Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Rey Is Not An Accurate Star Wars Character  (Read 6253 times)
PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 09:50:57 PM »

It was simple weak and detestable story telling that she gleaned ANYTHING from Kyle's failed probe. She has 0 skill, and 0 experience with the Force. So how the hell is she supposed to resist someone who does, steal his learnin', and then instantly put it to use?

Gonna log this one away (for now) as the incomplete arc. We really dont know who Rey is yet. If the Palpatine theory turns out to be true, being the psuedochild of one of the galaxies' greatest Sith might have that effect. But for now, I'm not satisfied saying either way.

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 11:40:47 PM »

Alright, I'm still at work, but Logos response time.

Yay! Debate.

Yes.
I think the point being made is that the Dark Side is a means to easy power. Sith training is no easy feat, but the lure to power is. And as depicted in lightly in the prequels, Anakin has always had a draw to power and control.

I'm going to go with the Dark side has more "cool" powers. Like Force Lightning. "Ooooh, the Dark Side has better powers, I'm going to go join them." That, I think, was one of Palpatine's biggest temptations to Anakin. "Can one learn this power?" "Not from the jedi."

Luke still had more training. Plus he actually did make his own saber.
Yes.

"Understatement of the millennium." But despite Kyle's shellty fight choreography, he still has more combat experience. And even if Luke wasn't that great of a combat instructor, we don't know what further combat training Emo got from Snoke. I'm fairly certain that swinging a staff around in a feral manner doesn't count as "martial weapons experience".

Her staff combat skills are better than her lightsaber skills, and I'm not sure I would qualify them as "feral" (my lightsaber skills are better than what they show of her in the movies, but that's besides the point). Beyond the movies, do we actually know the extent of her combat experience (I don't know the answer to this, I'm asking)? My guess, based on what we see of her life, is that she's had a rough time of it and has had to fight to survive. Kylo, I think, may have more combat training, but much less combat experience, mostly because I don't think anyone he may have faced would have been any kind of challenge for him. While Rey's fights were probably life or death for her, Kylo's were mostly "I have the Force and a lightsaber, and it doesn't really matter what you have, I win." In that sense, you could say that Kylo has never really been tested as far as combat goes, and when he was.... well, he lost to Rey. One interesting thing, and it was probably only a choreography thing, but her skills with the lightsaber were better in TFA than they were in TLJ, especially when she was flailing around with it and accidentally cut the rock in half.

Correct. When Revan came back "to the light" there were many in the Republic that still feared him. The Jedi Council also highly disapproved of his marriage to Bastilla, but no one had the stones to confront him.

No one would confront them because the Force needed Satele to eventually be born.  Roll Eyes

Or because Girl Power.

Or because Girl Power AND she's not absolutely terrible. I'm perfectly willing to admit that just because I can come up with reasonable explanations for her doesn't mean that she isn't just KK wishing she were a jedi.

A "nobody" accepts that they have no place. With this contradiction, she denies that she truly believes she is nobody. So being told even further that she is nothing in universe and unwanted should have an emotional impact. NTM having assholes talk trash about your parents always cuts a little.

Just because she think's she's a nobody doesn't mean she wants to be one. That's why she's trying to find her place, because she thinks that when she does, she'll finally be someone. But she hasn't found where she belongs yet. She thought she would with Luke, but he told her to sod off. So she's still looking. Besides, if she was as "unwanted" as all that, why does Kylo keep trying to recruit her?

Luke struggled to lift a droid, a crate, and balance a stone after weeks of training. But then li'l Rey Rey lift (literally) TONS of boulders like it's nothing with her Girl Power.
The pillar thing wasn't solid or stone, but was already falling. This meant that he wasn't just picking it up, he also had to arrest its falling momentum. An object of that size isn't going to stop on a dime. But even referring to plucking the X-wing out of the muck, Yoda had centuries of training and mastery of his abilities, and it took focus for him to make lifting a ship look easy. Rey is easily moving far more weight than an X-wing, and doing it with ease AND control. It would have been far more believable had she flung them recklessly aside in order to clear the cave entrance. But no. We have to see how much more awesomely powerful she is than all the boys are.

Pretty sure she used the Force, which she already thought was meant to be used for lifting rocks. I'm going to go back and re-watch it, but I'm not convinced that there were that many heavy rocks. From my memory, it was more quantity of the rocks, not quality (weight) of the rocks. We don't actually see how much effort it took her to move them, only her happy look of proving Luke wrong about the Force being used to move rocks (yeah, I guess Finnigan too, but whatever). I'm also not convinced that those rocks weighted more than an X-Wing.

FANBOY SQUEEE FOR GALEN MAREK!!!!

I'm never going to not hate galen marek, and you're never going to not love him. We're never going to change the other's mind. Let's move on. You know what, fine. You take galen, I'm taking Vaylin. This should be a good fight.

You're mistaken on this point. If she were truly separated from attachment, she wouldn't have any friends. But worse yet, she does all this with no training. She just does it like it's something to do. One doesn't grow up in the environment she did and turn out an upstanding person that just wants to help people and make friends and do the right thing. Her caretaker was a POS, her family abandon her, and life was dog-eat-dog. Even the great Anakin had a sore spot when it came to dealing with slavers, due to his past; and he was fully trained. Rey should be preoccupied with what is best for her and her own interests. The First Order isn't her fight, the bowling ball would have fed her well for at least a month....in fact screw that mess. "I have a messed up past and badass Force powers. Guess who's in charge NOW, Unkar Plutt."

I'm pretty sure the jedi definition of no attachments still allows friends. It just requires that you know when to let go of the friendship if needed. Like Obi-Wan did with Anakin.

And people do grow up in environments like hers, become upstanding people, rise above what they were given, and want to help others, especially help others who were once like they were. It happens in our world. Sure, those kind of people are 1 in 500,000, if that frequent, but they do exist. There are people who grew up in gang neighborhoods with a single parent working three jobs just to make ends meet, who rarely had enough food, dropped out of school, and more or less raised themselves. Yes, the very large majority of them don't make it out of the slums, the projects, the ghettos. But there are some who do, who want to be better, who want to make a difference and do the right thing. It is certainly not outside the realm of possibility that she would be that kind of person.

Actually, the undertones of the Emperor's methods (at least with Luke) was "You are about to completely alone. I can teach how to channel that rage into an unstoppable weapon and give you purpose." Vader's tried to persuade him through "Join me. It is the ONLY way you can save your friends."

"Join me, and we will rule the galaxy as father and son." - No mention of friends.
 "If you will not turn to the Dark side, perhaps she will." - If I cannot get you, I'll get other family members (although I don't think he had figured out just who Luke's sister was, otherwise he might not thought she'd join him. Or, more likely, he was just baiting Luke.).

Moving on:

My problem with this mentality is this. Kyle was trained with a standard saber (1 blade). Then he @#$&s up his crystal utilizing a dumbass Disney technique, and now requires vents to prevent his saber from exploding. I'm dubious that he would learn an entirely different fighting style just because his weapon is messed up.

Also...

All of these are Terran design. All have symmetric double edges for cutting/slashing and tapered points for stabbing. But you can hardly say that their respective fighting styles are similar. This kinda debunks that humans in a galaxy far far away are going to have similar fighting styles just because they have identical physiology.

Um, you just said that Kylo wouldn't learn a new way of fighting with his lightsaber because the weapon had changed, and then pointed out that different swords utilize different techniques.... I think Kylo would have to at least modify his fighting style somewhat, given the differences between a standard lightsaber and the crossguard version.

Saber Combat -
Look, there's a finite number of ways to use a sword, a finite number of ways to cut, stab, slice, slash, or impale your opponent.

However, there are at least two times, that I can think of that techniques were used that don't really have real world counterparts (oddly enough, they both involve removing hands), cuts that you could only really do with the omnidirectional blade of a lightsaber.
The first is when Vader takes Luke's hand off. He parries Luke's blade out of position, but cuts up from underneath to actually remove the hand. It's actually odd because Vader brings his saber down in order to bring it back up to cut off Luke's hand, instead of just cutting down from the end of the parry. If Luke had been trained more fully or had more experience, Vader's move would have actually given him time to move his hand out of the way, preventing it from being severed.

The second is when Anakin takes off Dooku's hands. He grabs Dooku's hands, locks them in place, then loops his saber under Dooku's hands and comes up to take them off. In looking at it, Anakin had A LOT of options once he grabbed Dooku's hands, including decapitation, amputation, running him through most of his vital organs, including his brain, bisecting him from skull to groin, and probably a hundred others. Instead he used a cut that could pretty much only be done with a lightsaber. Or at least one that's only practical with a lightsaber. Yes, in theory it could be done with a normal sword, but it would have been much more likely to just cut the arms, rather than amputate. Although I think if Dooku had reversed his grip fast enough, he could have at least cut Anakin's legs.

It's REALLY difficult to come up with a completely original and still viable combat style. Most of what we have now evolved over hundreds of years of battles, and even then are a blending of other styles and methods that came before them. I think the codification of the different lightsaber combat Forms is the closest you're going to get to creating original lightsaber combat styles. And if Disney had followed the EU, we would have got to see Luke's new jedi academy develop new lightsaber techniques to replace the loss of knowledge of the seven forms.

One other note on combat in general, it's (obviously) best to learn as many different types/styles/methods/techniques as possible. Even if they aren't ones that work for you, or that you'll use, you can still recognize them if your opponent uses them, and know how to deal with them. In Star Wars specific terms, this is an excellent reason for the Sith to study and learn the jedi lightsaber combat forms. I also get the impression that a decent amount of Sith combat techniques were lost with the rest of the Sith after the final battle of Ruusan (especially with the death of Kas'im).

More on lightsaber combat can be found here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=2131.0

and here: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Lightsaber_combat/Legends

Oh yeah, we were talking about Rey...

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 06:37:04 PM »

I'm going to go with the Dark side has more "cool" powers. Like Force Lightning. "Ooooh, the Dark Side has better powers, I'm going to go join them." That, I think, was one of Palpatine's biggest temptations to Anakin. "Can one learn this power?" "Not from the jedi."
I guess there is some truth in this, but I view it more in the sense of "The Sith (not dark side) do not put restrictions on knowledge or it's applications." In my personal view of the Sith, knowledge is the ULTIMATE power. Knowing how to manipulate the Force results in "many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

Her staff combat skills are better than her lightsaber skills, and I'm not sure I would qualify them as "feral" (my lightsaber skills are better than what they show of her in the movies, but that's besides the point). Beyond the movies, do we actually know the extent of her combat experience (I don't know the answer to this, I'm asking)? My guess, based on what we see of her life, is that she's had a rough time of it and has had to fight to survive. Kylo, I think, may have more combat training, but much less combat experience, mostly because I don't think anyone he may have faced would have been any kind of challenge for him. While Rey's fights were probably life or death for her, Kylo's were mostly "I have the Force and a lightsaber, and it doesn't really matter what you have, I win." In that sense, you could say that Kylo has never really been tested as far as combat goes, and when he was.... well, he lost to Rey. One interesting thing, and it was probably only a choreography thing, but her skills with the lightsaber were better in TFA than they were in TLJ, especially when she was flailing around with it and accidentally cut the rock in half.
A staff is not terribly difficult to wield, and although she may have made an acquaintance growing up that taught her, I see nothing in TFA to suggest ANY kind of training or skill. Thus...'feral'. True, Kyle is a whiny emo brat, but that doesn't automatically discount the possibilities of him actually knowing how to handle himself in a real fight. Unlikely, but possible.

No one would confront them because the Force needed Satele to eventually be born.  Roll Eyes
Always questioned how a married woman passed down her family name. Unless it's some strange atypical custom.

Or because Girl Power AND she's not absolutely terrible. I'm perfectly willing to admit that just because I can come up with reasonable explanations for her doesn't mean that she isn't just KK wishing she were a jedi.
Nah. Beyond Daisy being cute, the character really is terrible. I could probably find better characters in a 10yo's fan fic.

Just because she think's she's a nobody doesn't mean she wants to be one. That's why she's trying to find her place, because she thinks that when she does, she'll finally be someone. But she hasn't found where she belongs yet. She thought she would with Luke, but he told her to sod off. So she's still looking. Besides, if she was as "unwanted" as all that, why does Kylo keep trying to recruit her?
Then she's a contradiction. A person that keeps on insisting that she's nobody isn't very convincing that she longs for the contrary. When a person wants to be somebody, they deny allegations that they aren't...fervently. Even if they have doubts that they may actually be a nobody, they fight it. Basically it falls down to psychology, and sadly I am not versed enough to adequately or accurately describe what I'm talking about.

Pretty sure she used the Force, which she already thought was meant to be used for lifting rocks. I'm going to go back and re-watch it, but I'm not convinced that there were that many heavy rocks. From my memory, it was more quantity of the rocks, not quality (weight) of the rocks. We don't actually see how much effort it took her to move them, only her happy look of proving Luke wrong about the Force being used to move rocks (yeah, I guess Finnigan too, but whatever). I'm also not convinced that those rocks weighted more than an X-Wing.
For her first major lift, there were a lot. It's like making the decision to be a power lifter cuz you have an easy time lifting 100lbs and entering a competition on the level of Hafþór Björnsson.

The average size looked to be minimum of 150-200lbs. And either way, they was enough volume of stone to block a cave entrance. So whether it one giga-normous boulder, many large rocks, or a pile of gravel, it was still a considerable weight to move. And don't give me "size matters not". She didn't have that lesson. Who's Finnigan?

I'm never going to not hate galen marek, and you're never going to not love him. We're never going to change the other's mind. Let's move on. You know what, fine. You take galen, I'm taking Vaylin. This should be a good fight.
1) Don't quote someone unless they actually said it.
2) You can hate the OP awesomeness that is Galen Marek all you want, it doesn't change the fact that a) he had to train for a long time to get that awesome, and b) even he wasn't invincible. He dies......TWICE.
3) I assume you are referring to Valin Horn?

I'm pretty sure the jedi definition of no attachments still allows friends. It just requires that you know when to let go of the friendship if needed. Like Obi-Wan did with Anakin.

And people do grow up in environments like hers, become upstanding people, rise above what they were given, and want to help others, especially help others who were once like they were. It happens in our world. Sure, those kind of people are 1 in 500,000, if that frequent, but they do exist. There are people who grew up in gang neighborhoods with a single parent working three jobs just to make ends meet, who rarely had enough food, dropped out of school, and more or less raised themselves. Yes, the very large majority of them don't make it out of the slums, the projects, the ghettos. But there are some who do, who want to be better, who want to make a difference and do the right thing. It is certainly not outside the realm of possibility that she would be that kind of person.
An attachment would be ANYONE that you couldn't stand to lose. Anakin and Obi Wan were friends. That is why Obi truly struggled with the task of facing Anakin, and favored going up against a foe that would surely and soundly whoop his ass. This struggle is one of many points of why the Jedi discourage attachment. Love complicates things.

They only do so when offered the choice. They have to be shown a different way. It may be confusing and sometimes conflicting at first but they eventually see the "higher road". But if left in their circumstance, there is no choice. "It is the way." Tongue

"Join me, and we will rule the galaxy as father and son." - No mention of friends.
Father and son. That is still a relationship, and one that is supposed to be stronger than friends. Something something blood and water.

"If you will not turn to the Dark side, perhaps she will." - If I cannot get you, I'll get other family members (although I don't think he had figured out just who Luke's sister was, otherwise he might not thought she'd join him. Or, more likely, he was just baiting Luke.).
More like "I'll kill you and start over with my other kid." I am in agreement that he didn't know who the sister was, but was now aware of her existence. But he also says "Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends." Definitely baiting Luke. This falls under Dun Möch. He's poking at Luke's insecurities in an effort to throw his concentration. What ended up happening is Luke has a little brush with the Dark Side and unleashes his anger. I would get into the Dark Side being used for good, but that is an entirely different discussion.

Um, you just said that Kylo wouldn't learn a new way of fighting with his lightsaber because the weapon had changed, and then pointed out that different swords utilize different techniques.... I think Kylo would have to at least modify his fighting style somewhat, given the differences between a standard lightsaber and the crossguard version.
Yes. Modifying is one thing, but changing styles all together is another. The traditional saber technique is heavily influenced by katana styles, which Ben <cringe> would have been taught, but then after he #$%&s up his saber Kyle fights with European broadsword styles. The physical difference between Ben's saber and Kyle's is minimal, so why change up just because of 2 new points to avoid?

Saber Combat -
Look, there's a finite number of ways to use a sword, a finite number of ways to cut, stab, slice, slash, or impale your opponent.
And being finite creatures, we haven't explored them ALL. It has been my experience that the actual strike isn't the variant, but rather being able to move the weapon and body to a good position to deliver the strike, and also how to maximize the effectiveness of the particular weapon.

However, there are at least two times, that I can think of that techniques were used that don't really have real world counterparts (oddly enough, they both involve removing hands), cuts that you could only really do with the omnidirectional blade of a lightsaber.
The first is when Vader takes Luke's hand off. He parries Luke's blade out of position, but cuts up from underneath to actually remove the hand. It's actually odd because Vader brings his saber down in order to bring it back up to cut off Luke's hand, instead of just cutting down from the end of the parry. If Luke had been trained more fully or had more experience, Vader's move would have actually given him time to move his hand out of the way, preventing it from being severed.

The second is when Anakin takes off Dooku's hands. He grabs Dooku's hands, locks them in place, then loops his saber under Dooku's hands and comes up to take them off. In looking at it, Anakin had A LOT of options once he grabbed Dooku's hands, including decapitation, amputation, running him through most of his vital organs, including his brain, bisecting him from skull to groin, and probably a hundred others. Instead he used a cut that could pretty much only be done with a lightsaber. Or at least one that's only practical with a lightsaber. Yes, in theory it could be done with a normal sword, but it would have been much more likely to just cut the arms, rather than amputate. Although I think if Dooku had reversed his grip fast enough, he could have at least cut Anakin's legs.
Agree on both counts. Even though the body is relatively easy to kill, taking it apart is a much more difficult task. In both cited instances, removal of the body parts is done with ease, as well as the offending weapon being raised vs. a traditional downward swing.

It's REALLY difficult to come up with a completely original and still viable combat style. Most of what we have now evolved over hundreds of years of battles, and even then are a blending of other styles and methods that came before them. I think the codification of the different lightsaber combat Forms is the closest you're going to get to creating original lightsaber combat styles. And if Disney had followed the EU, we would have got to see Luke's new jedi academy develop new lightsaber techniques to replace the loss of knowledge of the seven forms.
I won't dispute that inventing a complete new technique would be difficult, but on the other hand you're going to fight way differently with a a weapon that weighs the same as a flashlight than you would with one that weighs 20lbs. In a similar fashion, I also don't like the notion that its light weight means it's all about the deflection and stabby stabby nature of fencing.

Also, just because Sidious destroyed the Jedi, I'm not convinced that he destroyed everything in the archives. I'm pretty sure that Once Coruscant was liberated that he would have been able to get his hands on all kinds of Jedi data including the 7 forms.

One other note on combat in general, it's (obviously) best to learn as many different types/styles/methods/techniques as possible. Even if they aren't ones that work for you, or that you'll use, you can still recognize them if your opponent uses them, and know how to deal with them. In Star Wars specific terms, this is an excellent reason for the Sith to study and learn the jedi lightsaber combat forms. I also get the impression that a decent amount of Sith combat techniques were lost with the rest of the Sith after the final battle of Ruusan (especially with the death of Kas'im).
Bane was instructed by Kas'im. But you also have to consider how many Jedi were turned and brought into the fold, adding Jedi knowledge to the Sith repertoire.

Oh yeah, we were talking about Rey...
I know. Rey sucks.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2019, 08:43:12 PM »

3) I assume you are referring to Valin Horn?

No...Vaylin.

Daughter of Valkorion (aka Vitiate in a different form) and Sister to the twins from the Eternal Empire expansion from SWTOR.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2019, 09:53:13 PM »

Yes, I meant that Vaylin. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Vaylin

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 01:32:51 PM »

No...Vaylin.

Daughter of Valkorion (aka Vitiate in a different form) and Sister to the twins from the Eternal Empire expansion from SWTOR.
Yeah, wasn't terribly interested in the Eternal Empire.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: