Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Who else thinks SWTOR is the new direction for the movies?  (Read 4172 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 10:02:04 PM »

1.) I believe we've established they fly by the seat of their pants now
2.) Pretty Sure that wasn't knowledge Vader had.  He knew of Illum and Bleeding but I doubt he ever learned about the other sources.  It was just the best material on Mustafar for a castle.
No disrespect to you, but whatever.

4.) Put it this way.  I can pick up any Viking Age Sword (specifically Wheeler Type IV) and use it effectively.  But my personal one, the one I customed the hilt for , I am much more comfortable with that one.  I see it with Swords, Knives and guns.  So while they can of course use any saber, it will never feel as right as the one they made.  That "bond" through the Force also determines the color.  That seems to be a hold over from the KOTR games just explained differently.  Blue seems to be for action oriented people (IE Anakin) Green for those attuned to the Force (Qui-Gon and Yoda), Yellow for Duty (Sentinels)...just my theory.  Of course their are exceptions (Black, Purple).  Sith, being Dark Siders, Cant bond with a Crystal so they have to steal and force them... which turns them Red.  Not to dissimilar to them using the Dark Side to form Synthetic Crystals.  This is supposed to mimic the idea of the sword being the "soul" of the Samurai.  Japanese Lore has more than a few similar Ideas about Swords "turning bad" because of their User.  So its not that their color determines their connection to the Force...their Connection to the Force determines their Color.  While I like the added mysticism to the Crystal Lore...there were better ways to present it I feel.  I might write up the way I would have done it.
I am familiar with this Japanese belief, but that also ties into the belief that a samurai's katana is his soul. So a weapon that is used to dishonorably is corrupted. In this respect, the crystal should merely change color on its own through association with a dark user; which I could get behind. And though I have no argument with your point of crafting a hilt for one's own preference, simply salvaging any crystal should suffice to meet that end.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 10:38:00 PM »

No disrespect to you, but whatever.

Alright.........

I am familiar with this Japanese belief, but that also ties into the belief that a samurai's katana is his soul. So a weapon that is used to dishonorably is corrupted. In this respect, the crystal should merely change color on its own through association with a dark user; which I could get behind.

Same. 

And though I have no argument with your point of crafting a hilt for one's own preference, simply salvaging any crystal should suffice to meet that end.

Because your mindset still begins with the Crystal is just that...a crystal.  Instead come at it as that the Kybers are semi-sentient conduits of the Force.

“The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force. The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined: the crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.” - Luminara Unduli

This was pre_Disney in the Clone Wars Micro Series.  Of course you could read it as metaphorical...but its obvious the Idea of the Crystal being more was in George's head.

As I've said before...making the crystals more mystical is something I always wanted to see.  I never bought that in a Universe that can heal fatal injuries, travel light years in days and control the weather...some non force user had not backward engineered the construction of a lightsaber.  Making their connection to the Saber more Force Oriented erases that imo.  While their are things I would change  I am supportive of the idea.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2019, 06:24:09 PM »

Alright.........
I generally hate the response "whatever", but it fit my reaction. I felt as though you were merely relaying info and not giving an opinion, so I didn't what my response to be directed at you personally, but at the source of your info.

Because your mindset still begins with the Crystal is just that...a crystal.  Instead come at it as that the Kybers are semi-sentient conduits of the Force.
Just.........no. It's a rock in a piece of hardware. If I wanted weapons with attitude I'd be more into Harry Potter.

“The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force. The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined: the crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.” - Luminara Unduli

This was pre_Disney in the Clone Wars Micro Series.  Of course you could read it as metaphorical...but its obvious the Idea of the Crystal being more was in George's head.
Fully aware that this is a quote from the superior CW series. Wink

It is actually, but I read it as comparing the crystal to one's heart. The color of the blade is affected by the condition of the heart. A pure heart stays in the light, and a corrupted one leans to the dark side of the Force. In fact, it paints a better notion that the crystal should merely change due to exposure of intentions. I could envision some neat stories of how saber blades start to change colors within the order, basically telling on the owners.

As I've said before...making the crystals more mystical is something I always wanted to see. I never bought that in a Universe that can heal fatal injuries, travel light years in days and control the weather...some non force user had not backward engineered the construction of a lightsaber. Making their connection to the Saber more Force Oriented erases that imo.  While there are things I would change, I am supportive of the idea.
At the risk of breaking rules, I'm going to draw a parallel to Raiders of the Lost Ark. At the end of the film, when the Nazis open the Ark, Indy knows not to look at it. He is spared not so much IMO because he is a religious man, but because he knows about (though may not fully understand) the power of the relic, and that shutting his eyes in reverence might stem the wrath that is pouring out of it. In a similar fashion, a layperson of a galaxy far far away could activate and use a lightsaber without having a Force connection to it. I know how to apply paint to brush to canvass, doesn't mean I can achieve the greatness of the Mona Lisa. But if you want a closer example of why something like a saber hadn't been reverse engineered, think about why (Legends & Disney Canon) beskar was never mass produced and marketed. Metallurgy is much simpler than the construction of a lightsaber. In the reign of the Jedi, sabers were a guarded secret, and in the days of the Empire, they were illegal to possess. Makes it a little difficult to reproduce something that isn't likely to be in your possession long enough to thoroughly study, dismantle, find suitable materials to reproduce.

To me, the ability to produce a fixed length plasma blade is pretty special. It didn't need anything added to it. A weapon with a will is too Harry Potter, and rocks that have some mystical connection to the universe is too MCU. Wink

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 02:51:02 AM »

While I agree with the majority of what Logos wrote, I think that SWTOR SHOULD (and hopefully WILL) be the focus of the future movies.  Frankly, I think that having armies of Sith vs. Jedi would be magnificent, both cinematically and for us fans.  One of the very best things about TOR was the fact that BOTH sides had their merits and foibles, spanning the spectrum of white, black, gray, and all the colors inbetween.  If anything, the movies could follow the example of "The Mandalorian" with a bit of moral ambiguity.  How'd Logos put it?  "Complex characters and plots" indeed  Wink

If anything, Disney could even justify the genre shift by the fact that the galaxy of TOR is millennia before the Skywalker Saga.  Plus: Forceusers in power armor wielding lightsabers and telekinesis?  I'll take my tickets, please  Grin

Just a solid yes please! I've said for years this is the best yet woefully overlooked movie option. Using KOTOR and the Bane trilogy as a base could appeal to their need to keep having "conflict based/showy battles" in movies and plenty of room to move forward into areas fans beg to have explored. Many of the Legends books keep filling in the blanks with Sith of the Bane line. Revan, the Army of Light VS the Brotherhood of Darkness, the Sith progression under the Rule of Two; epic basis for who knows how many well thought out movies. As far as thoughts of TOR as a potential direction for the movies you can read my post here http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=43309.0 if you desire. I just hope (possibly beyond reason) that they could do it well instead of mucking it all up into Bantha hoodoo.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: