Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Mixing parts: Sentinel v5 with Dark Apprentice v5  (Read 4787 times)
chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2020, 09:35:16 PM »

I can't find the vid at the moment, but I am not talking about an MHS emitter. If you take the blade retention screw completely out, the emitter window "sleeve" can slip out.  A Dark Apprentice (non-LE) would have a black sleeve and an Sentinel LE would have a gold sleeve, for example.
That is what I intend to swap

Cyclops, I know you have a Dark Apprentice LE, just do as above and you should be able to remove your silver sleeve

EDIT: Found it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sppeiTmocU&t=651s

-

Glad my reviews inspire people. Point inbound.

Here's an old pic of the swapped sleeves between my Sentinel LE v5, Dark Sentinel LE v5 and Dark Apprentice v5:

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2020, 09:45:13 PM »

Glad my reviews inspire people. Point inbound.

Here's an old pic of the swapped sleeves between my Sentinel LE v5, Dark Sentinel LE v5 and Dark Apprentice v5:

Oh, cool.   Glad I could share a forum member's video. That's a great photo, BTW.
First saber from L to R is what mine should look like, but with a black switch and black in the choke point below the switch (electric tape)
7th from L to R should be what my wife's looks like, but with a silver switch

Thanx for the proof of concept! point inbound

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2020, 10:40:33 PM »

Ooooh, I really like the sixth one from the left, the LE with the gold “window sleeve” inside; it looks like a really good addition for my wife’s mixed-fandom cosplay for Hufflepuff Jedi (which, by the way, really doesn’t excite her nearly as much as it does me).

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 11:00:16 PM »

Hufflepuff Jedi you say? Brilliant.  That's actually prefect for my wife as well.  This Halloween I went as my Jedi persona, my oldest went as a young Obi-wan, my youngest as a Resistance pilot and my wife....a Hufflepuff.
Giving her a Yellow/Black saber and saying it's a Hufflepuff saber will be a nice touch

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 11:39:43 PM »

Hufflepuff Jedi you say? Brilliant.  That's actually prefect for my wife as well.  This Halloween I went as my Jedi persona, my oldest went as a young Obi-wan, my youngest as a Resistance pilot and my wife....a Hufflepuff.
Giving her a Yellow/Black saber and saying it's a Hufflepuff saber will be a nice touch

-

I’m a Ravenclaw; it’s why I got the Azure Fallen.

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2020, 12:01:47 AM »

I consider myself Ravenclaw as well, but my primary saber color will always be Green.

Funnily enough, the saber I am talking about in this thread with not be Green (unless I get a photon blade for it and I wish US made one)
I'm going with VA with silver FoC.  This is the only sound saber I plan to get ...for now...so I want a best color options (ya know without the expensive Emerald option).
VA + dark green color disc = Blue with green FoC
VA + orange color disc = Red with orange FoC

That pretty much covers all the main movie colors except green (got that covered elsewhere) and now yellow (which is too close to white for my taste)

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2020, 12:51:46 AM »

I consider myself Ravenclaw as well, but my primary saber color will always be Green.

Funnily enough, the saber I am talking about in this thread with not be Green (unless I get a photon blade for it and I wish US made one)
I'm going with VA with silver FoC.  This is the only sound saber I plan to get ...for now...so I want a best color options (ya know without the expensive Emerald option).
VA + dark green color disc = Blue with green FoC
VA + orange color disc = Red with orange FoC

That pretty much covers all the main movie colors except green (got that covered elsewhere) and now yellow (which is too close to white for my taste)

-

I don’t think that’s going to work quite like you want.  My Azure Fallen is set up for VA/DVA (pulsing) with Adegan Silver FOC, and I am using the color discs that are sold by UltraSabers.  Using handmade discs from the Lee Filters color swatch book (currently listed as “out of stock” here, but $2 each if they ever re-stock) might get you different results, because there are a BOATLOAD of different colors there.

VA + orange disc gives more of a pink color, and adding the dark-yellow disc to the orange one just makes it more obvious.  And then when it flashes, it just looks either deep yellow or deeper yellow.

Installing the darkest green disc (which is really more of a blueish-green) just shows up as blue or deeper blue on VA/DVA, and light blue on the FoC.

Installing the light green disc makes the VA/DVA into a much lighter/brighter violet, more like lavender, with the FoC just being a very light green. 

Combining both the green discs just filters out more of the red, leaving blue, blue, and slightly darker green for the FoC.

The problem you have is that you’ve got a light source that has only Blue and Red for the Violet Amethyst, and you’re using a filter (Dark Green) that isn’t up to the task of blocking enough of the red to make it clearly and intensely blue, and also isn’t dark enough to noticeably tint the white light during FoC.

Then when you’re using the orange one, you’re encountering the same problem, but the filter isn’t sufficiently blocking the blue, and it just isn’t up to snuff when it comes to tinting the white, either.

Again, if you get access to a wider variety of color film, you might be able to accomplish what you’re trying to do.

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 01:14:53 AM »

Will probably do Tri-AS for my wifes to eventually use Lee's filters, but I've already fallen in love with the colors shown here:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=40575.0

Simple VA with color discs

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 01:19:29 AM »

Will probably do Tri-AS for my wifes to eventually use Lee's filters, but I've already fallen in love with the colors shown here:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=40575.0

Simple VA with color discs

-

That looks pretty close to what I saw with the blue blade, but that does NOT look like the results I got for the red blade... maybe they got a darker green disc than I got.  Regardless, if you get yourself a wide variety of color filters, you have all kinds of options.

chalion
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 09:41:42 PM »

That looks pretty close to what I saw with the blue blade, but that does NOT look like the results I got for the red blade... maybe they got a darker green disc than I got.  Regardless, if you get yourself a wide variety of color filters, you have all kinds of options.

It may be closer to the your red then you think. Seeing it in a web browser compared to right in front of you makes a difference. Most smart phones won't accurately represent what your eye sees. Also, unless your computer monitor is set to accurately render colors, it will shade it to what the manufacturer specified when built, which in itself can have loose color palette tolerances.

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2020, 10:14:53 PM »

If it makes a difference, the set of 12 color discs comes with 2 greens and one of them is fairly dark. Same goes for the yellow/orange.

I think you need the dark green to make BLUE (as it blocks out more red) and the deep orange to make RED (as it blocks out most blue).
But even if the best you can get is BVA or Bane's Heart, I'd still call that a win (financially speaking) since VA + discs is half the cost of either of those premium colors, but you basically get all 3.

But I am excited to see how this color theory interacts with a Silver FoC.  In theory, it should be the same as your disc color.
So Blue/BVA would get a green FoC and Red/BH would has an orange FoC. But we will see.
I probably won't have my FoC saber in hand until mid-to-late FEB as I'm waiting for my DEC order to arrive before another order

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 11:38:02 PM »

But I am excited to see how this color theory interacts with a Silver FoC.  In theory, it should be the same as your disc color.
So Blue/BVA would get a green FoC and Red/BH would has an orange FoC. But we will see.
I probably won't have my FoC saber in hand until mid-to-late FEB as I'm waiting for my DEC order to arrive before another order

-

In my experimenting with your suggestions, I found that the white of the FoC was pretty powerful, and the color of the disc was pretty well washed out, but was still noticeable, especially if you know what you’re looking for.

Another option is to “double up” with a second layer of filter, once you get some theatrical color film material.  I have the Lee color filter book, but I still need to either find (assuming my wife has one in her scrapbooking supplies) or buy a 1” circle-punch, so that I can make shapes that actually look like circles, not blobs.  (I always had trouble cutting things with scissors and making them look right.)

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 11:05:45 PM »

Well, I pulled the trigger on a Raffle order that has a Sentinel v5 LE and a Dark Apprentice v5. Gonna swap the emitter blade sleeves so my Sentinel is mostly silver with gold trim and black windows, switch & choke point.
My wife's Apprentice will be all black with a silver switch and gold emitter blade sleeve. I'm also going to sand the grip sections to give some definition to those areas since they are so detailed.

I look forward to getting those sometime in February.

-

chalion
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 11:20:56 PM »

Congratulations and we hope to see a video review or at least pictures when you get them.

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2020, 11:36:52 PM »

Congratulations and we hope to see a video review or at least pictures when you get them.
Oh you will. In full Jedi garb and all. My Sentinel is going to be VA + silver FoC and I'll be doing a video with my color disc experiment results

-

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: