Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 1512 times)
Yoma
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -7

« on: December 30, 2019, 06:36:37 PM »

Hey there,
I do hope this is right part of the forum to ask this

I got my Dominicide some weeks back and have been thinking of getting a second saber but I have some questions, in case anyone can answer them ( I already tried searching for them, but didn't have the answers that I needed or quite different answers) :

1. So I'm looking at getting a Dark Initiate V5 with Diamond because I like the design and a lot of people say it's good for spinning! If I get it with the standard pommel with the hole in the bottom, could the battery + electronics fall out during dueling?

2. A lot of people said that a Diamond Saber isn't really for dueling or not for heavy dueling, but what would you exactly specify as heavy dueling? Or would you recommend not dueling with them at all?
I'm just careful since that's a lot of money I'd be spending on getting a Diamond one haha..

3. Do "claws" usually tend to fall off? For example the ones at the emitter of the Dark Initiate v5 , if you could call these "claws".

4. Not really concerning my second purchase but does anyone have an idea on how to fix broken Dominicide claws?
I emailed Marlena and she just told me she'd send emitters with a different design to me, meaning I'd have to diy fix the claw that fell off in case I wanna keep the Dominicide claws (which I want).

I'd appreciate any answers!

dark side points, if any
Dominicide BR Obs V4
Aeon LE v4 GB Obs V3 (MB)
Standard Issue BR (MB)
Dark Apprentice V4 CG (MB)

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 06:59:03 PM »

1 No the electronics cannot fall out the open hole pommels. It may be possible for the AAA battery pack of a stunt (hence "Not recommended " in the listings) but the speaker holder in a sound saber is wider than the opening.

2 The Diamond controller is a pretty high end electronic. Any electronics can be susceptible to vibration damage. The more advanced they get the higher the risk of something failing with repeated shaking and impacts.

3 Claws don't tend to fall of too easily but since they are just pinned on it is possible. The pins can be reinforced with some glue.

4 The picture looks like your claw fell off and took the pin with it. That looks like a common role pin. Those use spring tension and a tight fit to friction hold pieces. They are fairly common and should be available through a good hardware store. You could also use a bit of glue to hold it in. Make sure to use something that remains flexible so it doesn't crack back out again due to vibrations while using the saber.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 07:24:09 PM »

4 The picture looks like your claw fell off and took the pin with it. That looks like a common role pin. Those use spring tension and a tight fit to friction hold pieces. They are fairly common and should be available through a good hardware store. You could also use a bit of glue to hold it in. Make sure to use something that remains flexible so it doesn't crack back out again due to vibrations while using the saber.

Would thread-locking fluid (like Loctite 243 or something) be good here?  Or a tiny bit of epoxy?

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 07:31:38 PM »

Epoxy might but might be too strong. Thread locker not so much,  no threads.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 07:47:45 PM »

I don't have a diamond saber, but I have a few obsidian v4 sabers.  In my experience the battery holder for the premium setups holds up better than the triple a battery setups.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 08:46:22 PM »

To add on Q2: All sabers and parts from Ultrasabers (except for the Archon v3.1 emitter) are designed to withstand full-contact sparring. This also includes electronic parts like the boards, switches, Recharge Ports etc. that (unless it's a badly manufactured part, which can also happen) are very unlikely to break or get damaged in duels.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 08:55:13 PM »

To add on Q2: All sabers and parts from Ultrasabers (except for the Archon v3.1 emitter) are designed to withstand full-contact sparring. This also includes electronic parts like the boards, switches, Recharge Ports etc. that (unless it's a badly manufactured part, which can also happen) are very unlikely to break or get damaged in duels.

I have much different experience. The details are immaterial but lets just say there is a reason I stopped dueling with sound sabers. 5 for 5. But then I do duel like a beast which is also the reason I only duel with Ultrasabers.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 09:03:35 PM »

Okay...I have an Emerald with sound and three others only with sound and never had problems Undecided The boards are fine, and the packs...did that happen to all of your sabers?

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 09:20:26 PM »

Okay...I have an Emerald with sound and three others only with sound and never had problems Undecided The boards are fine, and the packs...did that happen to all of your sabers?

Oh goodness no. I have several that are fine including one of my oldest which is Emerald as well and over 5 years old. But all of the ones I have used for serious dueling it has. Everything from bent USB plugs to a sound like the speaker is blown,  to one that wouldn't turn off as long as the batteries were installed (not the switch, it turned itself on if I put batteries back in and didn't have the continuous one and off cycle of a sticky switch). I already changed that speaker and if i swap the board to one with a normal sounding one the sounds go with the respective boards. That one happened on a particularly rough impact three years ago, the sound changed immediately, but it is still in use.

I  just pop new boards in since that's easy. Its usually a good time to upgrade to V4 since only 1 started that way.

There is nothing wrong with the boards but i prefer to err on the side of caution, especially when offering advice about high3r end stuff.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 09:23:19 PM »

Oh yeah... Ive had the same experience with all the major dueling rated / combat grade saber brands. Maybe i just play too rough.

But at least using Ultrasabers I've never broken a hilt as I've seen from other brands.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 10:32:12 AM »

Understood Grin Nasty things that happened to your sabers...actually, two of mine are acting weird as well. They turn on out of nowhere, even late at night. And they weren't nearly as beaten up as yours...I think I will rewire all of them to accept a kill key Tongue Especially since my Emerald has a green Always On AV switch.

Sig by Master Nero

Yoma
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 09:53:18 PM »

Alright thank you all for the help!

About the Diamond controller: I might just not get one right now then, maybe just some MB and try to pull some there for a lower price. Wouldn't be able to repair anything once I'm back at my Uni accommodation, so yea I think i'll just go for MB.

So about Q4 : I first tried getting the pin out and with no success. Then I tried using the strongest glue that usually works but it fell off after a few days of using it.
I got a suggestion of someone that said he got the claws in by putting the emitter in a vise with wood shims(so that the claws don't get damaged) . So I'm gonna try that next!

I've got a new question though! So I waited for the raffle, since I saw that there was a big winter raffle last year, but I just wasn't quite sure about the shipping.
So if I order my sabers now and put the raffle code in there + my forum name , could my order ship before the raffle ends or would it "wait" until it is over?

I mean seeing how many orders they're still behind on and now doing a raffle, I'm not sure it would ship this month either way, but I just wasn't quite sure how it THEORETICALLY would go.

Would appreciate any answers!

dark side points, if any
Dominicide BR Obs V4
Aeon LE v4 GB Obs V3 (MB)
Standard Issue BR (MB)
Dark Apprentice V4 CG (MB)

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 10:20:45 PM »

Usually for raffles, your order ships when the raffle ends, with whatever prize you may have won. Which makes sense since it saves on shipping costs for US.

From the official announcement thread ( http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=43433.0 ) :
Prizes will be shipped to the same shipping address on the order # with the winning raffle ticket and will ship with your order once the raffle ends.  If the winning order is on BACKORDER then that will also delay the shipping of the prize.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: