Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: I have sound but no light?  (Read 1170 times)
SparHawk ByA
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 6

« on: November 13, 2019, 03:07:41 PM »

Ok here is my issue. who knows how but the rechargeable batteries in my saber died. While they are recharging I put some new duracell AA batteries in it. but when I turned on the saber i have sound but no light.  Sad Anyone know why that is? its an Aeon LE V5 with a Diamond controller if that helps.

Sabers so far:
Aeon LE V5 (Diamond Fire Orange)
Initiate V4 w/Windows (Blazing Red)
Dark Initiate LE V4 W/Windows (Emerald Green)
Aeon V4 w/Windows (Obsidian Lite Arctic Blue)
Dominix LE V4 w/Windows (Obsidian Lite Blazing Red)
Remnant (Neopixel)
Frankensaber (Obsidian Lite Guardian Blue)
Baby Frankensaber (Consuler Green)
Crimson Fallen (Obsidian Lite Fire Orange)

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 05:54:06 PM »

Ok here is my issue. who knows how but the rechargeable batteries in my saber died. While they are recharging I put some new duracell AA batteries in it. but when I turned on the saber i have sound but no light.  Sad Anyone know why that is? its an Aeon LE V5 with a Diamond controller if that helps.

Simple... the batteries won't work.  The batteries in the Diamond are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from normal AA batteries, even though they're the same size.  Different voltage (3.7v on the right ones, 1.5v on normal ones), different chemistry (lithium-ion on the right ones, alkaline on the normal ones)... It just won't work.  Hurry up and remove those nasty alkalines from the blessed Diamond controller! 

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 06:04:37 PM »

^This. Any saber that comes with Li-Ions must be used with these. Normal alkalines will not provide enough power and can (although unlikely) damage your saber. Please recharge the Li-Ions ASAP (with a Li-Ion battery charger, not those for Ni-Cd or Ni-MH batteries).

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 06:26:19 PM »

^This. Any saber that comes with Li-Ions must be used with these. Normal alkalines will not provide enough power and can (although unlikely) damage your saber. Please recharge the Li-Ions ASAP (with a Li-Ion battery charger, not those for Ni-Cd or Ni-MH batteries).

^^^ This most definitely!  Trying to recharge lithium ion (Li-Ion) batteries in a charger not designed for them is BAD JUJU.  Remember seeing all those videos where vape pens explode, or where the Samsung phones exploded, or where the hoverboards exploded?  ALL of those explosions were (and are) caused by people doing bad things with lithium-ion cells.  Sometimes it's the manufacturers, and sometimes it's the end-users, but it's still caused by the batteries being treated improperly.

If you don't already have a charger that you KNOW is suitable for the Li-Ion battery chemistry (like, for instance, the charger that came with your Diamond saber, I hope), then get one post-haste.  Either get the one UltraSabers sells (I recommend the slightly more expensive XTAR one), or get a high-quality one from somewhere else, if they can get it to you more quickly.  I personally would stick with the XTAR brand, and even if you don't, you're far better off getting a charger that has a separate charging channel for each cell.

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »

As Cyclops said, the Li-Ion batteries that came with your Diamond saber output 3.7v each, for a total of 7.4v   A pair of AA batteries only output 3v, so you don't have enough juice to run the whole thing.   This is why the Obsidian Lite systems run on quad-AAA set-ups, the AAA batteries hold less juice but 4 of them together are 1.5v x 4 = 6v total.   That's enough to run the sound and LED.

The Li-Ion setups provide a bit more power and more storage, which is good because the Diamond controller uses that much more energy.   :-)

And that voltage difference is why the twin AA batteries don't work.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

SparHawk ByA
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 07:26:14 PM »

thats what I thought the problem was just wasnt sure and needed to ask. i also found out hat the charger for my wifes vape batteries works great on the ones for my saber:)  its all charged up and back to glowing with the power of the force!

thank you for the info. and the help!

Sabers so far:
Remnant (Neopixel)

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 08:05:15 PM »

thats what I thought the problem was just wasnt sure and needed to ask. i also found out hat the charger for my wifes vape batteries works great on the ones for my saber:)  its all charged up and back to glowing with the power of the force!

thank you for the info. and the help!

So, you bought a Diamond saber with no charger, just the batteries?  eek.

Could you share the brand and model of the charger you use for those batteries?

SparHawk ByA
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 12:04:00 PM »

I did get a charger with my saber. the only issue I have with it is its powered with a USB. thats not a big deal really with phone chargers all being USB as well. but my wife does vape and we have a couple chargers around the house. I think I paid $30 for this one. it worked great. charged the batteries up in about 3 hours.  most vape shops cary chargers for the batteries for the vapes they sell and they are usually pretty reasonable. we have a charger that does 2 batteries that I paid $19 for as well.

Sabers so far:
Remnant (Neopixel)

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 04:06:41 PM »

I did get a charger with my saber. the only issue I have with it is its powered with a USB. thats not a big deal really with phone chargers all being USB as well. but my wife does vape and we have a couple chargers around the house. I think I paid $30 for this one. it worked great. charged the batteries up in about 3 hours.  most vape shops cary chargers for the batteries for the vapes they sell and they are usually pretty reasonable. we have a charger that does 2 batteries that I paid $19 for as well.

This looks like the Efest LUSH Q4, and looking at the features it has, I am no longer worried you'll set your house on fire.  Thank you for letting me worry about you.  Congrats to you and your wife for buying what seems to be a high-quality charger with appropriate safety and convenience features built in!

SparHawk ByA
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 06:03:36 PM »

well thank you for checking into it. I bought it at a recommendation from the vape shop. they said it was good and had good safeties. I use it to charge the batteries for my Streamlite flashlite.

Sabers so far:
Remnant (Neopixel)

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 06:48:55 PM »

Good news!

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 08:06:12 PM »

well thank you for checking into it. I bought it at a recommendation from the vape shop. they said it was good and had good safeties. I use it to charge the batteries for my Streamlite flashlite.
Good thinking!  You definitely want to protect that Streamlight flashlight... just like your saber, its walls are thick enough that it would make a nasty boom if the batteries were ill-treated.

And I'm sorry if it sounded like I'm trying to be your parent or something, because I'm not; improper handling of Li-Ion batteries, cheap knock-off batteries, and cheap knock-off chargers are things that get me antsy.

SparHawk ByA
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 11:49:10 AM »

I totally agree especially with all the issues over the past few years over batteries blowing up and everything better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for the concern. and for checking into it. its good to know that you all are just looking out for everyone.

Sabers so far:
Remnant (Neopixel)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: