• Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: gear  (Read 2150 times)
mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« on: December 19, 2019, 06:05:10 PM »

What is your recommendations for a beginning spinner? Feel free to use this as a template..

Hilt?

Blade length?

Any modifications needed?

Any other items

drills for self-learning and where to begin (videos welcome)

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 06:47:49 PM »

Hello there.  

What is your recommendations for a beginning spinner? Feel free to use this as a template..

Blade length?

Any modifications needed?

I say use a stunt saber to spin since there's less things to break, try to use velcro all around the battery case to try and cushion it since you will drop it.  Depending on how tall you are, I am 5'10 and I am comfortable with a 30 to 32 inch blade but I use anywhere between 24 to 32.  

Hilt?

I like the Aeon/Dominix V4s along with the Sentinel V4s since they have room for both hands but light enough for one

https://ultrasabers.com/product/aeon-le-v4/

https://ultrasabers.com/product/dominix-le-v4/

https://ultrasabers.com/product/sentinel-le-v4/

https://ultrasabers.com/product/dark-sentinel-le-v4/

Any other items

A tripod to hold your phone and extra batteries won't hurt

Find a good spot where you won't smack things would be good like being outside on a grassy area that's leveled to spin.

drills for self-learning and where to begin (videos welcome)

Darth Cephalus got me started with his training videos. He covers all the basics and even get into the intermediate and advance moves, start with him first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UevYAWVrVxA&list=PLf2BA9eUktwv28hZsM78mH711OtfEw1pP

If you have questions, you can always post what you're having issues with, a lot of us will respond

Record your sessions and post them in the Spin Zone thread if you would like. We have a lot of talented flow artists in this forum and we're always positive and encouraging so you'll never hear anything negative. If you start to feel intimidated, stop looking at our posts and concentrate on what you're practicing. Trust me, I started a little over a year ago and boy was I intimidated until I decided to just focus on training and know that I will get there.

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=23126.1275

I have my own thread if you would like to check it out

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=40088.660

Recording is good since it will give you something visual to see in regards to what you're doing wrong or not doing. It's also there so when you evolve as you learn, you'll see how far along you've come.

Hope this helps, welcome to the forum and to Saber Artistry.  

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 11:15:52 AM »

A big compliment to Infinite, real good overview.

Nothing more to add then my own little spinning experience.
I really like my Aeon v4 with a 32 blade for spinning. I added a War Glaive pommel, thanks to someones advice here on the forum. (Forgive me for forgetting your name.) The pommel brings the balance back right at the emiter and that's where I hold my hands, on that nice little choke hold.
The Aeon v3 is also a really nice spinner, somehow feels a bit softer then the v4.

Get a (ultra edge) heavy grade blade, you'll want the thickness because you will drop your saber!

Maybe even consider making a balanced dummy sword for practicing the more intricate, difficult, throwing moves, where the change of dropping your saber is even bigger. If you'd like, I can find a picture of the ones I made, just to give you an idea.

Take small steps, don't go for the big and difficult moves. A strong basis is the foundation for everything else. Master the basics first. Train, eat, sleep, repeat. (and live a little in between Wink )

Practice both hands, left and right, it may feel terrible now, but you'll thank me later Wink

I like training plans, setting goals, so I know what i want to train and not get destracted.

There are a few threads on this forum with a lot of spinning tutorials, do a quick forum search and find what you like.

And most importantly, have fun along the road. Pre, post and during training. Even when you hit yourself for the 100th time. Maybe that's even a moment to celebrate.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 02:57:55 PM »

Thank you, TC Chuan, and kudos to you as well.

You should always practice with both sides, I say use more emphasis with practicing on your non-dominant since it will take anywhere from being two to four times harder and longer to train with.  You should be able to do this so often that you will pick up the saber with your non-dominant hand and spin without thinking.

I set small goals when I first started, try a new move based on the training material on both sides. Learn on your dominant first so that you can have a reference point. Once you get it down packed, train on your non-dominant side until you get that packed and the move on

The important part of this is to have fun like TC Chuan has mentioned and that you're not alone in this, ask questions away. Try a try and practice for a bit until you realize that you can't get it, then ask for help

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 03:16:49 AM »

WOW! Thanks for the replies everyone. Lots to digest here. I will keep you posted as I move forwards. What do you all suggest as a starting point to work on. I do have 2 hilts already (see below) but figured i should get something ultra basic for just training and no mods.

thanks again!

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 07:27:15 AM »

Nice looking sabers you've got there MRG!
Like the leatherwork you did on the V3.

I guess you want a starting point for spinning, not for hilt buying or sparring techniques?

If so the here's my humble suggestion to start spinning:

1st, hold on to your saber.
The, hold on to your saber.
We can do a whole discussion about the way the fingers and hand(s) should be placed around a hilt, but let's not do that. Instead remind yourself to hold on to your saber. Especially during spinning it's sometimes very tempting to let go of your saber so you can get a nicer circle/form. Now think about what would/could happen if it really is a sharp blade... Or if the kids run around...
So hold on to your blade.

Then get comfortable with the balance of your blade. Where is the balance point? Balance it on your hand, in your hand, on your fingers, etc.

And start spinning Cheesy

I would suggest focussing on the the following:

Forward spin right side (right hand)
Forward spin left side (right hand)
Forward spin left side (left hand)
Forward spin right side (left hand)

Same but with a backward spin.

Then 4x right, 4 times left and repeat.

Combine fw. spin into a figure 8 (1 turn right, 1 turn left, repeat)
Combine bw. spin into a figure 8

Combine both fig. 8's into a Fig. 8-set. Meaning 1 fig. 8 forward, turn your body, 1 fig. 8 backward in one continues flow.

Sounds basic, it is basic, but it wil be your foundation, so master it.
Don't focus on speed, focus on proper technique instead.

And again, have fun along the way.

> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 05:06:11 PM »

Nice looking sabers you've got there MRG!
Like the leatherwork you did on the V3.

I guess you want a starting point for spinning, not for hilt buying or sparring techniques?

If so the here's my humble suggestion to start spinning:

1st, hold on to your saber.
The, hold on to your saber.

Then get comfortable with the balance of your blade. Where is the balance point? Balance it on your hand, in your hand, on your fingers, etc.

And start spinning Cheesy

I would suggest focussing on the the following:

Forward spin right side (right hand)
Forward spin left side (right hand)
Forward spin left side (left hand)
Forward spin right side (left hand)

Same but with a backward spin.

Then 4x right, 4 times left and repeat.

Combine fw. spin into a figure 8 (1 turn right, 1 turn left, repeat)
Combine bw. spin into a figure 8

Combine both fig. 8's into a Fig. 8-set. Meaning 1 fig. 8 forward, turn your body, 1 fig. 8 backward in one continues flow.

Sounds basic, it is basic, but it wil be your foundation, so master it.
Don't focus on speed, focus on proper techique instead.

I'm quite pleased with both hilts I bought and customized (one reason I'm considering getting a saber just to knock around) I've also considered just a wooden dowel (saw this on a Michele C Smith vid on YouTube ) and traansfer skills once learned

I've done some super basic beginning spin work and, at some point, would love to find a "master" to work with when I can find some extra time. ha! Until the I'll continue to pick yer brains

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 09:45:39 AM »

You're welcome.
My brain has entire trainingschedules inside, maybe I'll find the time to make one and share it. Problem is describing the different patterns and exercises on paper. English isn't my native language and it's always difficult to explain these things in writing. But hey, that may be an excuse to do some more movie-making.

Anyway, have fun training! Pic's and vids much appreciated!

> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 04:25:35 PM »

You're welcome.
English isn't my native language and it's always difficult to explain these things in writing.

…had me fooled! You're english is just fine. I know what you mean about explaining. Always easier to see or do.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: