Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: What kinds of sabers *are* in Grab Bags??  (Read 3169 times)
Keywei
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 16

LARPer - Videographer - YouTuber

« on: December 04, 2019, 03:37:07 AM »

Hi Saberforum! Long time lurker here, finally made my first purchase for me and a friend of mine- two grab bags! One completely random (for him) and one random +Aedegan silver blade (for me)
I actually asked for a shorter blade (32" instead of 36") for my saber if that was at all possible because I know I'm alot shorter than he is and probably wouldn't be able to train properly with that length.

I've been scouring the topics for a while to try and find a list of just what you can find in a grab bag. Some people say it could be anything, some people said it's a certain range of hilts, some say no initiates are involved and some say they are. It's a mixed bag and I'm not sure what's true or not. What are your experiences with Grab Bags? Is there a link to a list of what hilts do and don't show up?

Super excited for our sabers to get here, I just hope loves what he gets. I'm honestly aware that I'll love whatever I get, even if I do have my hopes set on a few in particular.
I'm also DEFINITELY doing a first impressions/unboxing with these!

Thanks!

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 12:59:13 PM »

As far as I know it's almost the same as a Mysterybox.
Grabbags never have sound.
Grabbags cost 70 USD, so the hilt will be worht 70USD or more (same as Mysteryboxes, but then 75 USD and up). Although reading through the description and seeing the current prices of some sabers, it may be a 65USD minimum, not sure now. Maybe somebody else can give a definitive awnser.

But anyhting goes really, it could be an Initiate v4, it could be a Fallen. Although as you can imagine, the changes of getting an upperrange saber are smaller then getting a more 'standard' saber.
And you might get a saber with a small scratch, or as US calls it a small cosmetic flaw.

I got a beautiful Aeon v3 in GB as a grabbag gift and a Sentinel v4 as a Mysterybox. Got really lucky because the Sentinel came with sound!

Hope you'll get a nice saber and like most of us here on the forum probably will say: 'Pictures please!'

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Keywei
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 01:29:13 PM »

But anyhting goes really, it could be an Initiate v4, it could be a Fallen. Although as you can imagine, the changes of getting an upperrange saber are smaller then getting a more 'standard' saber.
And you might get a saber with a small scratch, or as US calls it a small cosmetic flaw.

I got a beautiful Aeon v3 in GB as a grabbag gift and a Sentinel v4 as a Mysterybox. Got really lucky because the Sentinel came with sound!

Hope you'll get a nice saber and like most of us here on the forum probably will say: 'Pictures please!'

I've seen alot of Apprentices/Sentinels in unboxings so that's what I'm really hoping we get, but honestly, as long as the Saber hilt is long enough for him I don't really care what I get! (It's an xmas present)
Did my research and landed on the Grab Bag instead of Mystery Box plainly because we wanted stunt sabers for cons, LARPs, costumes and practice. Cosmetic flaws we're all good with Smiley

Also those are beautiful sabers, nice one! What colour blade did you end up receiving? Seeing lots of blues/greens/reds. And you'll definitely be getting photos!

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 01:44:52 PM »

You're welcome, and to lessen your worries.
I'm 2.03m tall, I think that is 6 foot 7 or 8. I specificly ordered the Aeon and Sentinel hilts so I could use them as a double handed saber. Being a tall guy I have no problem wielding them with one hand as well. The Aoen v4 is actuallly starting to become my most favorite saber to spin with (single handedly). And for spinning I prefer a 32"blade because of the balance. Especially when in staff-mode. But 36" works fine for me as well.

Two of my students have an apprentice v5 wich they also use as a double-handed saber. For my big hands, it's also possible, no real problems, but I do prefer the longer hilts when I use them as a double-hander, simply because I have a bit more room between the hands.

And to brighten up this threat a bit, this was my last order:

The third and fourth saber from the left were the grabbag- and mysterybox sabers

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 08:12:30 PM »

In most cases you'll end up with a saber from the low-price category - Aeons, Sentinels, Apprentices and such. In my 6 years that I've been a member here, I only heard of 3 or 4 that actually scored hilt from the higher categories. And I've seen and heard a lot Cheesy

But it's correct that it could be any saber from the whole line-up...theoretically.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 08:30:15 PM »

What everyone said, I recommend the mystery box if you want a higher chance of receiving a higher end saber.

Keywei
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 08:33:01 PM »

You're welcome, and to lessen your worries.
I'm 2.03m tall, I think that is 6 foot 7 or 8. I specificly ordered the Aeon and Sentinel hilts so I could use them as a double handed saber. Being a tall guy I have no problem wielding them with one hand as well. The Aoen v4 is actuallly starting to become my most favorite saber to spin with (single handedly). And for spinning I prefer a 32"blade because of the balance. Especially when in staff-mode. But 36" works fine for me as well.

Two of my students have an apprentice v5 wich they also use as a double-handed saber. For my big hands, it's also possible, no real problems, but I do prefer the longer hilts when I use them as a double-hander, simply because I have a bit more room between the hands.

And to brighten up this threat a bit, this was my last order:

The third and fourth saber from the left were the grabbag- and mysterybox sabers

I love the Sentinels/Apprentices so much, especially the V5 new ones, but I have no idea if they've made it into Grab Bag circulation yet. So if we got those or an Aeon, I'd be more than happy. (The LE versions are my favourites!)
I'm 5'3 and quite petite so something smaller for one-handed spinning would be great for me. He, however, is a good 6'3, so the bigger one should be going to him.

Also that is a *gorgeous* collection and a nice variation of colours!

In most cases you'll end up with a saber from the low-price category - Aeons, Sentinels, Apprentices and such. In my 6 years that I've been a member here, I only heard of 3 or 4 that actually scored hilt from the higher categories. And I've seen and heard a lot Cheesy

But it's correct that it could be any saber from the whole line-up...theoretically.

I'm not holding out for one of the fancy-fancy ones (though I wouldn't say no!) and I'm pretty much happy with whatever I'll get honestly. Again, Sentinel/Apprentice and I'll be a happy bunny.
What was the 'best' Grab Bag you think you've ever seen?? As in the highest priced saber you've ever seen received??

It's nice to know it could be literally anything!

What everyone said, I recommend the mystery box if you want a higher chance of receiving a higher end saber.

Ah, too late for that now unfortunately. Besides, we only wanted stunts, and I'm not always the biggest fan of sabers with sound.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 08:42:12 PM »

I'm not holding out for one of the fancy-fancy ones (though I wouldn't say no!) and I'm pretty much happy with whatever I'll get honestly. Again, Sentinel/Apprentice and I'll be a happy bunny.
What was the 'best' Grab Bag you think you've ever seen?? As in the highest priced saber you've ever seen received??

It's nice to know it could be literally anything!

If I remember correctly, the highest was a Graflex. I also remember an Archon v2.1...one of my favourites ^^

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 04:52:11 AM »

It's changed over the years, as Racona can attest to.

Originally the mystery boxes didn't exist, and grab bags were basically something from the Init/App/Sent/Aeon/Dom lines, mostly Sentinels/Aeons/Dominix's. The highest I heard at the time I started following US (Feb 2015) was a Dark Prophecy. But there were stories of higher ones from before then.

However, around October 2016, in anticipation of some upcoming movie or another, US started to run out of sabers. I mean everything Sentinel and below, as well as about 30% of the higher end sabers were completely out of stock. I know Liberators and DSI's were going out as grab bags then because I got one of each. In addition there were Prophecy's going out, and even a couple of Guardians and Bellicoses.

Based on the current picture for the grab bag, you can get anything up to a Emperor's Hand. Note also that you may get a "lower" end saber, but with a different pommel than the standard. My personal prediction will be somewhere in the Init/App/Sent/Aeon/Dom lines, maybe a SI or Lib.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 06:09:03 AM »

Originally the mystery boxes didn't exist, and grab bags were basically something from the Init/App/Sent/Aeon/Dom lines, mostly Sentinels/Aeons/Dominix's. The highest I heard at the time I started following US (Feb 2015) was a Dark Prophecy. But there were stories of higher ones from before then.

However, around October 2016, in anticipation of some upcoming movie or another, US started to run out of sabers. I mean everything Sentinel and below, as well as about 30% of the higher end sabers were completely out of stock. I know Liberators and DSI's were going out as grab bags then because I got one of each. In addition there were Prophecy's going out, and even a couple of Guardians and Bellicoses.

Based on the current picture for the grab bag, you can get anything up to a Emperor's Hand. Note also that you may get a "lower" end saber, but with a different pommel than the standard. My personal prediction will be somewhere in the Init/App/Sent/Aeon/Dom lines, maybe a SI or Lib.

My very first grab-bag, back in mid-2015, was a Liberator in Violet Amethyst.   
My second was an Aeon V2 LE in Guardian Blue ... with a bronze covertec installed.
My third was an Aeon V2 with the RGB set-up (3 switches).

The others were almost all Aeon V3s or V4s in some flavor of blue or green.  :-)   

However, I switched to buying Mystery boxes when they became available.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »

Stunts are great, I buy most of my sabers in that format now

Keywei
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 04:35:23 PM »

If I remember correctly, the highest was a Graflex. I also remember an Archon v2.1...one of my favourites ^^

Oh wow that's intense... I'm not expecting either of those but it's crazy to know they go that high!

Ah yeah, some random upcoming movie, can't imagine what it was Tongue
That's crazy though, I guess it literally is just whatever they have in stock from ones that people have returned/haven't finished paying for? Which usually is the cheaper hilts because they're the most popular.
I'm personally happy with any from the Init/App/Sent/Aeon/Dom lines, but I think the Inits may be a bit small for my friend. Here's hoping though!!!

My very first grab-bag, back in mid-2015, was a Liberator in Violet Amethyst.  
My second was an Aeon V2 LE in Guardian Blue ... with a bronze covertec installed.
My third was an Aeon V2 with the RGB set-up (3 switches).

The others were almost all Aeon V3s or V4s in some flavor of blue or green.  :-)  

However, I switched to buying Mystery boxes when they became available.

OH wow you got some GOOD finds! That Liberator though... I've noticed that violet is a rare colour in Grab Bags.

Stunts are great, I buy most of my sabers in that format now

Yeah, I think all my purchases are gonna be stunts Smiley cuts down on cost and means I can swing away to my hearts content and not get annoyed by the lOuDnEsS.

I'm guessing US must be super super busy right now (it makes sense for this time of month) because I haven't had a shipping confirmation yet. I keep looking back at my emails hoping  Grin

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 10:49:07 PM »

From my Grab Bags i've gotten via Raffles or Holiday events (via the free grab bag codes), the majority have been Sentinel v4's, Aeon v4's or Initiate/Apprentices of various types. The only oddball was a Dark Standard Issue Battlesaber. The LED colors also tended to be Guardian Blue or Councilor Green.

I don't buy GB or MB by themselves anymore, I just use coupon codes when I make the big buys, so I don't know what may be sent out in the purchased ones.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 11:42:26 AM »

Black hilt and a yellow black is quite nice, will need to get one myself

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 05:21:15 PM »

Black hilt and a yellow black is quite nice, will need to get one myself
This was NOT a Grab Bag; this was a specific order, but here is a black (and silver) hilt with a yellow blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: