Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Can I use hot glue to attach a covertech wheel?  (Read 2015 times)
pgcoding
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 09, 2020, 11:17:58 PM »

I want to do that obviously but I'm not sure if it's safe for the metal.

Is it? Could I do that if I wanted?

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 11:25:46 PM »

You could do it, but it wouldn’t hold any weight.  So if you were doing this solely for the purpose of having it look pretty while the saber is setting on a display case somewhere, then sure, knock yourself out.  Otherwise, you’d be wasting your time.

But no, the hot glue won’t hurt the metal or the anodizing.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

pgcoding
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 12:30:33 AM »

What if I used superglue instead? Would that hold better than the hot glue would?

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 12:41:42 AM »

What if I used superglue instead? Would that hold better than the hot glue would?

Technically, yes, it will hold better than hot glue.  Realistically, it’s not going to hold well enough to be anything more than ornamental, just like the hot glue.  I know we’ve all seen that commercial where one drop on the top of a hard hat holds a fully-grown man suspended from whatever that crane is holding, but in real life, that’s just not the way super glue works. 

I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve been disappointed by that sad reality, but it’s just about equal to the number of times I’ve tried using super glue.

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

pgcoding
Force Sensitive

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 08:18:08 PM »

It's not that I don't trust your judgement, but I really want to try it... not with a lightsaber of course but just with metal and metal, because it really seems that hot glue would work. I don't know why I think that, it just makes sense. If it works, I think I'll just do that, and buy the lightsaber and covertech wheel separately, and if not then I'll probably just not use covertech at all unless I can find a better way to connect them.

Thanks for your advice!

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 03:50:17 AM »

While I also agree with Cyclops that no kind of glue will realistically hold the weight of a saber to your belt, nor the tugging of clipping and unclipping it, if you are dead set on trying this, I highly recommend scouring both surfaces that will be glued.
You can do this by either sanding with a course grit, making heavy scratches with a metal file, or even with a strong but somewhat blunt knife.
Making the surfaces course like this increases the microscopic surface area the glue has to bond with.

Let us know how it goes

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 04:00:41 PM »

It's not that I don't trust your judgement, but I really want to try it... not with a lightsaber of course but just with metal and metal, because it really seems that hot glue would work. I don't know why I think that, it just makes sense. If it works, I think I'll just do that, and buy the lightsaber and covertech wheel separately, and if not then I'll probably just not use covertech at all unless I can find a better way to connect them.

Thanks for your advice!

Hey, if you want to try this, it won’t hurt my ego.  You asked a question, and I answered based on my experience.  If you think maybe you’ll get better results, GO FOR IT!  I was trying to set expectations, not to prevent you from doing something you want to do.

While I also agree with Cyclops that no kind of glue will realistically hold the weight of a saber to your belt, nor the tugging of clipping and unclipping it, if you are dead set on trying this, I highly recommend scouring both surfaces that will be glued.
You can do this by either sanding with a course grit, making heavy scratches with a metal file, or even with a strong but somewhat blunt knife.
Making the surfaces course like this increases the microscopic surface area the glue has to bond with.

Let us know how it goes

-

Galef is right that surface prep is important.  If you do this, I would be interested to find out your results, too, so please do share how it went.  If there’s a way I can make hot glue or super glue work better for me by changing what I do or how I do it, I’d like to know.  Learning shouldn’t end just because I left school, and this kind of thing counts as learning.

Again, there’s no need to apologize to me if you want to do something that I think is not going to work; if everyone did that sort of thing, the Wright brothers would never have gotten beyond fixing bicycles in Dayton, Ohio.

neocaster
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 10:05:48 PM »

I would suggest drilling/tapping for the covertec wheel. It’s not as bad as it sounds. Any wheel you get should come with the small bolt. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 10:31:29 PM »

I would suggest drilling/tapping for the covertec wheel. It’s not as bad as it sounds. Any wheel you get should come with the small bolt. YMMV.

This. Screw it.

I'm sorry, but the obsession about hot glue is way out there.  That stuff has never been intended for more than arts and crafts make it look good quick, but not be durable. It will bond poorly to the smooth metal and will un-adhere in warm conditions. It works better on fabrics for costumes and such because the fibrous materials allows the molten glue to ooze between them and then solidify.

What's at stake?  If you put that on your belt, and it breaks, your hilt comes crashing to the ground. Or pavement.

That's gonna leave a dent in your aluminum, a soft metal. The shock may fracture the plastic in your battery case so it breaks.

And yeah, my belt clip slipped off, carrying my Grand Master to hit the pavement and all of that happened. Do not risk dropping your hilt.

pgcoding
Force Sensitive

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 10:28:16 PM »

What about like a JB Weld glue?
I've seen that that works on metal.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 10:50:13 PM »

What about like a JB Weld glue?
I've seen that that works on metal.

You'd want to do some testing.  The surface areas should be roughed up.  Smooth metal will break faster.

I've had a 50% success rate with JB weld in real world problems that the package said would work (easy stuff, not sealing a cracked engine block).

You know what will work?  Drill a hole and do the same fastening that UltraSabers does that the covertec wheel should come with.

Don't half-ass engineering.

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 180

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 01:33:13 AM »

I've been watching this thread and I need to chime in here.  In my 22+ years as a band director I've seen a lot of brass and woodwind instruments come back "repaired" after a part has fallen off and mom or dad (usually dad) has"fixed" it.  These "repairs" usually involve several of the things mentioned here: hot glue, super glue, JB Weld.  None of these repairs work as well as actually doing it the right way.  Hot glue won't hold anything more than a few ounces.  Super glue is not great for high use metals where the contact point might be under stress or flex.  JB Weld is about the same and is surprisingly flexible and weak even after it as cured.  My second year of teaching I had a trumpet student who had just about every solder come off after he dropped it leaving his horn in pieces (he swore he didn't know how it happened and found it like that when he opened the case; right  Roll Eyes ).  His dad "fixed" it with JB Weld instead of taking it to the shop to get it repaired.  The trumpet fell apart the next week.  It might have worked fine if the kid hadn't used it. 

My point is: don't rely on glues or any other methods other that what should be used unless you don't care about the saber or have money to burn (and if the later, send some to me).  If you have a drill, you can get a tapping drill (check the size need for the covertech) bit and do it yourself.  Go slow, be careful, and you will be fine. 

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 04:40:46 PM »

And if you don't have the tools (which is why I suspect the affinity for hot glue comes from), get on NextDoor.com and ask your neighbors if they can drill a hole in aircraft aluminum for a creative project.

Somebody in your neighborhood works in or has a shop that can do the job. And they'll probably be fascinated by what its for.

neocaster
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 04:43:54 PM »

…Somebody in your neighborhood works in or has a shop that can do the job. And they'll probably be fascinated by what its for.

This x 1000. A small fee for a small job pays dividends in results and peace of mind.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 06:59:50 PM »

Lets not discourage any further. I think seeing the attempts documented could be quite enlightening. Pics or vids of each type of glue/epoxy/attachment method would be great to see.
For educational purposes, of course.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex