Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Video Game Spoiler Talk  (Read 5614 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2019, 02:33:54 PM »

So, am part way through new game+ playthrough of God of War (ps4) and found the travel rune to Muselpheim. And can I just say, these time trials are a BITCH!

Please don't misunderstand me. I have had an incredible sense of achievement and victory after (eventually) completing each one (just finished the third one). But during them, they are a complete muthaf**ker. In all the best ways a video game can be. Plus, I've been using the door portals a lot more (to go back to Brok's shop after each one to buy another resurrection stone) and am getting a lot more backstory from Mimir, who is easily one of my favourite video game characters ever. I especially love the way Kratos just refers to him as "head". Hilarious!

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2786

Grey Assassin

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2019, 03:24:51 PM »

What I love about the game is that he's not just all powerful, he's aging and have a child.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2019, 04:22:23 PM »

What I love about the game is that he's not just all powerful, he's aging and have a child.
I don't think the aging part is that much of a factor. Because, he is, you know, a God. I don't think aging affects them in the same way as mortals. However, him having a child again is definitely the most interesting aspect of the story. Gameplay wise, I like that you can't just button mash. You need to be patient sometimes, block, strategise and have good reflexes in order to come out on top in some battles. Obviously, levelling up the armour and weapons helps, but only so much. And some of those annoying ravens always seem to be just out of reach of the axe. But they'll get theirs. i coming for them later in the game. There is no escape!

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »

So, am part way through new game+ playthrough of God of War (ps4) and found the travel rune to Muselpheim. And can I just say, these time trials are a BITCH!

Please don't misunderstand me. I have had an incredible sense of achievement and victory after (eventually) completing each one (just finished the third one). But during them, they are a complete muthaf**ker. In all the best ways a video game can be. Plus, I've been using the door portals a lot more (to go back to Brok's shop after each one to buy another resurrection stone) and am getting a lot more backstory from Mimir, who is easily one of my favourite video game characters ever. I especially love the way Kratos just refers to him as "head". Hilarious!

Even more than Muselpheim I found Nilfheim an utter nightmare...the gas slowly killing you, the traps aren't difficult but trying to collect all the mist fragments possible...of course with the right special attacks fully leveled....And those ravens that fly in a circle....grrrr....

Indeed Mimir is a great companion swinging around next to Kratos butt, when you get him on the boat too he talks a lot, and its worth, if you're getting all those ravens, heading back to Alfheim and the forest to get some more back story and information, the depth of lore is astounding.

The ageing though is interesting, he looks notably older around the eyes - now this may just be graphical improvements but I think the 'Gods' in this series are not necessarily as immortal as one would suspect, I think they are more akin to Marvel Asgardians, extremely long lived but do very slowly age.  There was also an interesting scene in Tyr's vault with an array of Egyptian god artefacts where Mimir mentions Gods of other lands that in a way also adds to this idea or me as it implies Gods in this universe are quite constrained to a certain area as well, so there could be an aspect of Kratos being far from his 'home' that is causing ageing. 

On the whole I think the term God is just applied to beings far more powerful than 'humans' and regular elfves/dwavres etc., e.g. the Jotnar, Vanir and Aesir are all variously classed as 'Gods' despite being from different realms and having somewhat different abilities, in the same way 'Olympians' may just be another 'God' race.

One of the most interesting aspects was the whole 'absent antagonist' aspect with Odin never actually appearing despite being a driving force behind so many events, and so key to the whole situation, it was an interesting choice, and certainly I think it worked well, interested what others thought of that?

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 12:16:34 PM »

Even more than Muselpheim I found Nilfheim an utter nightmare...the gas slowly killing you, the traps aren't difficult but trying to collect all the mist fragments possible...of course with the right special attacks fully leveled....And those ravens that fly in a circle....grrrr....

Indeed Mimir is a great companion swinging around next to Kratos butt, when you get him on the boat too he talks a lot, and its worth, if you're getting all those ravens, heading back to Alfheim and the forest to get some more back story and information, the depth of lore is astounding.

The ageing though is interesting, he looks notably older around the eyes - now this may just be graphical improvements but I think the 'Gods' in this series are not necessarily as immortal as one would suspect, I think they are more akin to Marvel Asgardians, extremely long lived but do very slowly age.  There was also an interesting scene in Tyr's vault with an array of Egyptian god artefacts where Mimir mentions Gods of other lands that in a way also adds to this idea or me as it implies Gods in this universe are quite constrained to a certain area as well, so there could be an aspect of Kratos being far from his 'home' that is causing ageing. 

On the whole I think the term God is just applied to beings far more powerful than 'humans' and regular elfves/dwavres etc., e.g. the Jotnar, Vanir and Aesir are all variously classed as 'Gods' despite being from different realms and having somewhat different abilities, in the same way 'Olympians' may just be another 'God' race.

One of the most interesting aspects was the whole 'absent antagonist' aspect with Odin never actually appearing despite being a driving force behind so many events, and so key to the whole situation, it was an interesting choice, and certainly I think it worked well, interested what others thought of that?
I had to hold off reading your comment until I had played a little further into the game. When I first play a game I end up not doing all of the side quest missions as I'm engaged in the main story. It's usually on my second or third playthrough that I will try and get 100% (or close to it) by finding all the hidden treasure and completing all the side-quests. When i read your comment had to do with Nilfheim (an area I hadn't explored yet) I had to stop reading. However, I have now visited the area and see what you mean about the poison fog. Plus, it does get a bit monotonous constantly in and out of the fog trying to earn enough mist points to open the realm tears and chests in the inner sanctum. I haven't completed that yet, so not sure what devious evil entities I will have to fight, but am looking forward to it. Only just got to the 6th challenge on Musphelheim but will have to come back later to defeat the Valkyrie there.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2019, 02:52:54 PM »

I'm the same way with action and adventure games. With Final Fantasy 14 or Assassin's Creed, I will play the story and the side stories and quest until I complete those and will then move onto the next chapter in the main story. The wife will rush through the story line and will come back and play the side quest and stories.

To me, it's part of the main story when you're playing every else in between the main story.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2019, 02:57:33 PM »

I'm the same way with action and adventure games. With Final Fantasy 14 or Assassin's Creed, I will play the story and the side stories and quest until I complete those and will then move onto the next chapter in the main story. The wife will rush through the story line and will come back and play the side quest and stories.

To me, it's part of the main story when you're playing every else in between the main story.

Currently having the same struggle in Outer Worlds

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2019, 10:21:59 PM »

Don't misunderstand. I'm not saying I don't do any side quests on my first playthrough. I do. But I find myself wanting to get back to the main story. Typically any game I play will be about 60-65% complete. So plenty for me left to explore and continue during second playthrough. I view side quests like extra features on a bluray. An added bonus that I enjoy that enhance my overall experience.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2019, 10:44:54 PM »

Currently having the same struggle in Outer Worlds

I don't see it as a struggle though but a longer movie/story
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 03:38:53 PM by Infinit01 » Logged

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2019, 01:08:14 AM »

he ageing though is interesting, he looks notably older around the eyes - now this may just be graphical improvements but I think the 'Gods' in this series are not necessarily as immortal as one would suspect, I think they are more akin to Marvel Asgardians, extremely long lived but do very slowly age.  There was also an interesting scene in Tyr's vault with an array of Egyptian god artefacts where Mimir mentions Gods of other lands that in a way also adds to this idea or me as it implies Gods in this universe are quite constrained to a certain area as well, so there could be an aspect of Kratos being far from his 'home' that is causing ageing. 

[/quote]Tyr's vault has Egyptian and Mayan artifacts. Also, when Kratos kills Baldur, he does say the cycle must be broken. After all Zeus killed his father who was a Titan and a God. And Kratos killed his father. This leads me to believe that there is a constant cycle of birth, death and rebirth of Gods. Not the same Gods as before, but creation obviously seems to require Gods of some sort in order maintain balance maybe? Baldur dying signals the beginning of Ragnarok, so I have no doubt we will see both Thor and Odin in future games. Maybe this will be a new trilogy and they will bring in Gods from other "realms", hence the Egyptian and Mayan easter eggs.

After all the more building and mythologising of Thor as a bloodthirsty sociopathic ballbag and Odin being a paranoid control freak, I hope when we see them it is worth the wait.

In regards to the term "God", obviously it does means more powerful than a human and, barring a fight going badly, they could live forever. I think the essence and energy released when the Gods die goes out into the ether and is eventually responsible for the creation of new Gods. Worship may play a part of the rebirth. But as we have never really spent any time with humans in these games, we may never know for sure. it's only because of your question that I pondered any of this. Normally, I'm just happy going with the story and mythology the game studio wants to tell without going down the rabbit hole.

Back to the actual game.....
My second playthrough is slowly coming to an end. Almost got a 100% in most realms. Just got the Niflheim Valkyrie left to kill before confronting the Queen. Still having trouble getting the anchor of fog to seal the realm tears in Niflheim too. Apparently the first step is killing the Valkyrie, so let's see what happens when I get there. Other than that, I've only got 3 more ravens to find/smash and a couple hidden chests to discover. Otherwise, I'm pretty much done (I think).

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2019, 03:06:57 AM »

Tyr's vault has Egyptian and Mayan artifacts. Also, when Kratos kills Baldur, he does say the cycle must be broken. After all Zeus killed his father who was a Titan and a God. And Kratos killed his father. This leads me to believe that there is a constant cycle of birth, death and rebirth of Gods. Not the same Gods as before, but creation obviously seems to require Gods of some sort in order maintain balance maybe? Baldur dying signals the beginning of Ragnarok, so I have no doubt we will see both Thor and Odin in future games. Maybe this will be a new trilogy and they will bring in Gods from other "realms", hence the Egyptian and Mayan easter eggs.

After all the more building and mythologising of Thor as a bloodthirsty sociopathic ballbag and Odin being a paranoid control freak, I hope when we see them it is worth the wait.

In regards to the term "God", obviously it does means more powerful than a human and, barring a fight going badly, they could live forever. I think the essence and energy released when the Gods die goes out into the ether and is eventually responsible for the creation of new Gods. Worship may play a part of the rebirth. But as we have never really spent any time with humans in these games, we may never know for sure. it's only because of your question that I pondered any of this. Normally, I'm just happy going with the story and mythology the game studio wants to tell without going down the rabbit hole.

Back to the actual game.....
My second playthrough is slowly coming to an end. Almost got a 100% in most realms. Just got the Niflheim Valkyrie left to kill before confronting the Queen. Still having trouble getting the anchor of fog to seal the realm tears in Niflheim too. Apparently the first step is killing the Valkyrie, so let's see what happens when I get there. Other than that, I've only got 3 more ravens to find/smash and a couple hidden chests to discover. Otherwise, I'm pretty much done (I think).

Interesting When i play through games I go for 100% completion first time round, and do all side quests.  what i tend to do is 'park' the main quest at a point and do all sides i can so that i can level up get better gear etc. which makes the main story smoother in God of War I did all side quests i could before next main quest (i think by the time yo go to the vault I had done the majority including Nilfheim) made it a lot easier in later fights as i was used to. Each to their own though, I get wanting to plunge right in, but also don't often have time to replay a game anymore like i Did with Mass effect in college.

I'll admit with Nilfheim the grind got too much and I switched to Easy to plow through a few runs to collect enough fog and get the special fog bits in the gold chests, I think that is the only section of the game I found poorly designed, the concept was good overall but the grind factor should be lower, perhaps a third of the cost for opening those portals would've been fairer, taken 4-5 runs instead of over ten.

I think you're spot on the rebrith and change of gods, even Ragnarok in Norse mythology didn't end with oblivion, just a new start, it was the death of the old God's, arguably Kratos did that in Greece, perhaps he remains the catalyst of the death of God's of that era...would be cool to see an even more aged Kratos in Egypt....perhaps looking to bury his memories once more after Ragnarok....

Good luck with the Valkyries, they are tough as nails, but if you've got a solid combo with special attacks and some regenerative armour should be fine once you learnt heir attacks.

But yeah I eagerly await seeing Thor and Odin in the sequel, I suspect strongly they will be slightly different to what they have been described as, which is as it should be most of what we know comes from Mimir and he is not an unbiased narrator. Indeed having some of what Mimir has said be false or skewed, especially re their motivations, perhaps what happened with Odin re Tyr/Freya especially, would make things all that more interesting and keep with the tone set with Freya in the first game starting as woods witch and gradually you discover the truth about her is not all it seems.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: