Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31   Go Down
Author Topic: The Mandalorian *SPOILERS* Discussion Thread  (Read 54721 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2019, 08:22:04 PM »

It depends for me.  That is just JJ Abrams giving his  buddy a big Star Wars fantasy.  But a Clone going way out in the middle of nowhere to live a peaceful life isn't far fetched nor him having children.  As well, again IMO, the more it ties back the better.  I want those connections because they already shown me they can't much with anything new.
Then the idea was already done in TCW. And according to SWR, weren't Rex, Wolf, and Gregor the only three that retired?

Because... I just don't find the majority of his work...good.  A few gems here and there but overall.....not. 
C'est la vie.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2019, 09:43:37 PM »

Then the idea was already done in TCW. And according to SWR, weren't Rex, Wolf, and Gregor the only three that retired?
C'est la vie.

Yes, it was shown in TCW...which is why that Theory in my head.  I don't think it said specifically they were the only ones...but I never meant retired.  Went Awol, left for dead, etc.  All kinds of differents ways he could have been there.  With Thousands of Clones fighting in Dozens of Systems..there cant have just be one who left the army.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2019, 09:48:38 PM »

Yes, it was shown in TCW...which is why that Theory in my head.  I don't think it said specifically they were the only ones...but I never meant retired.  Went Awol, left for dead, etc.  All kinds of differents ways he could have been there.  With Thousands of Clones fighting in Dozens of Systems..their cant have just be one who left the army.
I guess that could work, but it's kinda phoned in.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2019, 09:51:22 PM »

I guess that could work, but it's kinda phoned in.

For me it would show how Far Reaching the Clone Wars really changed the Galaxy.  But, her Husband may have shown her and its just an interesting part of her character with no connection.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -84

Dark Force points please.

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2019, 05:27:05 AM »

Alright who’s seen episode five? This is your spoiler warning.
Man what a trip down memory lane.

Wishlist
Project Replica: Specter w/ Diamond Controller 36" HD Blade
Project Dark Twins: x2 Dark Initiate LE v5 Stunt Tri-AS 24” HD Blade
Project Silver Saber: Lost Grey v4 Obsidian AS w/GB FoC 32" HD Blade

Sent back for upgrade.
Empress v4 Sound Tri-AS 32” HD Blade

Collection
Customized Saber: Dark Mantis Emerald v3 Obsidian 37” V4 Blade (mods in progress)
Practice Saber: Dark Sentinel LE v4 Stunt BR 32”HD Blade

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2019, 08:40:26 PM »

I dunno. Episode 5 felt kinda weak to me. I didn't dislike it, it just didn't feel like it added a whole lot to the story whatsoever. The ending scene is the only thing that had me at all interested in anything. Still, know Filoni, nothing he does is ever just "filler", so we'll see what happens with it.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 180

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2019, 09:50:55 PM »

I felt like the last two were kind of weak.  Ch. 4 was your typically predictable "Let's teach the locals how to stand up to the bullies" episode that just about every other sci-fi show has done.  It was almost beat for beat like every one of those types of episodes.  This one was again predictable as one of those "I'll help the new guy" episodes.  I still enjoyed them but I hope they don't keep following the same predictable tropes. 

I did enjoy the callbacks to ANH.

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2019, 10:20:13 PM »

Agreed. My brother literally called it a rip off of The Magnificent Seven. Which is definitely true, but I instantly thought of the episodes of TCW rather than Magnificent Seven. Still, a decent episode, but nothing special. I'm hoping these ones are the only ones that are like this, and we don't get a lot of meh episodes.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2019, 09:31:26 PM »

it just didn't feel like it added a whole lot to the story whatsoever.
It didn't.....at least not foreseeable.

For those that aren't terribly versed in the classics, the style of this series is that of a Western. "Mando" or "The Mandalorian" are what others call him, but he literally is The Man{do Tongue} with No Name. He's the lone gunslinger; dark and mysterious. He can't stay put, so he drifts from place to place looking for means to survive. In fact, most of the characters have no names, only generalized character descriptions. 'The Child', 'the Client', etc. I actually respect the simplicity they've employed to tell this story.

What really sells this to me as a Western is the cheesy dialogue. It's over emphasized and sometimes even superfluous. I noticed this most with Greef Karga.

As far as the episode, I was a little disappointed by the phoned in locale, BUT it did make some sense. Considering the history of the franchise, Tatooine always shows up. This may be one tradition faux pas that is killing the sequels: No Tatooine. But back to the show. Given that the bounty had professional ties to the Hutt Cartel, it could stand to reason that she was very familiar with the area, and possibly had places to hole up. I won't discount that Mando just happened to be in that general area by chance.

I wasn't a fan of how the dog fight played out. I know different craft have different specs and abilities, but I thought it was a bit overkill that the Razor Crest is taking hits with minor damage, but then one shot and the enemy goes down like a lady of ill-repute. But what I hated most was the Top Gun ripoff of hitting the brakes. YOU'RE IN SPACE! There are NO brakes. Reverse thrust, yes. But NO BRAKES.

After researching, I was pleased that they didn't blatantly ripoff Owen Lars' swoop design. I'm not opposed to that speeder bike design being favorable for the hot desert terrain of Tatooine. I really enjoyed just cruisin' over the Dune sea.

And then there was the mystery cliffhanger dude. WTF? I hate you all, die in a fire. I MUST KNOW WHO THIS IS, NNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUU. I cannot wait a week, or however long they decide to bring this to fruition.

Sig by For Tyeth

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -84

Dark Force points please.

« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2019, 01:56:23 PM »

I wasn't a fan of how the dog fight played out. I know different craft have different specs and abilities, but I thought it was a bit overkill that the Razor Crest is taking hits with minor damage, but then one shot and the enemy goes down like a lady of ill-repute. But what I hated most was the Top Gun ripoff of hitting the brakes. YOU'RE IN SPACE! There are NO brakes. Reverse thrust, yes. But NO BRAKES.”

I will agree with the taking hits then killing the other guy with one shot but it all comes down to shields. It’s quite possible that the guy chasing him had his shields all toward the front and when caught off guard didn’t get to switch them to the rear. Though I’m just reaching at this point for a possible reason.

As far as the “Top Gun” maneuver. I will have to watch it again but I could have swore when he did that it showed flaps opening on the thrusters to become reverse thrusters.

Wishlist
Project Replica: Specter w/ Diamond Controller 36" HD Blade
Project Dark Twins: x2 Dark Initiate LE v5 Stunt Tri-AS 24” HD Blade
Project Silver Saber: Lost Grey v4 Obsidian AS w/GB FoC 32" HD Blade

Sent back for upgrade.
Empress v4 Sound Tri-AS 32” HD Blade

Collection
Customized Saber: Dark Mantis Emerald v3 Obsidian 37” V4 Blade (mods in progress)
Practice Saber: Dark Sentinel LE v4 Stunt BR 32”HD Blade

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2019, 02:10:15 PM »

As far as the “Top Gun” maneuver. I will have to watch it again but I could have swore when he did that it showed flaps opening on the thrusters to become reverse thrusters.
But what I hated most was the Top Gun ripoff of hitting the brakes. YOU'RE IN SPACE! There are NO brakes. Reverse thrust, yes. But NO BRAKES.

Can confirm, the flaps opening on the engine were meant to mimic modern thrust reversers on big airline engines.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=filq88Yvt5I" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=filq88Yvt5I</a>

It's one of those pieces of tech that looks kinda stupid because its the most basic idea possible; panels move into place to literally just redirect the thrust flow backwards.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2019, 03:02:01 PM »

Hi all,

Using "Vectored Thrust" has been a feature of military air combat for quite a while. During the Falklands conflict Harrier Jump Jet pilots of the RAF used to perform a maneuver known as "VIFFing" or Vectoring In Forward Flight. The Harrier has engine nozzles that pivot approx 100degs from fully aft (giving forward thrust) through to about 10 degrees forward of vertical down for vertical and short take off and landings.

To perform a VIFF the aircraft begins with the nozzles fully aft for forward flight and when needed the pilot moves the nozzle position lever to swing the nozzles to the forward position. This slows the jet like applying the speed brake however the Harrier pilot could also just move the lever to point the nozzles down vertical which made the aircraft "Jump" making any chasing aircraft overshoot underneath allowing the Harrier to drop back down behind the chase plane.

This was way back in 1982 - four years before Top Gun did their "breaking maneuvers". Nice to hear that this trick s being used in a galaxy in the future!!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2019, 03:09:48 PM »

Hi all,

Using "Vectored Thrust" has been a feature of military air combat for quite a while. During the Falklands conflict Harrier Jump Jet pilots of the RAF used to perform a maneuver known as "VIFFing" or Vectoring In Forward Flight. The Harrier has engine nozzles that pivot approx 100degs from fully aft (giving forward thrust) through to about 10 degrees forward of vertical down for vertical and short take off and landings.

To perform a VIFF the aircraft begins with the nozzles fully aft for forward flight and when needed the pilot moves the nozzle position lever to swing the nozzles to the forward position. This slows the jet like applying the speed brake however the Harrier pilot could also just move the lever to point the nozzles down vertical which made the aircraft "Jump" making any chasing aircraft overshoot underneath allowing the Harrier to drop back down behind the chase plane.

This was way back in 1982 - four years before Top Gun did their "breaking maneuvers". Nice to hear that this trick s being used in a galaxy in the future!!

To add to this, thrust vectoring is also used prominently (though not to the same degree as the Harrier) on some modern aircraft such as the Sukhoi SU-57 and F-22A making the capable of "supermanueverability" where the aircraft can continue to perform and orient even while in a stall condition (also called a Post Stall Maneuver)

I intentionally left out the F-35 because its hot trash and i refuse to give it credit. I digress, back to Mando

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2019, 04:26:17 PM »

That scene bugged me, so I rewatched. If I saw it correctly, then I saw what you did. The flaps were venting forward thrust in order to brake. But the bogey's flight mask was spontaneously removed so we could see him scream. <rolls eyes>

AND HOW THE #$%& DID I FORGET ABOUT THE TUSKENS? I thought that was really neat how he just coolly starts negotiation for passage. I particularly loved that it shows them as simply misunderstood and therefore perpetually pissed off because everyone regards them as "mindless animals".

Not so hyped about the retro droids showing up. The pit droids were less objectionable because of their inherent function of maintenance and repair, but also because....well, they're silly.

My reference to Top Gun was merely the line "I'm gonna hit the brakes and let him fly right by." I always took this to mean he was going to drastically cut his thrust, not that the F-14 had brakes.

Sig by For Tyeth

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2019, 04:28:45 PM »

http://
I wasn't a fan of how the dog fight played out. I know different craft have different specs and abilities, but I thought it was a bit overkill that the Razor Crest is taking hits with minor damage, but then one shot and the enemy goes down like a lady of ill-repute. But what I hated most was the Top Gun ripoff of hitting the brakes. YOU'RE IN SPACE! There are NO brakes. Reverse thrust, yes. But NO BRAKES.”

I didn't know about the Top Gun thing, but in the Old canon, Boba Fett used this same move on IG-88 using inertial dampeners (or some other random science jargon) That's what I thought he did, and that would work better than brakes because there's still inertia in space.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: