Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Wampa-cloak  (Read 4675 times)
Sani2341
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -39

« on: December 01, 2019, 11:59:08 AM »

Recently I've been getting back into the deep end of Starwars, and inspired by some recent events in my Edge of the Empire game, I am now thinking about making a wampa-cloak that, idealy, would be used with both my Mandalorian and Sith cosplays.

Now while I do have a basic idea how I want to go about it, using the same basic template as I used before for cloaks for LARP outfits. I am a bit unsure how to best approach the horns, as I have never done somethign liek them before, but I feel adding those to the hood on either side would add a lot over having just a white (faux)fur-cloak.

In the end it should hopfeully look something in the ballpark of this:

(simple art I did for our party's Nightsister)
Though I am debating if I would prefer to use a red fabric for the innerlining rather than grey, seeing as the original plan for my Sith had a red cloak.

So has anyone here made similar horns before? be it for a lightsaber hilt or a costume and could share some pointers?

Sani2341
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 09:27:33 PM »

Hm can't seme to edit the first post, so please excuse the double post.

Since I finaly found a hopefully workable tutorial for the horns here: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70176.0

Now it's all just a question of figuing out where to get everything to get this thing sown together.

Sani2341
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 09:16:46 AM »

So after deciding to go with a red linen for the lining, fabric arrived to Day:

Also got started on the Pepakura horns:

Sadly didn't get far with them yet, first ran out of fiberglas mat after the first layer on Horn one.
Then off resin after the second layer. Going to get more of that on monday if i can manage it, then coating the second Horn and sanding the first one to shape.
After that the Plan is to glue on strips of thin rope to Form ridges on the outside, before giving it a third and final layer of resin and fiberglas.

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 09:43:44 AM »

Wow, looks really nice, I'm curious about the endreault. please keep us posted.

And goodluck with that fiberglass, sounds  like a hard task.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Sani2341
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 10:49:35 AM »

Wow, looks really nice, I'm curious about the endreault. please keep us posted.

And goodluck with that fiberglass, sounds  like a hard task.

I am planning on keeping you All posted once i get more work done.

And so far the fiberglass and resin application to the Pepakura Base is more time consuming and annoying, But then again sanding it will probably be a pain.

Sani2341
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 06:49:21 PM »

So the first Horn is halfway done, Atleast as far as resin coating is concerned:

Next up, I'll get the other Horn to that same stage, asuming i can recover it from a number of seams breaking open as i applied the first layer of fiberglass. Lesson learned: always make sure the Pepakura is still Holding firm before working with it.

As for the fabric parts, Both the linen lining and the faux fur parts are cut.

Nothing to fancy pattern wise, the big piece in the back is a half-circle cloak, to cut one your self simply draw a half circle on a piece of fabric, idealy with a radius = width of the fabric. You can always trim it later if That's too short.
The quartercircles in the relativ Center of it will Form the hood, those were simply measured to fit the neck cut out in the larger half circle. (which as this Thing should in the end also fit my mando was easy to measure with the helmet for that kit:

(note i forgot to take a pic imediatly, so the helmet got bumped around abit before this picture)

The long Strips I'll be adding to the Front to add a counterweight for when the whole Thing hangs mostly from my shoulders/neck, and Potentialy to tie it closed.

Before i continue there though i need to finish the horns to a point where i can measure out their rough Positions and the holes to fit them. As well as the teeth i want lining the hood and then i can sew it most of the way together.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 07:01:13 PM »

Loving seeing this come along!

ALSO! You should absolutey post some of your art over in the Art/FF thread!

Sani2341
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 07:10:25 PM »

Loving seeing this come along!

ALSO! You should absolutey post some of your art over in the Art/FF thread!
Thanks, it's an interesting idea to try and bring to fruition.

As for Art, Not sure i am up to exposing that to public scrutiny, especially as the Devaronian above is one of my better pieces.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2784

Grey Assassin

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 07:19:42 PM »

Following this, coming out really well!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 07:31:42 PM »

Thanks, it's an interesting idea to try and bring to fruition.

As for Art, Not sure i am up to exposing that to public scrutiny, especially as the Devaronian above is one of my better pieces.

I mean it does look good though. Wouldnt have brought it up otherwise  Grin

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 04:00:24 AM »

Coming along nicely from what I see here

Sani2341
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 03:54:39 PM »

So New year New Update.

With my New favourite toy i got for Christmas(a Belt sander) the horns for the hood were quickly finished to a point where i could Mark out and test fit the cut outs in the hood:

And after some hours of pining things into place, and probably closer to 40minutes of sitting before the sewing Maschine, i could take some potato quality Selfies, as the roommate was unavailable to take pictures.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 04:06:03 PM »

Thanks for the “snack” of the French fries (chips to those familiar with UK terminology); now my appetite for better photos of you wearing the cloak has been whetted.  Put the roomie to work when they return! 

This project is looking pretty dang good!

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 03:43:44 AM »

Looks to be coming along very nicely there

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: