Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Everyone's stoked for Rey's yellow blade, but what fascinates me  (Read 3789 times)
Fathom
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: January 14, 2020, 04:16:04 AM »

Is her switch. The wheel switch seems super practical, no? I'm new to the hobby (and the forums, obvs. Hi!), so maybe my exposure has just been limited, but what's up, US?

EccOMyth
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 06:01:48 AM »

With Yellow blades have been around for a while now, nothing exciting there for me. But yes the switch/saber style of that final one is very cool. But the real question is where did she get the 3rd Kyber crystal from for it?

"Well, I assure you, I see more grey than dark or light. I'm just a stubborn old man, tired of the foolishness of others."
―Jolee Bindo, to Revan, in the Shadowlands of Kashyyyk

*Sentinel v4 LE Windowed Stunt w/Orange Blade
*Fulcrum AV Emerald v3 w/Sound
*Aeon V5 LE w/Premium Sound and SRD
*Initiate v4 ~2020 Winter Raffle 2nd Place Prize Upgraded to Diamond

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 03:21:09 PM »

With Yellow blades have been around for a while now, nothing exciting there for me. But yes the switch/saber style of that final one is very cool. But the real question is where did she get the 3rd Kyber crystal from for it?

Sounds like a new movie!   ;-)

I agree on the switch.  The wheel switch was pretty cool, and practical.  I am wondering if we will see one from US.  (hint hint)  We have had yellow for a while, but I think Rey is the first main character to have one, so that's kind of exciting.

But that whole saber...  Yeah. Very original.  The little cover plates that open up on the emitter were also very cool, though I would think they'd be hard to maintain and would eventually be deleted for simple safety.  But they definitely add to the "awesome" factor.  Plus using her existing staff as the hilt material was brilliant.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Galef
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 209

Light side preferred, Dark side accepted

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 04:09:04 PM »

I'd enjoy some kind of non-movie canon explanation behind Yellow sabers and if Rey having one is somehow connected to the Jedi Sentinels having them.
I could easily see this being some kind of pre-republic era mentality that balances the ideals behind the Guardians (blue) and Consulars (green).

I've seen it explained that if the "problem" was a locked door:
Gaurdians would try to break the door
Consulars would knock
Sentinels would try to pick the lock

I could see that beign the case with Rey

-

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 04:20:23 PM »

I'd enjoy some kind of non-movie canon explanation behind Yellow sabers and if Rey having one is somehow connected to the Jedi Sentinels having them.
I could easily see this being some kind of pre-republic era mentality that balances the ideals behind the Guardians (blue) and Consulars (green).

Consulars would knock

-
There are many "explanations" for the yellow blades, and I don't think any are really canon, so we may have to wait for one.  But most sources pin the blade color on the actual crystal used, rather than a specific characteristic.  Your quote is one I have heard before, and it tends to be accurate in regards to the Sentinels.  Sentinels were often also "Sith Hunters", and so they were very combat-oriented in that sense but more widely in tune with the force than a typical guardian.

Basically, there's a lot of info on Sentinels and it is somewhat contradictory.  So you can make of it what you wish. LOL

AS for Rey...   I think they were after showing balance in her saber color choice.  In the light spectrum you make yellow by mixing green and red, so there's a very compelling reason to say that's the reason she's carrying a yellow blade.  But it could also be her crystal, especially if she recovered Kylo's saber and "redeemed" his crystal somehow...

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 04:22:45 PM »

Consulars would knock

-

They say that, but right away in the Phantom Menace, Qui-Gon jams his saber point first into a door to cut it open.  No knocking.

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 04:38:09 PM »

They say that, but right away in the Phantom Menace, Qui-Gon jams his saber point first into a door to cut it open.  No knocking.
Good catch! I actually laughed to myself.  But arguably, Qui-gon knew knocking wasn't going to work in that situation, so the philosophy still holds up. He was there as a diplomat first and foremost

-

Fathom
Force Sensitive

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 11:46:11 PM »

Lol BuT ThE SwItCh!

Seriously, it makes so much sense for an edgeless weapon to be able to held in any manner without worrying about deactivating it. Could a switch like that function on a stunt saber? I'm no engineer, but it doesn't seem far-fetched. I'd be ok with having to change sounds and colors from a USB if it meant that freedom of grip.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 05:09:51 PM »

Good catch! I actually laughed to myself.  But arguably, Qui-gon knew knocking wasn't going to work in that situation, so the philosophy still holds up. He was there as a diplomat first and foremost

-

ah but a true Consular knows that it isn't that it wouldn't work.  It's so that he can truly say, "I knocked first."

Darth Griff
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -4

And now we shall have peace....Lore Expert.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 11:40:21 AM »

Gold blades aren’t reserved solely for Temple Guardians though.

Valenthyne Farfalla used a gold blade back in the sith wars (Darth Bane books), he was a master, and then the Grand Master of the jedi and not a temple guardian. 

So ‘gold/yellow’ may mean ‘sentinel’ or ‘guardianship’ in some way shape or form. But in his case it certainly didn’t. Jedi were at war against the sith in their thousands while he carried his golden blade. 

So is Reys a new crystal in itself or her existing crystal changing blade colour due to the having a new role in the force...

Hmmmm.....

JJ wanted some questions left open for fans to discuss. Seeing as that scene was some time later, obviously by the change of location, and that she had taken the time to construct a new lightsabre, id like to think it implies that she had learned more, obtained her own crystal, and chosen that colour for guardianship of the Jedi lore reasons. 

Dark side point fiend....

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 02:43:16 PM »

Gold blades aren’t reserved solely for Temple Guardians though.

Valenthyne Farfalla used a gold blade back in the sith wars (Darth Bane books), he was a master, and then the Grand Master of the jedi and not a temple guardian. 

So ‘gold/yellow’ may mean ‘sentinel’ or ‘guardianship’ in some way shape or form. But in his case it certainly didn’t. Jedi were at war against the sith in their thousands while he carried his golden blade. 

So is Reys a new crystal in itself or her existing crystal changing blade colour due to the having a new role in the force...

Hmmmm.....

JJ wanted some questions left open for fans to discuss. Seeing as that scene was some time later, obviously by the change of location, and that she had taken the time to construct a new lightsabre, id like to think it implies that she had learned more, obtained her own crystal, and chosen that colour for guardianship of the Jedi lore reasons. 

I'm not sure if it's canon or legends, but I think I heard that the Yellow of the Sentinels/Temple Guard isn't made by them specifically as all the saber-pikes they use are identical and are passed down from Sentinel to Sentinel.
So the original "traits" of force users that create yellow kyber cystals may not perfectly align with the traits of Jedi Sentinels, who may still create blue/green crystals in their own sabers.
If true, that would align well with the old canon/now legends Darth Bane/Old Republic reasons for yellow sabers

In terms of movie-telling, Rey's yellow saber definitely represents her taking the Jedi into a different direction then they were at the end days of the Republic filled with mostly Guardians & Consulars.

-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 12:02:26 AM »

I still don’t understand why she buried Luke’s saber.  The location of storage makes sense, if you’re trying to make sure it can eventually be found if for some reason that particular saber is ever needed again, I suppose.  It also makes sense if she is burying what’s left of him (since his body disappeared) at an emotionally significant location, but I’m not really clear on any of that.

I freely admit I am not nearly as steeped in Star Wars lore as many of you; I have seen all the movies, including many re-watches of Episodes 4, 5, and 6 (because that’s all that I had available in theaters and on VHS at the time); I’ve read one or two novels, and I’ve picked up the occasional comic over the years (but those were few and far between, because I was already spending most of my comic budget (and sometimes more than my comic budget) on other titles), but I’ve never indulged in fan-fiction or any of the video games (well... I tried LEGO Star Wars on the Wii, but I can’t get out of the cantina, so that doesn’t really count), and I’m sure I missed a lot of callbacks and fan service in the last three movies.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Galef
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 12:10:16 AM »

Yeah, I'm not sue there is a reason other than symbolism.  Would have been SUPER cool if she just welding Luke's and Leia's into a saber-staff.  But her having her own, not blue nor green lightsaber made from parts of her staff has it's own symbolism too, so it's ok.

What I am disappointed by is the lack of Luke's green saber.  When Luke brought Rey to his hut and she started pulling the wrapped item from the wall, I literally sat up in my seat at the theatre thinking it was his green one.  It's cool that it was Leia's, but I really wanted it to be that classic green.

-

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 01:26:51 AM »

I think the burial was pure symbolism.   Moving from the past to the present.   The two sabers represent the very last of the "Old Republic" era construction, though technically Leia's saber was after that.  Rey is the new face of the Jedi, the rebuilder.  She is The Skywalker.

Plus it puts them out there as objects to be discovered and recovered in the future.  :-)

Darth Griff
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -4

And now we shall have peace....Lore Expert.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 08:56:25 AM »

Is it not befitting that the twins are buried together beneath the twin suns of Lukes home?

The symbolism is very obvious.

There were no bodies to bury of course.

And Rey as a new jedi has her own sabre.

To bury the very embodiment of the twins there brings the movie series to an appropriate close.

Dark side point fiend....

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: