Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Fallen Order Shows Where Starkiller Base Came From  (Read 4710 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 01:15:28 PM »

In TCW, padawans were sent to Ilum to gather saber crystals, it was rumored to be Starkiller base when episode 7 came out and directors said that it was true. Glad to see it in actual fruition

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 05:06:26 PM »

True SKB is a little more extreme, however if the Death Star was made out of materials that are capable of withstanding gravitational forces without buckling (which it would need to otherwise the Station would implode) then I'd say its fair they reinforce much of the internal structure of SKB in a similar manner.
How do you figure that?

Mind you not saying the whole planet, but the heat given off from the industrial sections of the base could be the difference between a -50 degree frozen wasteland and a 15 degree Tundra. Either explanation i find satisfying though, I just usually find the more fantastic elements captivating.
I'm not buying that all the machinery would affect the climate.

According to Wookiepedia..they did hit magma. 

The Empire quickly began strip-mining Ilum, revealing magma bubbling from Ilum's core.[10] The entrance to the Jedi Temple had been destroyed to allow access to the crystal caves.[2] A massive mining ship, as well as two Imperial Star Destroyers, stood watch over the planet to gain its riches.[10] The Empire used geothermal energy from the planet's core to power their machinery and control the internal temperature of their industrial operations. Harmful byproducts were created as a result, causing destruction to Ilum's pristine ecosystem.[11]
So.....if the byproducts destroyed the ecosystem, HOW are there still trees?

Kind of answers everything except for the gravity, which can be explained by super-materials holding everything in place like I earlier suggested
Kinda still doesn't. Planet's surface?

But weren't the Ilum Kyber crystals the most powerful compared to the other types, which made them the ideal component for lightsabers? I thought so....but I could be wrong. After all the canon changes, it's still difficult to get it right Cheesy
No. You are thinking of Adegan crystals. Illum crystals were merely plentiful.

In current canon there is no "stronger" or "weaker" when it comes to crystals.  Its more about its connection to the wielder
Must......resist.......commenting......<grits teeth>

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 05:33:12 PM »

How do you figure that?
I'm not buying that all the machinery would affect the climate.
So.....if the byproducts destroyed the ecosystem, HOW are there still trees?
Kinda still doesn't. Planet's surface?

GAH! I wrote a really good response that went over metal stressing and gravitational forces and all that and my browser crashed!

Try 2....

Ill make this shorter since Opera is being cranky. Point one was if the the materials that constructed the Death Star can handle the physical stress of the size of the station, the stress of the station moving both in and out of hyperspace as well as around deep gravity wells such as Yavin AND can handle the heat of turbolasers, shields, power core, super laser, etc. then SKB's materials could withstand incomprehensible amounts of stress as well, especially considering that SKB was built over a longer time frame than TDS.

As for the enviornment, its possible that an ecosystem that can already survive Ilum's harsh climate could bounce back after an Imperial-induced disaster. Life is certainly resilient (Jurassic park Quote here) and I can see plants like trees creeping back into the envionment after the over thirty years of its construction. Also was conceding that its likely the plant life is simply from a different biome within Ilum's biosphere rather than being created by accidentally terraforming that atmosphere to be warmer.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 06:42:43 PM »

GAH! I wrote a really good response that went over metal stressing and gravitational forces and all that and my browser crashed!
Not sure whether to point and laugh or sympathize.

Ill make this shorter since Opera is being cranky. Point one was if the the materials that constructed the Death Star can handle the physical stress of the size of the station, the stress of the station moving both in and out of hyperspace as well as around deep gravity wells such as Yavin AND can handle the heat of turbolasers, shields, power core, super laser, etc. then SKB's materials could withstand incomprehensible amounts of stress as well, especially considering that SKB was built over a longer time frame than TDS.
Why? The DS doesn't need super materials. Only to be constructed in a way that supports its mass. And SKB (dumb thought it is) has a PLANET to sit everything on. The dumber question (yet most important) isn't how it supports its mass when moving, but HOW TF DO YOU MOVE A PLANET? Also, when parking your DS, you don't get close enough to gravity wells that your orbit deteriorates.

As for the enviornment, its possible that an ecosystem that can already survive Ilum's harsh climate could bounce back after an Imperial-induced disaster. Life is certainly resilient (Jurassic park Quote here) and I can see plants like trees creeping back into the envionment after the over thirty years of its construction. Also was conceding that its likely the plant life is simply from a different biome within Ilum's biosphere rather than being created by accidentally terraforming that atmosphere to be warmer.
Sorry bud, still not biting. I think of massive industrial catastrophe and one thing comes to mind: Chernobyl. Everything in that area is deader than dead can dead. It'll probably be another century or 2 before even the cockroaches move back in. Unless the trees that we see in TFA are already dead....but by that extent, it would mean that the area is still contaminated and now everyone is going to get brain cancer and die.

Explaining it is a bit of a moot point since I've always thought SKB was one of the dumbest things to ever come out of Star Wars. It made Jar Jar look like a good idea.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

ElvenSkywalker83
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 14

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2019, 07:57:48 PM »

It's pretty interesting, and considering Ahsoka wasn't able to get new crystals in her novel because of the extent of the damage the Empire caused on Ilum, I wouldn't put it past Sidious to want to make a planet into an updated Death Star in the near future. It does bug me however, that this huge project was never noticed by Ahsoka, or Cal, or even Luke for that matter. Surely Luke would have found out about Ilum after ROTJ and would have gone to investigate what the Empire had been doing to the sanctuary out of curiosity to see how the Jedi of old got their crystals since Luke was stuck having to make his crystal from scratch.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 09:35:32 PM »

It's pretty interesting, and considering Ahsoka wasn't able to get new crystals in her novel because of the extent of the damage the Empire caused on Ilum, I wouldn't put it past Sidious to want to make a planet into an updated Death Star in the near future. It does bug me however, that this huge project was never noticed by Ahsoka, or Cal, or even Luke for that matter. Surely Luke would have found out about Ilum after ROTJ and would have gone to investigate what the Empire had been doing to the sanctuary out of curiosity to see how the Jedi of old got their crystals since Luke was stuck having to make his crystal from scratch.
Let me remind you about a little project of the CIS known as the Malevolence.

Also, not sure if Disney regime followed the Orignal Canon in that the Empire made possession of a lightsaber illegal, as well as nationalized all known sources of crystals. That is why, OC, Luke's green crystal was synthetic. He just took the time to infuse it with color.

Sig by For Tyeth

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 09:49:18 PM »

Also, not sure if Disney regime followed the Orignal Canon in that the Empire made possession of a lightsaber illegal, as well as nationalized all known sources of crystals. That is why, OC, Luke's green crystal was synthetic. He just took the time to infuse it with color.

Still the case. Lightsabers were outlawed, and the Empire acquired most if not all sources of natural Kyber so as to prevent it from getting into common folks' hands for the most part.

ElvenSkywalker83
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 14

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 02:10:54 PM »

Yeah, but we're talking nearly fifty years of this project, if Ilum is indeed SKB. But I guess there ain't much logic in Disney Canon these days XD. Probably why Ilum hasn't been confirmed to be SKB, as far as I know anyways.

I read Luke actually had to make the crystal the way Darth Sidious made synthetic crystals. Luke's saber would've turned red, but he used his Light while making it, so the color turned into a curious green rather than the blue Luke expected.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2019, 04:41:06 PM »

Yeah, but we're talking nearly fifty years of this project, if Ilum is indeed SKB. But I guess there ain't much logic in Disney Canon these days XD. Probably why Ilum hasn't been confirmed to be SKB, as far as I know anyways.
I thought that's what this whole thread was about; that SKB is confirmed to be Ilum. The OP showed a still from Fallen Order depicting the initial stages of the terraforming process to create SKB.

The Empire started it and FO finished it.

I read Luke actually had to make the crystal the way Darth Sidious made synthetic crystals. Luke's saber would've turned red, but he used his Light while making it, so the color turned into a curious green rather than the blue Luke expected.
Huh?

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: