Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: First time buyer; please sell me on Emerald, and a couple questions.  (Read 2677 times)
J_Von_Random
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 2

« on: January 14, 2020, 12:17:21 AM »

Hello,

I'm looking at the Dominix LE v5 (drool...). I've come down to either the Obsidian LITE, or O-LITE + Emerald versions.

Single color comes out to $225 before adding to cart. Emerald version $410. In theory I could buy 5 additional LEDs for the $185 difference. The downside is that it would require soldering every time I wanted to change colors (or soldering plugs onto the wires). I'm also not completely certain of the color, or rather; I know what color, but I also want all the other colors and can't afford a dozen sabers with sound.

First question: Emerald does not mean that the hilt will have the multiple buttons, correct? I'd rather do all setting changes through programming, not extra buttons.

Second question: can the Dominix LE v5 be purchased without the emitter windows?

Third, possibly dumb question: do I need to add a blade plug, then enter the plug code? Or do I just put in the plug code and it adds one to the cart?

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 12:40:55 AM »

Hello,

I'm looking at the Dominix LE v5 (drool...). I've come down to either the Obsidian LITE, or O-LITE + Emerald versions.

Single color comes out to $225 before adding to cart. Emerald version $410. In theory I could buy 5 additional LEDs for the $185 difference. The downside is that it would require soldering every time I wanted to change colors (or soldering plugs onto the wires). I'm also not completely certain of the color, or rather; I know what color, but I also want all the other colors and can't afford a dozen sabers with sound.

First question: Emerald does not mean that the hilt will have the multiple buttons, correct? I'd rather do all setting changes through programming, not extra buttons.

1 Button controls the Emerald controller. It turns it on, off and allows the color cycling to the presets you have.

Second question: can the Dominix LE v5 be purchased without the emitter windows?

As specified: "all v5 lightsabers will come standard with windowed emitters and AV Switches"

Third, possibly dumb question: do I need to add a blade plug, then enter the plug code? Or do I just put in the plug code and it adds one to the cart?

If you want the free blade plug ONLY, use the 350plug code. You do not need to buy one to use the code, only to be above the $350 cost not including shipping and AFTER any discounts. UltraSabers will put a random blade plug in with your order.

My question is, why do you list Emerald at $410? When Diamond is $410? Emerald without sound is $270, with Obsidian v3 is $375, v4 is $385.

I'll try and sell you on Diamond. It's the Ultimate expression of an UltraSabers lightsaber. You can change color font banks AND sound banks. You can set your own sounds to correspond to the colors you set. It also has gesture recognition that you can use, set up yourself, or not use at all. You also can set the flash on clash, pulse from one color to another. It really is quite versatile.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

neocaster
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 01:11:19 AM »

I’m not sure if a stunt saber comes with a quick disconnect, but you can buy your LED modules with it and leave the soldering iron unplugged on the bench. There are only 3 joints on the LED board, but I only break out the soldering iron (or ruining iron, as I call it on a bad day) as a last resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J_Von_Random
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 01:41:50 AM »

My question is, why do you list Emerald at $410? When Diamond is $410? Emerald without sound is $270, with Obsidian v3 is $375, v4 is $385.

I'll try and sell you on Diamond. It's the Ultimate expression of an UltraSabers lightsaber. You can change color font banks AND sound banks. You can set your own sounds to correspond to the colors you set. It also has gesture recognition that you can use, set up yourself, or not use at all. You also can set the flash on clash, pulse from one color to another. It really is quite versatile.

I was listing them with the options, same options for both: v4 sound, and illuminated switch. The nearly-same setup for Diamond comes out to $440... huh, I hadn't priced the diamond in a while.

Beyond the price the reason I wasn't looking at high end sound is that I didn't see what additional features I would use. Color on the other hand is easy to, uh, see. But a $30 increment isn't that much to get the maximally programmable version.

haydendavid380
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 01:53:00 AM »

I'd rather have the Obsidian Premium for the batteries, and if you'll be happy with a single color I'd go for that. If you have any inkling for different color, I'd skip the emerald and go straight to the top, for the diamond. Those are the two I'd take a look at. As far as I know, everything just has the single button.

As for the plug, I think your asking about the  free code plug. If so, you dont have to add anything to your cart, just add the code and make sure its accepted.

Lover of the light side

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 02:09:47 AM »

1. Emerald does not come with multiple buttons. The sound fonts are changed by the av button and the colors are changed thru software on your computer. (You'll need one of the old mini usb cords btw)
2.No. All the v5's automatically have windows in them. It's a built in feature of the v5 series.
3.No. Do not add a blade plug unless you want to pay for one and get a free one additionally with the code. Simply skip it and enter the code in the checkout area.

Dominix v4 can be ordered w/o windows but the style (imo) is definitely lacking compared to the v5.  Hope this helps!

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 02:39:37 AM »

Questions 1-3 have already been nicely answered.

However, I'm pretty sure you cannot get the Obsidian LITE with the Emerald board, since the LITE sound card can only run on 4 AAA batteries, and the Emerald requires Li-Ion batteries. And I cannot find that combination available when spec'ing out a saber on the main site.

So if you want Emerald, you're either getting it without sound, or with the Obsidian v3 or v4, or you're just going ahead and getting Diamond.

Personally, I never have the urge to change blade colors, while I do like to change sound fonts sometimes, so I'm probably not the best person to try to convince you to go either Emerald or Diamond. But I would get the Obsidian v4 if you're getting sound (or Diamond since you're into changing you blade color). And a recharge port if you're getting a saber at all. Always get the recharge port.

Dominix v4 can be ordered w/o windows but the style (imo) is definitely lacking compared to the v5.  Hope this helps!

I cannot help but find this amusing, since I don't really care for the v5's. I'd end up removing the emitter flanges and putting a flush pommel on it, which means I'd more or less have a v4, except I don't care for the choke points on the v4's. So basically it comes down to not giving a flying leap about what it looks like and caring about how comfortable it is to wield, which means I'm using v3's. No, they aren't pretty, but they're comfortable to use dueling, spin great, and are less expensive. Which is all purely my personal opinion, and if nothing else, means there are more v4's and v5's for the people who do like them.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

J_Von_Random
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 05:11:35 AM »

Thanks to everyone who has answered! I think I've settled on a Dominix LE v5, Fire Orange, Obsidian v4, silver orange switch.

One more question: I'm unsure about FoC. I'm thinking about using silver/white FoC as a mimic of the saber contact "spark", but I can't tell very well from the videos I've seen if the feature does a good enough job to mimic that. Opinions?

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 06:00:47 AM »

Thanks to everyone who has answered! I think I've settled on a Dominix LE v5, Fire Orange, Obsidian v4, silver orange switch.

One more question: I'm unsure about FoC. I'm thinking about using silver/white FoC as a mimic of the saber contact "spark", but I can't tell very well from the videos I've seen if the feature does a good enough job to mimic that. Opinions?

I can’t tell you if it mimics the spark well enough to make you happy, but I can vouch for the fact that it works well enough in that color combo to make ME happy.  The Silver (white) FoC is a good general choice because it is visibly different from most of the highly-visible blade colors.  When you start getting into the lighter shades, the contrast isn’t so great, but it quite clearly shows with all the colors loaded by default into the Diamond saber.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 10:22:31 AM »

So are you going V4 sound with Emerald or Premium? (I really DO love my emerald saber!)

Sakura mentioned a recharge port. I have to second it. It's NOT a case of being too lazy to pull the batts and put in the charger but rather a concern that every time I do this, either a battery wrap is going to tear or I'm going to snap something off. That's the one thing I wish I'd gotten on my Emerald Sentinel v5. Other people have said they don't have any issues; but some do.  Keep it in mind for any further orders ya might make.

Agree w/ Cyclops on the foc silver. It's quite nice. Another added benefit of the Emerald driver though is that you can change the foc if you like, along w/ having a pulse mode that can make the blade look alive. (An pyrestone orange blade with a sentinel flash on clash look AWESOME btw!)

Whatever you get, I'm certain you'll be happy with it and it will leave you wanting MOAR! A tip on processing times atm---they are super backed up (to the point that even emails/calls are behind!) so I wouldn't expect to see your order completed for abt a month.  Just go into it knowing that and you won't be disappointed. MTFBWY!

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

J_Von_Random
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 11:51:39 AM »

So are you going V4 sound with Emerald or Premium? (I really DO love my emerald saber!)

Sakura mentioned a recharge port. I have to second it. It's NOT a case of being too lazy to pull the batts and put in the charger but rather a concern that every time I do this, either a battery wrap is going to tear or I'm going to snap something off. That's the one thing I wish I'd gotten on my Emerald Sentinel v5. Other people have said they don't have any issues; but some do.  Keep it in mind for any further orders ya might make.

Agree w/ Cyclops on the foc silver. It's quite nice. Another added benefit of the Emerald driver though is that you can change the foc if you like, along w/ having a pulse mode that can make the blade look alive. (An pyrestone orange blade with a sentinel flash on clash look AWESOME btw!)

Whatever you get, I'm certain you'll be happy with it and it will leave you wanting MOAR! A tip on processing times atm---they are super backed up (to the point that even emails/calls are behind!) so I wouldn't expect to see your order completed for abt a month.  Just go into it knowing that and you won't be disappointed. MTFBWY!

Premium. The Diamond is more than I'm willing to spend right now once the charging port is added. Also it doesn't feel quite right to get the illuminated AV switch in a given color, and not have the saber in that color as well.

As for processing I saw in another thread that raffle orders are held till the end of the month anyway, so delays are expected. No hurry. Unfortunately I am acutely aware of how hobby addiction works. Tis a dangerous thing Grin. Doesn't help that the other saber that particularly caught my eye is the Dominicide....

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 01:26:08 PM »

A quick note on your comment on the AV switch: UltraSabers only use single-colour switches, so if you want an AV switch with Emerald, you'd have to go with the non-illuminated version. A matching illuminated AV switch is almost impossible on an Emerald saber due to the fact that it can create any colour...I have a green one on my Archon v2.1 (and I find it looks quite good there), but if you want it to match any colour, that's not possible.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

J_Von_Random
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 02:52:28 PM »

A quick note on your comment on the AV switch: UltraSabers only use single-colour switches, so if you want an AV switch with Emerald, you'd have to go with the non-illuminated version. A matching illuminated AV switch is almost impossible on an Emerald saber due to the fact that it can create any colour...I have a green one on my Archon v2.1 (and I find it looks quite good there), but if you want it to match any colour, that's not possible.

Yep, was one of the concerns I had with the Emerald; it would only make sense to use white illumination, or none at all.

However I just placed the order: Dominix LE v5 Premium Sound, Fire Orange, Silver FoC, Obsidian v4, Orange/Silver AV switch, recharge port. + mystery box.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 04:21:13 PM »

Nice!

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

neocaster
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 04:34:07 PM »

As long as you’re spending that kind of bread, might as well throw a mystery bag/box into your cart. Save the $ on shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: