Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: First serious spinning training ended with some damage  (Read 3524 times)
Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« on: November 12, 2019, 03:53:51 PM »

My (first) new sabers arrived last week. Had my first serious spinning training this weekend with the sabers. This was the result:
As you can see, ductape won't hold the broken batteryholder in place  Cry Cry
Anyone any ideas?

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 01:35:01 PM »

Took a strip of metal, folded it around the batterypack and welded the ends together.
Seems to work for now.

> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 05:49:16 PM »

Nifty!  Pretty sure that won't work for everyone, but maybe it'll inspire something else that doesn't require access to welding tools.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 07:26:56 PM »

Nice fix there

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 12:03:36 PM »

Thanks of the compliments.

Yes you need a spot welder for this quick fix. But it works for now. Dropped the saber again several times today during some spinning. But it seems to hold.

If anyone knows of a 'no weld'-sullotion, please let me know  Grin

> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 04:10:27 PM »

Thanks of the compliments.

Yes you need a spot welder for this quick fix. But it works for now. Dropped the saber again several times today during some spinning. But it seems to hold.

If anyone knows of a 'no weld'-sullotion, please let me know  Grin

Flex Tape!

Just kidding... unless it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2789

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 04:52:30 PM »

Thank you for the good idea! Points incoming

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 12:51:31 AM »

Zip ties? Pull them as tight as possible and they should ensure the batter contacts are solid. You'd probably need at least two, depending on how thick the ones you use are. I'd probably put another one or two around across them to make sure they don't slide off (and help make sure the battery pack doesn't move to much).

One thing I've found that helps prevent this from happening is stuffing the end of the saber (provided you don't have sound). I usually use paper towels, but cloth, enough tissues, even packing peanuts or the like, would work. It cushions the batter pack when (not "if") I drop the saber and keeps it from sliding around in the handle. I also tend to encase the battery pack in electrical tape to make sure the whole thing stays together even if it does crack or break. It's actually the first thing I do when I get a new stunt saber.

Oh, and I'll be the one to say it, Don't Drop The Saber!!!! (Or if you do drop it, drop it onto a soft surface. Or onto your foot. Then kick it back up into the air and catch it and make it look like you meant to drop it. Yeah, do that, that'll work.  Roll Eyes) (<- note: due to the way the internet works, you may not be able to tell that I'm joking here. So just to be clear, I'm joking here. If a day goes by that I don't drop a saber, or hit the ceiling, it means I didn't pick up a saber that day.)

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 07:52:03 AM »

Zipties, great idea!
Stuffing! Will definitely look into that. Do you stuff the top? I mean the part above the batterypack unto the LED?
Points incoming.

Haven't dropped the saber since the batterypack broke. Somehow I've developed a kind of Force-sensitive skill wich allows me to telekeneticly catch the saber in mid air when it falls down. Helps against blue toes and dented hilts.   Grin (<- due to the way internet works...... I'm not joking  Roll Eyes )

> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 04:10:13 PM »

For stuffing, I took a brand-new kitchen scrubbing sponge (so it would be dry, flexible, and clean) and cut a chunk a little narrower than the ID of the hilt, and a little longer than the gap left between the bottom of the battery pack and the middle of the threaded portion of the hilt.  This allows the flexible, squishy, shock-absorbing sponge to be compressed just a little bit, helping to hold the battery pack snug against the upper innards, and also still have compression room left to absorb shock.  So far, this has worked well for me, and I intend to do it for the rest of the contents of my armory, now that I have more than one saber, thanks to the Halloween Giveaway.

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 07:45:11 PM »

Zipties, great idea!
Stuffing! Will definitely look into that. Do you stuff the top? I mean the part above the battery pack unto the LED?
Points incoming.

Haven't dropped the saber since the battery pack broke. Somehow I've developed a kind of Force-sensitive skill which allows me to telekinetically catch the saber in mid air when it falls down. Helps against blue toes and dented hilts.   Grin (<- due to the way internet works...... I'm not joking  Roll Eyes )

I only stuff the bottom between the battery pack and the pommel of the saber. I don't see why you couldn't put some in the top as well as additional cushioning, but I haven't run into a need for it. Yet. (Also, I honestly didn't think of it  Tongue))

I've had a few blue toes/areas on the top of my feet. I have not managed to actually damage a hilt, beyond a scuff mark here or there in the anodizing.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 09:52:03 PM »

I can't post on how to do something instead of the 4 pack AAA batteries, because it will void any warranty you have. You could look in you tube and with a bit of searching, find what i'm hinting at.

You know, something like in this video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaWSCDGS0UQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaWSCDGS0UQ</a>

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 09:01:32 AM »

If I'll do somee tinkering, I'm thinking about this idea:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=26812.msg399247#msg399247

Anyone expereince with this idea? It's an old threat.....

> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 02:53:32 PM »

If I'll do somee tinkering, I'm thinking about this idea:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=26812.msg399247#msg399247

Anyone expereince with this idea? It's an old threat.....

Never seen this thread. That is quite interesting and I can see in my thoughts how to make the usb connector a hard connection in the hilt so it would stay rigid and you could just port into that with the power bank. Kudos for finding that thread. Have a point.

EDIT: I see most of the cylindrical power banks are 4 + inches long. A Sentinel v4 battery compartment space is 3 7/8 inches to the bottom of the pommel threads, but 1/4 inch of those threads aren't utilized by the pommel, so a max sized power bank that could fit would be 4 1/8 inches long. I'm looking at the Bonai 5000mAh aluminum power bank looks good, since it's 3.9 inches long and only 1.2 inch diameter (US hilts are ~ 1.3 inch diameter). Gotta remember you need some room to fit the usb wires to the switch, because in the hilt there's a ~ 1/8 inch lip at the top of the compartment. Some US hilts don't have that lip, but the Sentinel/Aeon series does.

I'm not personally going to use a power bank. I have many 18650 batteries for my stunt hilts, but the usb connector does look like a viable way to hot connect a battery pack.

P.S.   I see this on a site i'm a member of: "A Screw Terminal Block Connector USB 2.0 A Male Plug to 5 Pin/Way Female Bolt Screw Shield terminals Pluggable Type Adapter Connector"
so I don't have to solder wires to see if the concept will work. Someone (I forget who) made a proto saber design with a battery pack external for cosplay and I think this would be a viable idea.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »

If this is what you mean?

Seems like a very good idea. Something to remember. And yes, I think I really need to measure up the inside of the hilts before I'll order and start tinkering.

> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: