Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Motorcycle Theory Test  (Read 13838 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »

Yeah. I've seen some comments on some forums where established members bash newbies and make them feel small/uncomfortable. Rather than sharing their knowledge and helping noobs.

I am thinking of getting a Triumph Bonneville, but there are some older riders who have been around since the 1960s who have a well-defined sense of what biking is, how bikes should look and how bikers should act. They fail to realise that there is a new generation of riders of there who are modern in their approach, likes and wants.

Exactly. We all like what we like, we have preferences, and things that we don't like. I think people lose sight of what things like riding is all about and try to force their ideas and belief towards others.  I like all bikes but prefer my sports bike and a sports cruiser but some only like sports bikes while others only like cruisers which if fine, just don't try to make others feel bad for what they like.

New generation of riders means new bikes, new tech, and new ways of riding and style

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2019, 07:07:26 PM »

The last one I rode was over 40 years ago, and it was a Honda QA-50

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2019, 09:47:24 PM »

I had a friend at work ask me if I was gonna get a Harley once I got my full motorcycle licence. He seemed almost offended when I said no, because Harleys are great in a straight line, but not that great at cornering. Riding in London, we have lots of 90 degree turns to make on a bike, so having a bike that can handle that is kinda essential.

Funny thing is, this individual is not a biker. His dad was (who incidentally used to own a Harley). But he somehow took it personally that I wasn't even considering one. Even after I explained my reasons why. If I was gonna be doing a lot of motorway riding, I may have considered a Harley. But for the kind of riding I'll be doing, it just doesn't make sense. Plus, Harley's aren't exactly the best on fuel consumption either. But they are iconic and beautiful to look at. And the engine sounds amazing.

This is partially why I don't want a sports bike. I'll never be able to ride it too it's full potential during the week. Okay, come weekends I could put it through it's paces, but I'm the kind of rider that is content to have a beautiful looking bike that I can look cool on, and is comfortable to sit on while pootling along at 50, 60 or 70 mph.

Question to you other bike riders, do you put earplugs in when you're on the motorway or do you put in earphones and listen to music? Me, I go the earphone route, cos I have loads of tunes of my phone. I set it to random and just enjoy some vibes in the sun on my bike!

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 12:34:23 AM »

You do know Harley makes Sportsters that are higher set than the Dynas or Softails and can corner like a sports bike? They also make the Street which comes in 500 or 700cc models depending where and get better fuel mileage made for urban riders.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 11:48:23 AM »

No offense to any Harley owners, just about every Harley owner that I come across spends xxxx amounts of money and time in the shop because something is broken or needs to be replaced.  They remind me of Suzuki GSXR's or the Triumph and Aprillia sportsbikes, just spends a lot of time at the shop. I'm sure there are bikes that hardly need anything replaced but this is just my experience with those that I ride with

I put earplugs in every times that I ride, I used to use headphones but my ears would still ring so it's earplugs all the way for me. Want to protect what hearing I have left! Lol.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2019, 11:59:01 AM »

I put earplugs in every times that I ride, I used to use headphones but my ears would still ring so it's earplugs all the way for me. Want to protect what hearing I have left! Lol.
How loud are your pipes? Actually, come to think sboyr it, are there any regulations on how loud exhausts are legally supposed to be? We have decibel regulations in the UK, especially for after market pipes and for people who take the baffle out. You can get stopped by police if the pipe are too loud and given a warning (or worst case a fine if you're a repeat offender).

Currently my bike is a nice e volume so ai don't need to wear earplugs on my daily ride. The earphones only come out for long journeys out of London. I tried listening to music while in London once, but found it too distracting. Felt very uncomfortable around all that traffic so I never listen to music while on the bike in London anymore.

You do know Harley makes Sportsters that are higher set than the Dynas or Softails and can corner like a sports bike?
To be honest, I have never really looked into the Harley range because of personal preference. Plus, I don't want to "corner like a sportsbike".

No offense to any Harley owners, just about every Harley owner that I come across spends xxxx amounts of money and time in the shop because something is broker or needs to be replaced.
This is something I've heard. And as my bike is my main mode of transport, through all kinds of weather, I need something reliable that will be on the road all the time, unless it's having a service.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2019, 12:37:41 PM »

How loud are your pipes? Actually, come to think sboyr it, are there any regulations on how loud exhausts are legally supposed to be? We have decibel regulations in the UK, especially for after market pipes and for people who take the baffle out. You can get stopped by police if the pipe are too loud and given a warning (or worst case a fine if you're a repeat offender).

Currently my bike is a nice e volume so ai don't need to wear earplugs on my daily ride. The earphones only come out for long journeys out of London. I tried listening to music while in London once, but found it too distracting. Felt very uncomfortable around all that traffic so I never listen to music while on the bike in London anymore.

Mine isn't too bad, I don't really like loud bikes. Heck, my engine's loud enough in my opinion. I wear hearing aid because it's the wind noise and other excessive noise that makes a rider deaf later in age. I rather not become deaf and want to protect my hearing while still being able to hear what I need to while on the road

This is something I've heard. And as my bike is my main mode of transport, through all kinds of weather, I need something reliable that will be on the road all the time, unless it's having a service.

The running joke for Harley owners that I know is HD stands for hundred dollars meaning that each visit will equate to that.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2019, 03:33:23 PM »

Mine isn't too bad, I don't really like loud bikes. Heck, my engine's loud enough in my opinion. I wear hearing aid because it's the wind noise and other excessive noise that makes a rider deaf later in age.
My helmet is pretty quiet in regards to wind noise. I can hear traffic, which is useful. But, as 99% of my riding is inside London, I never go fast enough or have open roads where wind noise would be a factor. Earphones with music definitely useful for blocking wind noise too (although I'd never thought about it until you mentioned it).

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2020, 12:18:51 AM »

Congrats on passing your Theory test, Lord Knox. Riding is by far my favored means of transportation. And btw, you can't make a post like this without a pic of your bike.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 03:29:27 PM »

Congrats on passing your Theory test, Lord Knox. Riding is by far my favored means of transportation. And btw, you can't make a post like this without a pic of your bike.

What do you ride, Ultra?

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2020, 05:23:44 PM »

What do you ride, Ultra?

BMW R1200GSA

You?

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 10:09:43 AM »

In an effort to keep my mind/myself occupied I had my Mod 1 lesson yesterday. It went well and I have the Mod 1 test Thursday morning. This video explains what happens during the test. You are allowed 5 "minors" during the test. 1 major (such as hitting a cone, putting your foot down during the u-turn or going over the lines during the u-turn is an instant fail).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3bVhFzTMHo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3bVhFzTMHo</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXAruQCpsKU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXAruQCpsKU</a>

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2020, 12:22:42 PM »

BMW R1200GSA

You?

Beautiful bike you have there, Ultra!  Always been a fan of dual sports

As for me, I have a Kawasaki ZX10R with a House of Kolors Chameleon paint

Before that, I had a CBR600RR that I bought brand new and turbocharged it the next year. Was a fun bike on the track

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:55:45 PM by Infinit01 » Logged

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 07:20:02 PM »

Keep it up, Knox, you'll be riding in no time!

Beautiful bikes, Infinite!

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2020, 08:55:58 PM »

Thanks, Ultra!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print