Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Down
Author Topic: The Mandalorian *SPOILERS* Discussion Thread  (Read 55132 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« on: November 13, 2019, 05:39:51 AM »

Alright, I'm tired of not being able to talk about this, so lets get it started. This is your last warning. There will be SPOILERS ahead.

What did you guys think? Anything you really liked or didn't? Any Easter Eggs I may have missed?

I'll start with the Elephant in the room (or more precisely the *Baby* elephant). I've have had a theory for the past few years that Yoda's species possibly comes from Kashyyyk. Why? Well, when talking about the "droid attack on the wookiees", Yoda talk's about having good relations with the wookiees. Not only that, but when he goes into exile, he chooses Degobah, which is a jungle planet. What is Kashyyyk? A jungle planet. Of course we learn in TCW that Degobah is a nexus for the Force, so he may have just chosen it for that reason, but there are many planets like that, so why choose Degobah if he didn't already like that climate? Anyways, I am thinking that might not be the case anymore, but what do you guys think? Any merit to my theory?

And then the only other thing I really really want to mention is in the Mandalorian Sewers (that's what I'm calling it until we have an official name of some sort), when we see in the background a Mando wearing armor of the same color scheme and design as that of Boba Fett. Is it Boba? I don't really think so, but Filoni and Favreau would not stick something like that in there without reason.

Also, in case any of you didn't know this, the little old guy that helps Mandalorian with the Bluurg is an Ughnaught, and the species that was protecting the compound were predominantly Nikto (red and green). 

Is anyone else already loving Greef Carga?

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 03:37:42 PM »

Im really enjoying the more percussive soundtrack. Fits better than the traditional orchesatra I think.

Didnt notice the Fett-esque character, but I've been mulling over if the Mandalorian Smith is supposed to be of Clan Wren due to her Spartan-inspired visor, similar to Sabine's.

I've been really enjoying all the secondary characters, I dont think I actively dislike any character from the pilot except maybe the brute at the beginning. Though even he served his purpose, it was nice seeing that reflection of Obi-Wan's cantina incident through an "ordinary" person.

I Have Spoken  Wink.

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 05:14:48 PM »

Also, in case any of you didn't know this, the little old guy that helps Mandalorian with the Bluurg is an Ughnaught

I believe his name is Kuill. (correct me if I'm wrong)

And then the only other thing I really really want to mention is in the Mandalorian Sewers (that's what I'm calling it until we have an official name of some sort)

I heard someone call it the Mandalorian Enclave which (I think) is from SWTOR

Also, just a little thing I liked, during the blurrg scene after he falls for the second time or so, when he puts his hand on the blurrg's head the thing that popped into my head was, "How to Train Your Blurrg; A Star Wars story."

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 06:04:14 PM »

Kuill is his name and he’s being played by Nick Nolte. He plays a good Ugnaught

I like this series and think that it’ll do good. I like that the Mandos are being explored and having more stories. They chose the right actor to play

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -84

Dark Force points please.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 02:24:45 AM »

Ok so did no one else notice a ship that looked very much like the Shadow Castor when he was coming in to land on the planet to turn in his bounties?

Also that IG bounty hunter was awesome.

Wishlist
Project Replica: Specter w/ Diamond Controller 36" HD Blade
Project Dark Twins: x2 Dark Initiate LE v5 Stunt Tri-AS 24” HD Blade
Project Silver Saber: Lost Grey v4 Obsidian AS w/GB FoC 32" HD Blade

Sent back for upgrade.
Empress v4 Sound Tri-AS 32” HD Blade

Collection
Customized Saber: Dark Mantis Emerald v3 Obsidian 37” V4 Blade (mods in progress)
Practice Saber: Dark Sentinel LE v4 Stunt BR 32”HD Blade

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 11:43:37 AM »

Off the top, the series show what a bad-ass the Mandalorian is with taking down a bunch of thugs and claiming his bounty.  And then there's the Razor Crest, it's a beauty inside and out, quite tough as well since when the giant ice serpent was trying to pull it down, you can see sparks which are occurring because of damage being dealt when it's fighting that serpent to fly away. After, the landing gears retract without issue moving forward

Let's talk about the Mando Bekar steel, as a fellow owner of swords and knifes, I love to know about different steel and although this is a fake metal, it reminds me of Damascus steel

Of course, the swirls in the Beskar steel aren't as dark as Damascus steel swirls but it does give remind me of it. Of course, this is explained in The Clone Wars and Rebels which is pretty neat since they're mixing those elements in this series. A ton of Mandalorians wore Beskar steel as armor, but much of this was eventually co-opted by Darth Maul when his criminal syndicate briefly took over the planet Mandalore. So, when Maul appears in Solo, there’s a very real chance he’s still dealing in Beskar.  Beskar steel is immensely valuable in the Star Wars universe, and the first episode of The Mandalorian already showed it deflecting blaster fire. It was even

When we learn that the Mando is just one of many Mandalorians living in hiding, bringing this scrap of Beskar back to his people is a pretty big deal. The Mandalorian who is in charge of the forge mentions that much of the Beskar was lost in the “great purge,” which probably means the Jedi purge, but also possibly could refer to Darth Maul taking over Mandalore, or something else entirely. I like to see more Mandos in this forge area that they are in and I don't mean by our Mando just walking by them, I want to see them out and about

IG-11 was great, he was funny even though he was trying to be logical about everything and even though our Mando killed him to save that baby of Yoda's species, I think he may come back to life, maybe.  The fight scenes with the Mando and IG-11 against those thugs were nicely choreographed.  It gives you a really good idea how the IG series fight and kill.

Seeing the baby of Yoda's species was a twist that I didn't see at the end but I enjoyed and wanted more after IG-11 was shot in the head by our Mando. 

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 03:20:47 PM »

Anyone else think the Razorcrest looks like the Jaster's Legacy? Cause i immediately thought it was a reference but havent seen it mentioned here?

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 04:27:42 PM »

Anyone else think the Razorcrest looks like the Jaster's Legacy? Cause i immediately thought it was a reference but havent seen it mentioned here?

It does look like a slightly slimmed down version yes.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

lowlead
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -38

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 05:35:51 PM »

I enjoyed Chapter I...

The Mando himself:  Can we all agree that he's pretty much Boba Fett, only 25% different so GL doesn't get royalties?

Carbonite Freezing:  Lots of nitpicking about this around the fandom.  I see it as Vader improvising with a 'crude facility.'  It was intended for Luke on his 'journey to the Emperor,' but was tested on Solo.  Once the word spread throughout the bounty hunter world that it was a viable and tested means of transporting bounties, the freezing practice caught on.  Eventually the tech was perfected and miniaturized to enable shipboard units.

Although...I had issues with the Mando's first bounty character - the blue guy.  His lack of accent and manner of speech was way too contemporary and kinda takes the viewer out of the world.  Also, his easy access to the Mando's gun cabinet was not credible - he could have easily opened the gun storage area accidentally while looking for the toilet, or something.  Unfortunate.

Blurgs:  Okay, fine, but I would have loved a credible reason why they had to use them for the journey...just...some little fact about the terrain or something would have been better.  I like Kuill a lot.

Musical Score: LOTS of opinions on this either way.  It's not necessarily bad, but SO different from what we're accustomed to, that it's almost distracting.  I have to experience more to make a final determination on that one.

Callouts & World Building:  Some would consider all the references to the past films as fan service, others would consider it world building.  I like to see all the nods and easter eggs, as it serves to anchor the viewer to the Star Wars universe - the look, the feel, and everything else in between that makes a futuristic western a STAR WARS western.

So, it's a good start I suppose, but I don't trust Star Wars in the hands of Disney.  Glad to have Filoni & Favreau on the job, but I'll need to see more.

$ .02

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 05:55:27 PM »

I enjoyed Chapter I...

The Mando himself:  Can we all agree that he's pretty much Boba Fett, only 25% different so GL doesn't get royalties?

Carbonite Freezing:  Lots of nitpicking about this around the fandom.  I see it as Vader improvising with a 'crude facility.'  It was intended for Luke on his 'journey to the Emperor,' but was tested on Solo.  Once the word spread throughout the bounty hunter world that it was a viable and tested means of transporting bounties, the freezing practice caught on.  Eventually the tech was perfected and miniaturized to enable shipboard units.

Although...I had issues with the Mando's first bounty character - the blue guy.  His lack of accent and manner of speech was way too contemporary and kinda takes the viewer out of the world.  Also, his easy access to the Mando's gun cabinet was not credible - he could have easily opened the gun storage area accidentally while looking for the toilet, or something.  Unfortunate.

Blurgs:  Okay, fine, but I would have loved a credible reason why they had to use them for the journey...just...some little fact about the terrain or something would have been better.  I like Kuill a lot.

Musical Score: LOTS of opinions on this either way.  It's not necessarily bad, but SO different from what we're accustomed to, that it's almost distracting.  I have to experience more to make a final determination on that one.

Callouts & World Building:  Some would consider all the references to the past films as fan service, others would consider it world building.  I like to see all the nods and easter eggs, as it serves to anchor the viewer to the Star Wars universe - the look, the feel, and everything else in between that makes a futuristic western a STAR WARS western.

So, it's a good start I suppose, but I don't trust Star Wars in the hands of Disney.  Glad to have Filoni & Favreau on the job, but I'll need to see more.

$ .02

Take into account Lucas was on set and provided feedback and consultation

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

lowlead
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -38

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 06:19:22 PM »

Take into account Lucas was on set and provided feedback and consultation

Thank God.  Hopefully it's not too little too late...  I'll give it a good honest chance either way.

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 10:09:53 PM »

Just finished the 2nd episode. Anyone else?

Wishlist

Sent back for upgrade.

Collection
Customized Saber: Dark Mantis Emerald v3 Obsidian 37” V4 Blade (mods in progress)

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 10:12:01 PM »

Really liked episode 1. Episode 2 is just as good, maybe even better, but the pratfalls kind of annoyed me, unless this Mandalorian is lacking some of the combat skills usually attributed to the more combative Mandalorian Clans. Yes, I know he's a foundling and is getting his chops. BUT......................I did like how he had zero compunction about desigtirating Jawas who stole most of his ship. Now you understand why Han parked in the Spaceport.  

Just finished the 2nd episode. Anyone else?

When I woke up this morning, I saw it was released and immediately downloaded it to my phone and watched it while eating breakfast.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 10:21:29 PM »

I personally found the Jawas part to be my favorite of the episode. I have always wanted to see more of them and to see the sand crawler in action.

I think the point of him being weak against the creatures was to show the bad ass potential the Yoda-ling could have in the future.

Wishlist

Sent back for upgrade.

Collection

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 12:03:20 AM »

I really like that they showed us a bit of the Jawa culture. They are their own unique species with their own ideals, and seeing that was fun. I also feel like we got a bit of Ughnaught culture too. But Baby Yoda is awesome. Possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen.

How long do I have to wait before I can set it as my avatar?

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: