: