Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
Author Topic: Thoughts on The Rise of Skywalker - SPOILERS  (Read 35443 times)
Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 10:20:03 AM »

The real question I'm left with after this movie: whose saber do I get first, Rey or Leia? Leaning Rey because I believe it is a staff

I second that belief that it is a staff. It's modeled from her regular staff.

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 12:26:39 PM »

Kylo Ren's helmet is a metaphor for this trilogy:

The Force Awakens: "Hey I really want to be like the old Star Wars."
The Last Jedi: "Destroy this stupid thing!"
The Rise of Skywalker: "Let's see if I can somehow piece this thing back together..."

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 12:38:48 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duIA538F04s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duIA538F04s</a>

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »

I’mma just leave this here. Names of Sith Trooper detachments, Source “The Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary.” Detachmentsnamed after famous Sith Lords.

Thats really cool! I didnt realize that but nice to see the names graced into canon.

Ray's yellow saber though

Y E S

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 07:47:31 PM »

Two things about the video:
1) JJ Abrams has confirmed that Finn was/is Force Sensitive and this is what he was going tell Rey, not that he loved her
2) How cool is it that they used US saber color chart in the video?  But how disappointing is it they didn't read the Holocron article "The Lore & History Behind the Yellow Lightsaber" to get insight as to why Rey may have chosen yellow for her new blade.  Of course, they also didn't pay much attention to the fact that the light saber hilt was obviously constructed from part of her staff. 

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2019, 09:08:26 PM »

The real question I'm left with after this movie: whose saber do I get first, Rey or Leia? Leaning Rey because I believe it is a staff

Rey for me

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2019, 02:02:06 AM »

Rey's new lightsaber actually looks to be made from her staff from the Force Awakens. Gives me that feel. Leia's lightsaber really looks nice to my eyes and if someone goes to make a version of that i'll really have to find a good excuse to buy one.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2019, 02:32:11 AM »

Rey's new lightsaber actually looks to be made from her staff from the Force Awakens. Gives me that feel. Leia's lightsaber really looks nice to my eyes and if someone goes to make a version of that i'll really have to find a good excuse to buy one.
From the moment I saw Rey's staff in TFA I thought it looked like it was made from lightsaber hilts or parts.  It makes me wonder if her saber was always a part of her staff and she just didn't realize.  Maybe it was built into the staff by her parents in hopes she would find it when the time came.  Just a crazy theory. 

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Majobu5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 0

Agent Zero. No points

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2019, 02:36:08 AM »

So, little movie talk
More saber talk, like when can you get to spend $600 more on a saber..
And, no one is happy... Tis almost 2020... This day and age..

I loved it, personally

Cried 3-4 times. Han and Ben's memory meeting, goddam.. if you've ever had a serious regretful "if I could do that differently, I'd say this" that was it.. my pops next to me was crying, and that man doesn't cry for his own kids!!
So, that was a beautiful moment. Ben redeeming, saving Rey, the kiss, then fading away.. I cried.. I mean, he should probably have lived, but my bigger question was Leia really dead when she supposedly died? Otherwise, was she guiding Ben/kylo to the Light, just to destroy the Sith.. I'm confused on that. They both disappeared together, so, did she take him with her?
And Rey's return to the Lars Farm. Amazing.. burying the sabers, ending the legacy of her master's/adopted family.

All in all, great film. Film critics are snoots, I have choice words for them. Ppl who complain, I mean, just seeking attention most times. Have to be the loudest voice in whatever discussion. I make my own decisions, and I loved it. I didn't totally like the Last Jedi, but I respected the bold approach. But, to me, the film was left in shambles.. how TF was anyone, Rian Johnson himself included, going to finish the last film after The Last Jedi?? That was daunting. . So, I am satisfied, and I would like to see more future projects in the future, no cartoons though.. that kinda crap is too kiddy.. I don't know Ezra, or Janus, or anyone else, and Dgaf either.. stop thinking everyone soaks up everything! The EU stuff is over and dead.. it's a memory now.. let's move on and see what's next!!

No points, just fist bumps baby!

Sani2341
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -39

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2019, 07:20:05 AM »

All in all, great film. Film critics are snoots, I have choice words for them. Ppl who complain, I mean, just seeking attention most times. Have to be the loudest voice in whatever discussion.
Wow. Not sure what to say to this. I am not Begruding anyone their opinion, if you liked the sequels good for you. But calling everyone that didn't like them attentionseekers is about as condecending and toxic as the idiots calling people tha liked the sequels 'not Real Star wars Fans'.

As for myself, i Personaly have lost any faith in getting another good Star wars movie from Disney.
Not only have they reduced the Force from mystical Energy that needs practice and understanding to use/bend to your will into a swissarmy knife of plot Devices, they couldn't even manage to Tell a coherent Story.
Sure ep. 7 Set us up for a New generations conflict and heros journey decently enough. Then 8 threw away most of the characterdevelopment that happened, and ruined Luke imho. While 9 now needs contrevances and barely patched over plot holes to still Not fix what was broken.
Not to mention some General issues with the whole plot of it. A dagger telling people where to find the secret map? Why not write the map itself on the dagger?
Nor the issues with the liberties taken with the force. The ability to heal, the desire for which was half the reason of anakin becoming vader? Pulled out of their behinds as needed.
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg of issues.
Force ghosts interacting with the physical World? Why Do we even need rei at that point? Just let Luke Focus the Jedi and Do the things.

By now i feel EA Managed to Tell a more coherent and compelling Story with three 5 Minute trailers for SWTOR than Disney did with three two hour movies.

All in all, i am quite looking forward to the Finale of the Mandalorian here as well as the New season of clone wars.
But as far as movies are concerned, we have a saying here: "Gebrannter Hund sheut das Feuer".

StupidSexyFlanders
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -34

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2019, 08:53:48 AM »

It was better than TLJ but still had major plot holes. We can bring people back from the dead now and heal things by transferring life force? I understand Rey and Kylo have a force bond or whatever but Rey demonstrates this power on the pit worm too. And they seem to do it with relative ease!

I'm sorry but I was under the impression that Darth Plagueis was one of the only people to be able to this, and he had a life-time of research of the force, and even then in his book he believed that doing such things made the force push back against him. If this is something you can do then the entire plot point of Anakin falling to the darkside to find a way to save Padme is now rendered pointless.

Also Kylo and Rey can bridge their minds at will now? It was specifically stated by Snoke in TLJ that HE was the one bridging their minds. The movie even went out of its way to state how dangerous it would be for anyone but a master of the force to try. A quote from the TLJ from Kylo to Rey: "You're not doing this, the effort would kill you."

I can go on. The movie was rushed and you can tell. The exposition dialogue is cringey and downright awful at some points. It doesn't bother explaining how Palpatine survived, or why Rey was strong enough to kill him just because a bunch of dead Jedi told her to wake up.

This should have been split into two movies. Like I said, better than TLJ but I'd be surprised if I ever watch any of this trilogy ever again. It was completely unnecessary. Literally nothing changed. Rey ended pretty much how she started, except now she's really on Tattoine instead of NotTattoine. Palpatine is "dead" again. The only difference is now Rey is the chosen one apparently.

Zero originality in this trilogy.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2019, 03:06:42 PM »

I've seen a lot of people complain about the healing based powers. My perspective on it is we've seen force heal in *plenty* of EU properties. It is a powerful technique but cant typically bring people back from the dead. Regarding the last scene there's two big reasons that it doesnt interfere with Anakin's fall:

1) Rey and Kylo are a Force Dyad. It is extremely likely that technique cannot be performed to that extent in normal circumstances.

2) And here's the big one - This technique killed the user. Anakin wasnt looking to sacrifice himself for padme - he wanted to bring her back for himself.

Between these two I really dont think that the essence transfer interferes with Anakin's arc (or as one particularly dramatic person i saw put it) "invalidated episodes 1-6".

Plus only a day before the movie released we had baby Yoda using this in the Mandalorian, meaning it is a well-known / intuitive technique, even if its dangerous.

Sani2341
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -39

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2019, 04:09:52 PM »

I've seen a lot of people complain about the healing based powers. My perspective on it is we've seen force heal in *plenty* of EU properties. It is a powerful technique but cant typically bring people back from the dead. Regarding the last scene there's two big reasons that it doesnt interfere with Anakin's fall:

1) Rey and Kylo are a Force Dyad. It is extremely likely that technique cannot be performed to that extent in normal circumstances.

2) And here's the big one - This technique killed the user. Anakin wasnt looking to sacrifice himself for padme - he wanted to bring her back for himself.

Between these two I really dont think that the essence transfer interferes with Anakin's arc (or as one particularly dramatic person i saw put it) "invalidated episodes 1-6".

Plus only a day before the movie released we had baby Yoda using this in the Mandalorian, meaning it is a well-known / intuitive technique, even if its dangerous.

Well first of,the Best healing, at least the Light side Version, could Do in Legends outside game mechanics was make stuff heal faster than normal. I.e. Letting a Set broken bone heal within a day. Which is a very far cry from healing a hole burned through someones intestines.

As for the 'dyad', unless i am completely missremebering TLJ, their 'force bond' Was something Set up and maintained by snoke. Which makes the dyad either a handwave or a retcon. Neither of which is Really that much of an explanation for any of the stuff they pull with the force in this movie. Of which imo the healing is not nearly the worst as it is an old EU Power dialed up to OP fanfic protag levels.

Also it killing the User when used as nearly Full on necromancy doesn't realy matter for ankin's desire to keep padme from dying in the first place.

As for the wee little yodaling. I might be missremebering here, But that was closer to the Legends 'let the body mend itself faster' rather then the RoS's 'this would need serious medical attention to have a Chance to be survived, But lets handwave that because force'.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2019, 04:26:20 PM »

Well first of,the Best healing, at least the Light side Version, could Do in Legends outside game mechanics was make stuff heal faster than normal. I.e. Letting a Set broken bone heal within a day. Which is a very far cry from healing a hole burned through someones intestines.

As for the wee little yodaling. I might be missremebering here, But that was closer to the Legends 'let the body mend itself faster' rather then the RoS's 'this would need serious medical attention to have a Chance to be survived, But lets handwave that because force'.

No, even in some older games it was an on-the-spot heal. Same with baby yoda - he pushed venom/poison out of Karga's body in seconds.

As for the 'dyad', unless i am completely missremebering TLJ, their 'force bond' Was something Set up and maintained by snoke. Which makes the dyad either a handwave or a retcon. Neither of which is Really that much of an explanation for any of the stuff they pull with the force in this movie. Of which imo the healing is not nearly the worst as it is an old EU Power dialed up to OP fanfic protag levels.

The original bond was - however whether the bond caused the dyad to form  - or if Rey and Kylo had a pre-existing latent connection that was fully awakened by the bond is up for debate. Meetra Surik / Darth Traya comes to mind.

Also regarding force heal, I looked up the wiki article for the legends counterpart, and Kylo and Rey's exchange is well within the norm, surprisingly, theres even a couple instances of straight up resurrection.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Force_healing/Legends

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2019, 05:13:16 PM »

Kylo Ren's helmet is a metaphor for this trilogy:

The Force Awakens: "Hey I really want to be like the old Star Wars."
The Last Jedi: "Destroy this stupid thing!"
The Rise of Skywalker: "Let's see if I can somehow piece this thing back together..."
I'd give you more points, but can't today.

Initial verdict after first viewing:

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: