Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Hilt and blade questions for spinning  (Read 2377 times)
Heartinflight
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 13, 2020, 02:57:32 PM »

I’m looking to get into saber spinning and had some questions about blade type and hilt length. I’m a 5ft 3in woman so I’m quite short, have small hands, and don’t have great arm strength. Ive done hoop spinning before but this is obviously much lighter than a saber. I’ve seen conflicting reviews recommending the heavy grade (harder to damage if you drop) and medium (heavy grade is too heavy for spinning) so I’m not sure what to go with there? Also while looking at hilts I’m not sure what to go with, I wanted to get either the apprentice le v5 or the sentinel le v5. The sentinel seems huge at >13” when I taped it off on a broom handle with a 32 inch blade. I know a 36” blade is way too big for me so I’m trying to find a hilt that will balance a 32” blade well. I fell in love with the look of these hilts but don’t know if they are alright for spinning as other posts usually recommend the less fancy/base models. Any info or help is greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time and knowledge!

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 180

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 03:21:12 PM »

My wife is 5’ 5”.  She has a Dominix v2 with a heavy grade blade that she uses for spinning and tossing.   She got the 36” blade but we cut it to 34”, taking off a half inch until she found the length and balance she liked.  One thing to note is that the blade length is the total length before it is put into the hilt.  So, the overall length may not be what you think it is.  The Apprentice and Sentinel both have pretty deep hilt sockets so that 36” blade may be closer to 34” or 33” when coming out of the hilt.  My advice is to focus on getting a hilt that is comfortable in your hands. You can then experiment with it and cut the blade down yourself (it isn’t too hard). 

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 03:31:27 PM »

You'd be fine with a mid grade 32 inch blade.  I'd suggest an apprentice or initiate saber for you.  I wouldn't worry about a heavy blade unless you're planning to hit another saber that has a heavy blade with any significant force.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 03:48:39 PM »

Like the gentlemen has stated, I'd go with a 32" blade and if that's still too long, you can always cut it down. No need for a heavy grade blade unless you're into combat

Tai Chi Chuan Wijchen
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 297

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 04:21:36 PM »

A few very experienced spinners already gave you awnsers.
My little advice. Think about the v4's instead of the v5's. The v5's look great but the windowed emitters tend to sometimes be sharp. a few of my students have v5's and they mostly use gloves because of that. One even cut her hand open. I'm a big fan of the Aeons, but because of your height, I think the Initiate v3 of v4 might be great. 32" is the right length and I'm one of the people who would advise Heavy grade blades because I allready damaged a HG while spinning, but feel free to use MG. I think it was just bad luck on my part.
And you might want to think about adding a different pommel to balance the hilt. I use a War Glaive pommel on my Aeon v4 with a 32"HG blade and the balancepoint is right at the emiter/upper chokepoint. Love that!

But in short my advice Initiate v3 or v4 with a 32"blade.

Good luck choosing and please have fun spinning.

Light Side points appreciated, when warranted.
> Phantasm v4 - CG
> Sentinel v4 staff - GB
> Phantom v4 - BR
> Dark Initiatet v2 - FO
> Free Initiate v2 - CG
> Aeon v3 - GB - Grabbag
> Sentinel v4 w/sound - CG - Mysterybox

Heartinflight
Force Sensitive

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 06:41:05 PM »

Thank you everyone so much for the info and suggestions! Definitely feel more like I know what I need now. Also big thanks for the heads up about the windows being sharp, I hadn’t even considered that! Will definitely look into a different hilt now! Really appreciate everyone taking the time to help a newbie out!

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 06:44:56 PM »

Pretty mush anything that obstructs you griping around the emitter wouldn't be as spin friendly as the other sabers. I started out on an Initiate V4 myself and when I used the larger V4s like the Aeon and Sentinel, I was happy with them since the full sized sabers give better hand placement in my opinion

Heartinflight
Force Sensitive

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 07:26:45 PM »

Pretty mush anything that obstructs you griping around the emitter wouldn't be as spin friendly as the other sabers. I started out on an Initiate V4 myself and when I used the larger V4s like the Aeon and Sentinel, I was happy with them since the full sized sabers give better hand placement in my opinion
Thanks after looking more into it I see that the traditional place to grip is higher up than I thought. Do you feel the full sized sabers like the aeon etc would still be good for someone with small hands or would it be too much length? I’m not sure how the length of the hilt affects the spin/ability to spin I guess is what I’m asking? Thank you for taking the time to write!

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 08:21:36 PM »

You're welcome and it all depends on your size and height. How tall are you? I'm 5'10 and the Aeon with a 32" blade is comfortable for me, 34 is too long and 36 is out of the question.  The hilt itself (Aeon, Dominix, and Sentinel V4s) are all 12.375" long without a blade and with a stunt pommel, the Initiate and Apprentices V4s are all 9.875" which is an overall of 2.5" difference between the smaller sabers and their larger siblings. 

I started off with the Initiate V4 and once I used the larger ones, I prefer them myself. I do know that the V5s (Minus the Sentinel or the Apprentice V5s), won't be spin friendly and that's from experience

Now, this is just me and everyone is different so I say, try it yourself.

Heartinflight
Force Sensitive

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 08:26:12 PM »

You're welcome and it all depends on your size and height. How tall are you? I'm 5'10 and the Aeon with a 32" blade is comfortable for me, 34 is too long and 36 is out of the question.  The hilt itself (Aeon, Dominix, and Sentinel V4s) are all 12.375" long without a blade and with a stunt pommel, the Initiate and Apprentices V4s are all 9.875" which is an overall of 2.5" difference between the smaller sabers and their larger siblings. 

I started off with the Initiate V4 and once I used the larger ones, I prefer them myself. I do know that the V5s (Minus the Sentinel or the Apprentice V5s), won't be spin friendly and that's from experience

Now, this is just me and everyone is different so I say, try it yourself.

I’m 5ft 3in and also physically small. I’m a woman which is why I am not sure about hilt sizing bc most threads I’ve read have been men discussing what size is right for them. But I know that my hands are quite a bit smaller than a guy who is the same height as me so that’s where I wasn’t sure about hilt length. If that makes sense?

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 08:31:57 PM »

I’m 5ft 3in and also physically small. I’m a woman which is why I am not sure about hilt sizing bc most threads I’ve read have been men discussing what size is right for them. But I know that my hands are quite a bit smaller than a guy who is the same height as me so that’s where I wasn’t sure about hilt length. If that makes sense?

My wife is 5'2 and uses an initiate with a 32 inch blade pretty comfortably.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 08:39:31 PM »

That makes a lot of sense, The Apprentice V5 or V4 should suit you and who knows, if the future, you may experiment with the larger sabers.

Darth_Ravn
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -134

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 05:13:04 AM »

Well I'm a small man, and the v2 fit very well in my hands. If you want 2 handed style, you need an Aeon or Dominix version.

V3,v4,v5 are good too, my hands are maybe a little too small for it but it's ok.
2 handed style : Aeon,Dominix,Sentinel
1 handed style : apprentice or initiate

You could cut the blade if it's too long, so I would take a 32" for a 2 handed style or mix 2 handed/1 handed style

If you want a double blade saber... I would go for a 24"

But keep in mind that a 32" can become a 24"... but a 24" can't become a 32"

Envoyé de mon SM-A105FN en utilisant Tapatalk

- Phantasm initiate v2 LE, TRI red ! (Stunt)
- Waiting for my order : double blade apprentice v5, LE, TRI BR, stunt, Quick disconnect coupler, custom pommels, and Yari Pike extension !!! ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH5VOSkgZArKbfYsutTdFfA

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: