Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Darth Revan confirmed cannon???  (Read 2890 times)
StupidSexyFlanders
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -34

« on: December 25, 2019, 07:17:08 AM »

IF there is one silver lining for me about Rise of Skywalker it is this. The visual guide lists the Sith trooper legions and their names, and says they are so named after ancient sith lords.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 07:29:53 PM »

Yes and no, the name and the fact that it is connected with being a Sith Lord is now Canon, but as far as anything else regarding the character they'd have to bring it into the Canon universe to have anything concrete. Still, it's a start.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 05:53:12 AM »

Saso is exactly correct. The person who wrote the visual library that "canonizes" Revan (Pablo Hidalgo) has indicated his desire in the past to bring the character into current canon. However, it is VERY HIGHLY UNLIKELY (and by that I mean it almost certainly will NOT be ) "Revan" as seen in SWTOR or the novel. So was Revan the name a Sith Lord of the past? Yes. And that's about all we have confirmed on that matter.

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

StupidSexyFlanders
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -34

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 07:18:14 AM »

If Disney has the audacity to canonize a Darth Revan that has nothing to do with one of the most beloved EU characters then they really are just sh*tting on the fans at this point.  If they choose not to go that route then they need to just come up with their own names. But we all know Disney doesn't have any originality so I actually wouldn't be surprised.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 05:34:48 PM »

If Disney has the audacity to canonize a Darth Revan that has nothing to do with one of the most beloved EU characters then they really are just sh*tting on the fans at this point.  If they choose not to go that route then they need to just come up with their own names. But we all know Disney doesn't have any originality so I actually wouldn't be surprised.

STRONG opposition to this. Darth Revan is one of the most controversial characters in the entire fandom because of what was pulled late in the EU game for the character and here stands the opportunity to mend a tremendous flaw that was made. There will ALWAYS be people who disregard the Disney canon versions of characters, but I for one have high hopes for what is to come regarding the character; things I’ve strongly suspected since Celebration Chicago which, while this doesn’t completely confirm them, it does strengthen them—and no, it’s not the rumors of an Old Republic trilogy based on that misquote of an interview with Kathleen Kennedy—my own experiences that caused my suspicions are far more direct, and I’m unsure how much of them I’m technically allowed to know or to repeat. Long story short, I suspect any telling of Revan’s story will be closer to what we’ve seen in KOTOR and KOTOR 2 and perhaps to some extent Dark Horse Comics, and will deviate greatly from the 2011 novel and SWTOR.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 05:36:50 PM »

STRONG opposition to this. Darth Revan is one of the most controversial characters in the entire fandom because of what was pulled late in the EU game for the character and here stands the opportunity to mend a tremendous flaw that was made. There will ALWAYS be people who disregard the Disney canon versions of characters, but I for one have high hopes for what is to come regarding the character; things I’ve strongly suspected since Celebration Chicago which, while this doesn’t completely confirm them, it does strengthen them—and no, it’s not the rumors of an Old Republic trilogy based on that misquote of an interview with Kathleen Kennedy—my own experiences that caused my suspicions are far more direct, and I’m unsure how much of them I’m technically allowed to know or to repeat. Long story short, I suspect any telling of Revan’s story will be closer to what we’ve seen in KOTOR and KOTOR 2 and perhaps to some extent Dark Horse Comics, and will deviate greatly from the 2011 novel and SWTOR.

I'd be eager to see what they could do with Revan's character. Given that in the first game he was the PC, that leaves a lot of room for how they want his personality to be fleshed out.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 07:05:40 PM »

I'd be eager to see what they could do with Revan's character. Given that in the first game he was the PC, that leaves a lot of room for how they want his personality to be fleshed out.

indeed it does. I highly doubt they would create a continuance that "disrespects the character" because there's so much that the character can be, and it's in their best interest to well with the character. Pablo Hidalgo has indicated his own desire for Revan to be canon for years now, so if Revan's continuity is left in his hands (again, he's the one who wrote the IX Visual reference library) I have high hopes.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 11:11:02 PM »

I'd like to point out that in a way, Revan has always been canon (even with Disney). Everything that was not a movie or tv show before Disney bought Star Wars is now considered "Legends". Why would they call them "Legends" instead of "non-canon", well because as they have said, every legend is based on truth. So while the Revan that we all know may not be exactly what the Canon version of Revan is/will be, there will be some strong similarities.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 01:21:08 AM »

I'd like to point out that in a way, Revan has always been canon (even with Disney). Everything that was not a movie or tv show before Disney bought Star Wars is now considered "Legends". Why would they call them "Legends" instead of "non-canon", well because as they have said, every legend is based on truth. So while the Revan that we all know may not be exactly what the Canon version of Revan is/will be, there will be some strong similarities.

Revan will be Revan. That being said, again, from additional sources I've been around before this. I'm 99.99% certain we will NOT be seeing the Revan from the 2011 novel.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 06:23:53 PM »

I always figured the Legends being "based on truth" was more to placate an irate fanbase than actually being how they viewed it, but I could be way off there. Just seemed like a softer, gentler way of saying that all the cool storylines and characters you've known, read about, and played with are just mythological characters in a way.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 11:25:19 PM »

I always figured the Legends being "based on truth" was more to placate an irate fanbase than actually being how they viewed it, but I could be way off there. Just seemed like a softer, gentler way of saying that all the cool storylines and characters you've known, read about, and played with are just mythological characters in a way.

Yes, sometimes, as is the case in this particular instance, there is more than one legends continuity. Legends are "based on truth" but can be told in many ways. Sometimes the same legend can be told across multiple platforms, and while it is the same story with the same underlying currents, specific details, and occasionally large plot points can be told differently across versions. Non-Star Wars example, look at the story of Cinderella. there are different "Cinderella" stories in many cultures, and while they all have the same underlying themes, the specific details are sometimes drastically different.

In the case of "Star Wars Legends", There's a lot of good, and a lot of bad, and ideally, they are trying to bring back the good parts in the best way possible to enhance their own continuity while still paying tribute to the old. In the case of Revan, it's something that's just been a question of "how" for a long time now.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 02:32:25 AM »

In the case of "Star Wars Legends", There's a lot of good, and a lot of bad, and ideally, they are trying to bring back the good parts in the best way possible to enhance their own continuity while still paying tribute to the old. In the case of Revan, it's something that's just been a question of "how" for a long time now.

I know Logos probably won't agree with me, but I honestly think that they only way someone could do Revan in canon and most Revan fans be okay with it is if Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau were heading it up. Having Sam Witwer, Warwick Davis and a couple others in the SW family around could probably help too. Of course Dave would make him a bit more . . . I don't want to say kid friendly, but lighter maybe? but I think he has the ability to make Revan something pretty close to what he was (and yes, I do know that Revan could be a female, just usually pictured as a male).

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »

I know Logos probably won't agree with me, but I honestly think that they only way someone could do Revan in canon and most Revan fans be okay with it is if Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau were heading it up. Having Sam Witwer, Warwick Davis and a couple others in the SW family around could probably help too. Of course Dave would make him a bit more . . . I don't want to say kid friendly, but lighter maybe? but I think he has the ability to make Revan something pretty close to what he was (and yes, I do know that Revan could be a female, just usually pictured as a male).

Honestly, I think Filoni would be a bad choice. We've seen his cut clip using Revan and it seems to not really grasp the character. It's entirely possible that's because it was a trash context concept (I mean, the fact that George Lucas himself cut it because it didn't make sense and didn't fit how the Force works). I'd LOVE if they got David Gaider and Chris Avellone in on any writing. It's unlikely it would happen, but one can dream lol

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 01:48:28 AM »

Yes, sometimes, as is the case in this particular instance, there is more than one legends continuity. Legends are "based on truth" but can be told in many ways. Sometimes the same legend can be told across multiple platforms, and while it is the same story with the same underlying currents, specific details, and occasionally large plot points can be told differently across versions. Non-Star Wars example, look at the story of Cinderella. there are different "Cinderella" stories in many cultures, and while they all have the same underlying themes, the specific details are sometimes drastically different.

I love the illusion to Revan as a bedtime story, almost something they would tell little younglings before bed. The character is that prolific indeed, and it's well said as a point of reference for others to grasp how "the story" is open to some interpretation. Anyone who's played KOTOR all the way through once could see the appeal. And I felt the book did a pretty good job of "fleshing out" the story and going from there. It's a lot like Shepard in Mass Effect, after game 1. Certain assumptions must be made to move forward, filling in the blanks of theoretical choices and making them concrete with "preferred outcomes" that preserve a canon universe it coincides with. I can't say I trust Disney even slightly with this, but that said, for many years I've agreed this is almost a no brainer. Revan is already "canonized as a legend" to so many fans. With a fanbase as widespread, and a character of such depth and likability, it's a serious cash cow. IF they made 3 movies, the potential there is titanic. With basically a "prequel" to main story to establish the character and events before KOTOR in 1st movie, 2nd movie using KOTOR as mostly the script for the screenplay, and 3rd movie being the book Revan... IMO it would have been a wiser play than current Episodes VII-IX (doing a prequel series of Revan instead). Titanic being the operative term, the possibility for epic success seems almost inevitable but also horrific failure. One bad writer as ship captain, and Disney as the Iceberg could make for one nightmare made canon (again). That said, and in keeping with the metaphor, Keanu Reeves would make a fantastic Jack IMO. I could accept him as Revan, was that real; him being tossed around as a great potential candidate to play the character? Not that I'd disagree with and don't love female versions of the character, in fact I find them enthralling, but the male version leaves the story open to such a great outcome! (anyone familiar with the stories above gets why this is the case but I tried soooo hard to steer clear of SPOILER dropping whatsoever. I feel the character deserves that respect. Everyone should play through and experience it first hand if a gamer & SW fan.) Revan has to be in my top all time 3, across every SWU.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: