Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: New Buyer. Should I go for Double sided first or more fancy single saber?  (Read 912 times)
Light-sided SIth
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

Sith rejecting the dark side. Light points here.

« on: January 14, 2020, 02:09:01 AM »

So I'm a first time buyer looking into buying something here. I have already got my eye caught by the light initiate v5 le and started looking into how ranged in price a stunt version can be. I also got my eye caught by the phantasm v2 and apprentice v4 on the double sided sabers and looked into those too. Which is ideal for a first timer who might not duel (yet) because it's purely a cosmetic stunt?

Waiting to get: Apprentice v4 staff: Sentinel Yellow (both sides), Stunt
Planning to get: Empress LE Adegan Silver and Discs, LITE sound, no FoC
Wishlist:
Crimson Menace Fire Orange Obsidian v4
Crimson Fallen Fire Orange, Obsidian v4

Sakura No Kaze
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -175

DS if I've earned a point.

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 02:51:36 AM »

Well, do you want one saber or two? That's the real question.

Or, look at it this way:

With one saber, you have one saber.
With two sabers, you have a double bladed saber, or you have two sabers, or you have one saber.

Which means with two sabers, you can show off your fancy spinning skills (in my case for about 10 seconds before I broke a lamp and ceiling fan, at the same time), or you can give one saber to someone else to duel with, or you can look awesome with a saber. Or double awesome with two sabers.

Of the three sabers you listed, I'm a bit biased. I don't particularly care for the v5's (purely personal preference on my part, there is nothing wrong with them, they look good and all, but they're just not to my personal taste), I own the Apprentice v4 double bladed saber, and I've handled the Phantasm.

The Phantasm v2 is a solid "Good" in my book. Simple design, comfortable, easy to use. My only real dislike about it is the smaller diameter of the hilt.

The Apprentice v4 is a solid "Awesome" in my book (and it's larger counterpart, the Sentinel v4 is even better). It's comfortable, easy to use one handed, has a good choke point, and is just all around a great saber (or double bladed saber if you have two). Also you can use a much wider variety of coupler with the Apprentice than you can the Phantasm (meaning you can get an adjustable one to line everything up, or a quick disconnect one to switch to two sabers without having to disconnect the coupler and then put the pommels on).

Hopefully that helps, let us know what you end up ordering.

Give a person an answer to their question and they get your answer. Teach a person how to use the forum Search function, and they get everyone's answer.
---------------------------------------------------------------
"My battery is low and it's getting dark" ~Final message from the Mars Opportunity rover, after exceeding it's 90 day mission plan by 14+ years.

Light-sided SIth
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 03:12:09 AM »

With one saber, you have one saber.
With two sabers, you have a double bladed saber, or you have two sabers, or you have one saber.

Which means with two sabers, you can show off your fancy spinning skills (in my case for about 10 seconds before I broke a lamp and ceiling fan, at the same time), or you can give one saber to someone else to duel with, or you can look awesome with a saber. Or double awesome with two sabers.
Hopefully that helps, let us know what you end up ordering.
The two sabers from double sided sabers is what caught my eye in the first place. I've reached the coupler part on the custom designing, and I assume the quick release ones are the ones specified. A little out of budget, but not too much, so if I don't pick too many pricey options I can still get it with shipping. Still not definitive but might get double. Don't know if 24" or 32" is  better for me but that's for me to decide later.

Wishlist:

Darth_Ravn
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -134

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 05:03:25 AM »

In my opinion, definitely double saber ! You will get a coupler, 2 sabers, 2 pummels, so you can do what you want.

If you choose the phantasm v2, keep in mind that the coupler is only made for the v2 version. You can remove the coupler and put pommels, but not as quick as with a QR

If you take a v3, v4 or v5, they are all MHS compatible, so you can take the QR coupler, or any MHS coupler. And you can mix v3,v4,v5 to create a really cool double bladed

I've both phantasm v2 and 2 apprentice v5, both good for spinning or duel, and the QR coupler. (I made a review of both sabers on YouTube, with English subtitles, and the QR coupler too)

If you are tall, you can choose a 32". I'm small so I took 24, definitely the best choice for me (I'm 1m62, sorry I'm French I don't know how to tell my size in inches xD)

Envoyé de mon SM-A105FN en utilisant Tapatalk

- Phantasm initiate v2 LE, TRI red ! (Stunt)
- Waiting for my order : double blade apprentice v5, LE, TRI BR, stunt, Quick disconnect coupler, custom pommels, and Yari Pike extension !!! ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH5VOSkgZArKbfYsutTdFfA

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 02:27:48 PM »

My first order was for a Phantasm V2 and a Phantasm Initiate V2 for me an my boys.  In total the order cost just a bit more than the Saber with sound & FoC that I want to eventually order, but were are getting FOUR total sabers for the 3 of us (well, 1 for each of them and a small double for me).
As our first Ultrasabers, I am vey glad this was what we are getting (whenever it ships, that is).

For me, I only really need (well, want) 1 saber with sound & FoC to feel like I have a "real" lightsaber.  All others can just be durable glow sticks and I'm fine with that. And the V2s are quite sleek and easy to customize with pvc/grips, etc
Although only getting 1 sound/FOC saber is making my decision on which hilt/color to get a bit difficult

-

Tazflyr
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 142

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 10:08:44 PM »

The two sabers from double sided sabers is what caught my eye in the first place. I've reached the coupler part on the custom designing, and I assume the quick release ones are the ones specified. A little out of budget, but not too much, so if I don't pick too many pricey options I can still get it with shipping. Still not definitive but might get double. Don't know if 24" or 32" is  better for me but that's for me to decide later.

Go with a 32" simply bc  you can cut those down if need be; whereas a 24" blade can't grow.

Galef...consider an emerald driver w/ v4 sound for your one sound saber. I think you'll like it!

Aeon LE v4, Guardian Blue (Mystery Box)
Dark Sentinel v5 (Emerald)
The Fallen, Bane's Heart
Grandmaster, Diamond
SI Battle saber, SRD
Dark Apprentice LEv4, Red

Wish List
Emperor's Hand
Azure Savior & Butcher
Dominix v3

When I die, don't let my wife sell my sabers & guitars for what I told her I paid for them, please.

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 10:20:57 PM »

Galef...consider an emerald driver w/ v4 sound for your one sound saber. I think you'll like it!
Oh no doubt I'd love it.  But I'd love 2-3 sabers with lite-sound far better and that would cost about the same.  I've no interest in paying more than $250 for any saber (unless it's a double).  That's just too much for a glorified glow stick

And more importantly, my wife would kill me. I can get away with multiple purchases around $200 and under, but a single saber purchase over $300? No, I prefer to sleep in my bed rather than the couch

-

Light-sided SIth
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 10:57:27 PM »

Go with a 32" simply bc  you can cut those down if need be; whereas a 24" blade can't grow.
Cut those down before purchase or physically cut the blade down?

Wishlist:

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 11:15:02 PM »

Cut those down before purchase or physically cut the blade down?

They're suggesting get the 32 inch blades and if you think they're too long, then cut them down yourself.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Light-sided SIth
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 11:41:40 PM »

New question: Adegan Silver + Color Discs vs getting the color I want (Guardian Blue)? Respond here because here is where I'll check: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=43614.0

Wishlist:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: