Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Questions about batteries  (Read 1224 times)
Cranzeeman
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 05, 2020, 05:10:21 PM »

I recently bought a used saber off a friend (monarch, blue blade, obsidian sound card) and it is set up for 4xAAA alkaline batteries. if i were inclined to do so, how difficult would it be to convert the hilt to use the Lithium batteries on this site?

Monarch, blue blade

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 05:34:44 PM »

Its not too hard but don't know why you'd want to. You can more easily get some rechargeable AAAs and get a good run time. If you switch it to the Li-Ion then you can only use Li-Ion which can be hard to find if you got to an event and forgot your charger. If you stick with AAAs you can find spares anywhere in a pinch.

If you do change it make sure to check the resistors to be sure not to overdrive you LED too hard. The Li-Ions run at 7.4 volts where the AAAs run at 6.
I'd also e-mail US to try to verify the board can handle the extra 1.4 volts without burning something.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 08:07:50 PM »

If it were me I'd stick with the AAA batteries.  In fact, half of my stunt sabers use AAA and the other half the Li-Ion setup.  I use Eneloop Pro rechargeable batteries in my AAA setups.  They last far longer than the Li-Ion setups.  My one saber with sound that uses AAA batteries also lasts longer than others with sound have that have the Li-Ion setup. 

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 08:11:44 PM »

I agree that AAAs are easy to find but so are 18650 batteries nowadays since smoke shops keeps stock of them for vapes and they're everywhere.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 09:13:07 PM »

Just make sure to know what youre getting if shopping for batteries at vape shops. Not all are protected and not all are good quality.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 10:02:39 PM »

Agreed which is why you should always buy ones made by reputable companies that isn't a cheap Chinese knockoff

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 03:48:59 AM »

I recently bought a used saber off a friend (monarch, blue blade, obsidian sound card) and it is set up for 4xAAA alkaline batteries. if i were inclined to do so, how difficult would it be to convert the hilt to use the Lithium batteries on this site?
One other very serious thing to take into account.
Chances are, that if you have sound, and a 4xAAA setup, you're actually running the Obsidian LITE board, which is designed for the 6 volts from the 4xAAA and not for the 7.4 volts from the L-Ion setup
You could very easily overload the soundboard if you up the voltage like that

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 11:59:04 AM »

Just wanted to say that as well. If you convert the battery setup to Li-Ion, you'd also have to change the board type to either Obsidian v3 or v4. Lite is only designed for the 4xAAA setup.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 07:55:40 PM »

Agreed which is why you should always buy ones made by reputable companies that isn't a cheap Chinese knockoff

Just make sure to know what youre getting if shopping for batteries at vape shops. Not all are protected and not all are good quality.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!  I don’t care what lithium-ion batteries you buy (and like has been advised here, don’t try to convert to  that battery chemistry if you have an Obsidian Lite board), MAKE SURE YOU BUY THEM FROM A REPUTABLE SOURCE!  They can be dangerous if they are treated poorly or made cheaply, and that’s not a risk you want to take.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: