Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: UltraSabers Dark Apprentice LE v5 review  (Read 5132 times)
Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 06:14:37 AM »

I like this saber,  even though I think it's a bit to small for me.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 10:39:22 AM »

Dominix v5 is the next size up at 12.5 inches overall length, but those................claws, are an irritant, since the points are quite sharp and are right at the upper choke point. The Sentinel v5 don't have the claws, but are slightly longer at 13.25 inches.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 12:47:52 PM »

Dominix v5 is the next size up at 12.5 inches overall length, but those................claws, are an irritant, since the points are quite sharp and are right at the upper choke point. The Sentinel v5 don't have the claws, but are slightly longer at 13.25 inches.
Those claws can be popped off and flipped so that they aren't pointing into the choke point.
But I still think the Sentinel v5 is better. It may be 13.25 inches, but considering emitter windows go down about 3 inches deep, that gives you a proper 10.25 inches on hilt to grip.
IMO, you shouldn't hold it at the windows anyway since they should be venting plasma from the saber. So the longer hilt isn't really longer, it just has and decorative section over the base of the blade.

-

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 07:20:07 PM »

Hi, folks!  I got this as part of the 2019 Halloween Giveaway sale, and I just didn’t get around to reviewing it until today.  Sorry for the delay, but here is my short (about seven and a half minutes) review of the Dark Apprentice LE v5 in Adegan Silver.  (Yes, I know I said it ran on four DOUBLE-A batteries instead of four TRIPLE-A batteries.  I’m sorry.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ban3QWMnVCs#

And by the way, what is the correct pronunciation?  AD-uh-gun?  ah-DEE-gun?  Something else entirely?  Please help.

The TL;DW version is as follows:
Specs:
The hilt is 10” or 25.4 cm long from stem to stern, as listed on the UltraSabers website.  The hilt is 1.45” in diameter, also as listed on the UltraSabers website.  My measurements confirm both these listings, within the tolerances of my measuring tools.  (Gee, what a shock, right?  The folks with the machining specifications know what the measurements are!).   Given my setup of stunt configuration with a 24-inch Adegan Silver UltraEdge MidGrade blade and 4xAAA power source, the weight was 17-1/2 oz, or 498g.

Impressions:
This doesn’t match the order I mentioned these things in the video, but I was really impressed by the v5 re-design in general, and the silver and black color scheme of the Dark Apprentice LE in particular. 

The fact that the windowed emitter is now standard, and that the v5 windows align with the main axis of the cylinder instead of being perpendicular to it as in the v4, REALLY make the blade color “pop” through the body of the hilt, and that just looks SO COOL to me!  I don’t care what color blade you put in there, the group of three longitudinal windows really show off the light nicely, with the silver inner border and the black all around the outside.  I’ve used several (nearly all) of the color discs I ordered with the blade, and it doesn’t matter what color the blade is, those windows really show it off well.  I took the advice of several folks on here and ordered a LEE color filter swatch book, and when I get the 1” round punch from the craft store, I’ll start playing with those, too.  UltraSabers did a really good job of balancing the black and silver on this hilt; like I say in the video, this hilt would not look the slightest bit out of place as part of the livery for the Guard for the City of Gondor.

Speaking of the windows in the emitter, I do need to mention the part about how some folks have complained that the edges here are too sharp.  I can definitely see where the precisely-cut edges could tear up your hands if you grip the hilt at what is undeniably a natural choke point.  If you do a lot of spinning, I hear that this would be the natural spot to grab.  Since I don’t spin (at least, not yet), I don’t hold the saber there; I hold it lower, whether I’m using one hand or two, so to me, this is not an issue, but I definitely see where other folks are coming from on this.  So if you DO grab the saber there, I suggest what I have seen other folks suggest; either wear gloves, or file/grind down the corners a little bit.  On the black parts, that means you’ll get a little extra thin spot of silver, so it ain’t all bad, as they say.

Keeping with the black and silver appearance, but moving further down the hilt towards the pommel, we reach the ribbed portion of the hilt, and this is just NUTS!  The top set of ribs is a set of five fairly wide v-shaped grooves set JUST far enough apart that there is a thin black line in between each, so you have four ridges in the middle of these five grooves.  Below the switch, this pattern is repeated with 20 grooves and 19 ridges.  At the points of a six-pointed star (symbol of the Empire, anyone?), the ridges have been sliced flat, leaving a “pointed-oval,” or lens-shaped flat spot that, even though it is NOT anodized black, but is actually silver, almost always looks like it’s black.  Holy optics, Batman!  I don’t know if this is what they were trying to do or not, but that is one visually impressive feat!  Every time I pick up this hilt, I marvel at that just a little bit.

The AV switch is just plain cool; there’s no two ways about it.  The thing is nearly silent, especially as compared to the protected switch, and the fact that it is a “forward-clicky”-style switch means that you can momentarily activate the blade by half-pressing the switch, which allows for some neat effects, if you have a talented finger or thumb.  (Morse code, anyone?)  Even though the default is a NON-illuminated switch, this is a very nice upgrade to have as standard with the V5 hilts.  I opted not to upgrade to the illuminated version, and I’m quite happy with the results.  I now have two sabers with the AV switch, and the other one is illuminated.  I’m pretty sure I will always opt for the AV switch, even if I need to pay for it (which is not required on any V5 hilt), but the decision to have an illuminated AV switch or not will depend on the saber; both options have their advantages.

All in all, I have to say that I am very pleased with this saber, and I look forward to it earning some battle scars as I use it.

Great vid, Cyclops!  I have the Apprentice v4 for my offand shoto and was seriously thinking of getting the v5 in the near future.  I'm partial to the illuminate AV switches myself, at least for the dual-wielding set that I favor  Wink

Wonderful job!  Point!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 09:55:30 PM »

Great vid, Cyclops!  I have the Apprentice v4 for my offand shoto and was seriously thinking of getting the v5 in the near future.  I'm partial to the illuminate AV switches myself, at least for the dual-wielding set that I favor  Wink

Wonderful job!  Point!

Thanks for the compliment and the point.  Smiley

I opted for the non-illuminated AV switch on this one for a couple reasons.  The first was simply to minimize the cost; I needed an $80 saber to reach the next prize level, and this fit the bill; the $4 for the color discs was a must-have, but the extra for the illuminated switch was more than was necessary.  Another reason was because I had no other sabers with an AV switch (other than the Azure Fallen, which I got with a blue-illuminated AV switch), so I was curious to see what the difference was.  I agree, the illuminated switch looks lots cooler, but you have to be picky about what color you’ll use, especially if your blade is going to change colors.  With the Azure Fallen, even though I got a Diamond controller (and therefore can and will change blade colors on a whim), I could easily decide to match the color of the AV switch’s illumination to the body of the hilt, so that was easy.  With the Adegan Silver blade (and nobody has yet told me the right way to pronounce that) and a black/silver hilt, I think I’d have to go with white, or no illumination, but that’s just me.  Most folks don’t consult me for fashion or color-matching advice, with good reason; I’m unimaginative on that score.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 10:26:33 PM »

I think that's a good call in the illuminated switch.  The Sentinel/Apprentice V5s have such generous windows, that I feel an illuminated switch would just get lost.

-

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2020, 10:44:25 PM »

(and nobody has yet told me the right way to pronounce that)

I'm going to take a stab here bc now you have ME curious also.

Adegan crystals come from the planet Adega, which is pronounced ah day guh
I'm guessing therefore it would be ah day guhn?

Anyone else wanta take a stab at it?

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2020, 10:48:38 PM »

I'm going to take a stab here bc now you have ME curious also.

Adegan crystals come from the planet Adega, which is pronounced ah day guh
I'm guessing therefore it would be ah day guhn?

Anyone else wanta take a stab at it?

Seems perfectly reasonable to me, but now I have to ask... how do we know this?  What’s the source?

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2020, 10:57:04 PM »

Seems perfectly reasonable to me, but now I have to ask... how do we know this?  What’s the source?

Check both the "canon" and "legends" options.  I really do wish there was more continuity in the 'verse.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Adegan_crystal

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: