Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: LET'S PLAY Knights of the Old Republic [with Restored Content] SPOILER-FREE!  (Read 27216 times)
Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« on: December 11, 2019, 07:31:08 AM »

Let's Play by me, of 2003 Bioware game "Knights of the Old Republic" with Restored Content for anyone who is interested in playing along. Not much for restored stuff in this video, but it will be showing up throughout. Spoiler-free for people who have not played the first game themselves. This is meant as an introduction, walk-through, and general enjoyment of RPG aspect.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omJ14OM2tGc&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omJ14OM2tGc&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 03:41:35 AM »

Ahhh the memories...I remember playing for the first time no idea what to put points into I had experience with Morrowind and other RPG's but this was the first star wars one, what skills will be useful, what feats will set me up for a fun combat style? As a Scout I took the middle options and turned out ok.  Any way thanks for this, and being Gwen's voice too, brings back a lot of memories...I soo wish I had time to replay this, or better still a new version with modern graphics and menu's was made - keep everything the same (story, characters) just a reskin with some Kotor 2 crafting etc. and it would be amazing. Look forward to seeing how Gwen's story progresses.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 10:05:22 PM »

Ahhh the memories...I remember playing for the first time no idea what to put points into I had experience with Morrowind and other RPG's but this was the first star wars one, what skills will be useful, what feats will set me up for a fun combat style? As a Scout I took the middle options and turned out ok.  Any way thanks for this, and being Gwen's voice too, brings back a lot of memories...I soo wish I had time to replay this, or better still a new version with modern graphics and menu's was made - keep everything the same (story, characters) just a reskin with some Kotor 2 crafting etc. and it would be amazing. Look forward to seeing how Gwen's story progresses.

Thanks LSG! A reboot would be great with modern graphics and stability for newer systems. Some would say with a different combat system too.... except I really like the D20 turn-based combat style XD

My "Gwen voice" will improve in later videos. I managed to set the volume of the music low enough finally I can hear myself speak lol. I'll likely end up using this as partial reseaarch play for Gwen, since my first research plays were without restored content items.

I put up Episode 2 yesterday, but forgot to post here, so here it is!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-MphbKSoxo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-MphbKSoxo</a>

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 11:19:53 PM »

I was REALLY thinking about starting KoToR, ESPECIALLY now that you have this great walkthrough, LR!

Couple of questions ***SPOILERS***:
1) I know VERY few bits concerning the game's narrative and absolutely NOTHING about gameplay.  If I were to start and wanted to focus on being a Jedi Guardian (I know that you can become one later after the rakghouls), what skills should I focus on?

2) What are the best attributes for DoT gameplay?

3) Do you have a breakdown of the best equipment (weapons&armor) for early/middle/late/endgame?

4) Is there any other downloadable content that I need be aware of?

Anyhow, thanks for doing this LR!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 11:34:02 AM »

I was REALLY thinking about starting KoToR, ESPECIALLY now that you have this great walkthrough, LR!

1) I know VERY few bits concerning the game's narrative and absolutely NOTHING about gameplay.  If I were to start and wanted to focus on being a Jedi Guardian (I know that you can become one later after the rakghouls), what skills should I focus on?

3) Do you have a breakdown of the best equipment (weapons&armor) for early/middle/late/endgame?

Hmm...it depends how you want to play, Jedi Guardian gets lots of feats but limited force power, but if you want to start as soldier, focus on demo, persuade is useful always, solid constitution and you can become a pretty strong tank quickly

As to gear, pretty much you find what you find and can only afford with the credits you have, you just cobble together what you can, unless you use console commands see below. Later on as you explore do side quests you might across better items, but part of the fun is making your equipment your own based on what you find/steal/bargain for. KOTOR2 has a quite good crafting system which makes it different. If going for  Jedi Guardian build try and snag some heavy or medium armour with a +2 dexterity or better allowance.

There is no real downloadable content, there was one called Yavin station but I believe it is now included with the main game if you've bought it recently (last few years) I'm sure LR can help more with this.

Another option is to look up console commands and edit your character with 20 for all the Attributes from the start so you don't have to worry about skills as much - that is how I played it last time years ago (1 and 2 actually) it is a 'cheat'* but it doesn't make you invincible, you will still have plenty of tough fights toward the end, but you're not worried about RPG elements as much and can just enjoy the narrative and most importantly experiment with different approaches to problems instead of being restricted to 'class' skills. Honestly I would recommend doing it that way if you'e not into the intricacies of RPG's.  Of course to increase challenge just set all attributes a bit lower, 17 or 18.

PM me if you want to know more, but again I'm sure LR will offer some advice too.

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 11:25:20 PM »

"Lets go back and loot the corpses" LOL that 1/3 of games! Love how as you did that woman just wandered past them  utterly indifferent, the joys of video games. You're character is doing pretty well with your sniper shot too btw.

Lord_S_Gray

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 02:27:31 AM »

Hmm...it depends how you want to play, Jedi Guardian gets lots of feats but limited force power, but if you want to start as soldier, focus on demo, persuade is useful always, solid constitution and you can become a pretty strong tank quickly

As to gear, pretty much you find what you find and can only afford with the credits you have, you just cobble together what you can, unless you use console commands see below. Later on as you explore do side quests you might across better items, but part of the fun is making your equipment your own based on what you find/steal/bargain for. KOTOR2 has a quite good crafting system which makes it different. If going for  Jedi Guardian build try and snag some heavy or medium armour with a +2 dexterity or better allowance.

There is no real downloadable content, there was one called Yavin station but I believe it is now included with the main game if you've bought it recently (last few years) I'm sure LR can help more with this.

Another option is to look up console commands and edit your character with 20 for all the Attributes from the start so you don't have to worry about skills as much - that is how I played it last time years ago (1 and 2 actually) it is a 'cheat'* but it doesn't make you invincible, you will still have plenty of tough fights toward the end, but you're not worried about RPG elements as much and can just enjoy the narrative and most importantly experiment with different approaches to problems instead of being restricted to 'class' skills. Honestly I would recommend doing it that way if you'e not into the intricacies of RPG's.  Of course to increase challenge just set all attributes a bit lower, 17 or 18.

PM me if you want to know more, but again I'm sure LR will offer some advice too.
Thanks, LSG!  I'll PM you  Smiley

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 07:09:31 AM »

1.) Soldier to Guardian is always solid since your focuses are largely the same. It's also a great combo for a first playthrough. the combat system is VERY different than most games, so having a good strength and sabers build for a beginning player helps.

2.) Not sure what "DoT" stands for >.> Mind translating so I can answer your question effectively?

3.) I've never done a complete breakdown, but I can make an effort to discuss equipment as it comes up

4.) For the first game, only if you plan on playing female XD The most popular mods i know of are all specifically for female PC (Female Romance Bastila Mod, Carth Romance Fix mod [which I have installed, so you'll get to see], and the mod for JUST the cut ending without any other restored content [which is specifically for Dark Side Female if you romance Carth]). Most people play the first game without any mods at all, including the Restored content.

And my pleasure! It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, because I have so many friends who know of the game, or know some of its influence (because, let's face it, it's pretty difficult to be a Star Wars fan at all and escape KotOR's impact on the fandom c ompletely) but who have never played for themselves. I also know of a LOT of people who have only played the game later on, and only one way, with views strongly colored by SWTOR and are convinced there's only one way, and I hope to rectify this by introducing them to a vast wealth of content that just plain doesn't exist if you play with that mindset.

I also have a link to a full walkthrough guide (which I use mainly for quick access to dialogue trees, but it has a lot of useful stuff regarding your questions as well). I can link upon request, but it WILL contain MASSIVE spoilers since it contains nearly the full script of the first game.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 05:30:29 PM »

1.) Soldier to Guardian is always solid since your focuses are largely the same. It's also a great combo for a first playthrough. the combat system is VERY different than most games, so having a good strength and sabers build for a beginning player helps.

2.) Not sure what "DoT" stands for >.> Mind translating so I can answer your question effectively?

3.) I've never done a complete breakdown, but I can make an effort to discuss equipment as it comes up

4.) For the first game, only if you plan on playing female XD The most popular mods i know of are all specifically for female PC (Female Romance Bastila Mod, Carth Romance Fix mod [which I have installed, so you'll get to see], and the mod for JUST the cut ending without any other restored content [which is specifically for Dark Side Female if you romance Carth]). Most people play the first game without any mods at all, including the Restored content.

And my pleasure! It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, because I have so many friends who know of the game, or know some of its influence (because, let's face it, it's pretty difficult to be a Star Wars fan at all and escape KotOR's impact on the fandom c ompletely) but who have never played for themselves. I also know of a LOT of people who have only played the game later on, and only one way, with views strongly colored by SWTOR and are convinced there's only one way, and I hope to rectify this by introducing them to a vast wealth of content that just plain doesn't exist if you play with that mindset.

I also have a link to a full walkthrough guide (which I use mainly for quick access to dialogue trees, but it has a lot of useful stuff regarding your questions as well). I can link upon request, but it WILL contain MASSIVE spoilers since it contains nearly the full script of the first game.
1) Awesome!  That makes sense  Smiley

2) Sorry, LR.  "DoT" stands for "Damage over Time."  Basically for melee it maximizes regular damage vs. spike damage from criticals, weaponskills, etc.

3) Good deal; thanks!

4) Good to know!  I appreciate the info  Smiley

I would love to have a look at the link!  And I don't mind spoilers  Wink

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 09:55:14 PM »

Episode 3 Let's Play of 2003 Bioware game "Knights of the Old Republic" with Restored Content for anyone who is interested in playing along. Not much for restored stuff in this video, but it does have the first bit of really gameplay changing content. Spoiler-free for people who have not played the first game themselves. This is meant as an introduction, walk-through, and general enjoyment of RPG aspect. If you haven’t already, please subscribe to my channel for more future gameplay and general saber content.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4WgNoAph-s&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4WgNoAph-s&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 10:11:06 PM »

1) Awesome!  That makes sense  Smiley

2) Sorry, LR.  "DoT" stands for "Damage over Time."  Basically for melee it maximizes regular damage vs. spike damage from criticals, weaponskills, etc.

3) Good deal; thanks!

4) Good to know!  I appreciate the info  Smiley

I would love to have a look at the link!  And I don't mind spoilers  Wink

2.) Aaaaaah! Okay, that makes sense. Not sure I'm the best person to answer that question, given my personal style relies on all of the "vs" things lol.  Sad sorry. I know you'll want to focus on strength and constitution for pure melee damage, but I can't give much advice beyond that. Personally, I level up Scoundrel class as much as possible in the beginning and then max out "Force Wave" (which has a stun effect and area hit). Scoundrel class gets a feat where you do bonus damage when you attack a target from behind, coming out of stealth, or when the target is incapacitated (like with stun), so it lends itself to lots of damage bonuses when you combine that feat with a force power like Force Wave.

Here's the link: https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 10:22:51 AM »

Episode 5 is up!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj93CeJj7ng&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj93CeJj7ng&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 12:02:19 PM »

When all else fails throw a grenade! Really enjoying this skipping through when i can, that fight with Selven reminds me of how tight some fights were (those rakghouls.....how many times i died...)...how one missed shot can turn the battle, and then scrounging for med packs and grenades, using every last item you have...and you have so few (lol you have armour Carth!) Also love the citizens wandering into fire fights and oblivious to you going through apartment complexes looting and slaughtering!

Lord_S_Gray

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 12:20:01 AM »

When all else fails throw a grenade! Really enjoying this skipping through when i can, that fight with Selven reminds me of how tight some fights were (those rakghouls.....how many times i died...)...how one missed shot can turn the battle, and then scrounging for med packs and grenades, using every last item you have...and you have so few (lol you have armour Carth!) Also love the citizens wandering into fire fights and oblivious to you going through apartment complexes looting and slaughtering!

YUP! Grenades fix everything! XD Them and mines. I use so many mines in some later parts... In retrospect, I probably should have gotten armor before facing Selven (like I should have looted the footlocker before I used the permacrete detonator), but eh! It's not the end of the world... yet Tongue

And yes XD I assume that's why the lower city citizens were cut. They just sort of wander in the middle of the path like nothing is happening while there's firefight all around them.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 02:52:50 AM »

And yes XD I assume that's why the lower city citizens were cut. They just sort of wander in the middle of the path like nothing is happening while there's firefight all around them.

Lets be generous and assume its intentional - the lower citizens are just so used to gang warfare in the lower city between vulakrs, Beks, and Davik that blaster fights and looting are of no import to them!

Looking forward to BOOM time with Mines and Gwen LOL get those plasma's out there, fun times especially with a Force push straight into them....

Lord_S_Gray

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: